Abdul Hamid Bin Abdullah
Mr. Abdul Hamid Bin Abdullah
BEng Hons (Polymer Engineering), MSc (Polymer Engineering), MIEAust, CPEng (Engineers Australia), TAE Cert IV
Programme Coordinator | Department of Mechanical Engineering | Faculty of Engineering and Science
Lecturer | Department of Mechanical Engineering | Faculty of Engineering and Science
Telephone: +60 85 630100 Extn: 2515
Location: Skylark (SK3)-350
ORCID Profile: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-0178-4508
ResearchGate Profile: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Abdul_Hamid_Abdullah
Mr. Abdul Hamid is an experienced researcher and lecturer, with a focus on the field of polymer composite materials. He obtained his Bachelor of Engineering degree from Universiti Sains Malaysia in 2008, and pursued his MSc degree in the same field under the supervision of Prof Hanafi Ismail from USM. During his MSc studies, he gained valuable research experience as a research officer at USM from 2008 to 2011. After completing his MSc, Mr. Abdul Hamid gained industry experience as a DCS Engineer and Radiation Protection Officer with Tokuyama Corporation, Japan. Upon his return to Malaysia, he worked with Tokuyama Malaysia to train new field engineers and operators on the latest technology transfer for polycrystalline silicon manufacturing plant operation. After his time at Tokuyama Malaysia, Mr. Abdul Hamid joined Curtin Malaysia, where he worked in various departments before being appointed as a Lecturer in the Mechanical Engineering Department, Faculty of Engineering and Science. He has recently been appointed as a program coordinator for mechanical engineering, where he brings his expertise and knowledge to help guide and shape the future of the program. With a keen interest in the areas of polymeric composite materials, materials characterization, and materials testing, Mr. Abdul Hamid continues to contribute to the research community through his extensive knowledge in these fields.
- Polymers, Composites
- Materials Characterization
- Biomaterials, Green Materials
- Recycled Materials
- Lecturer, Mechanical Engineering, Curtin Malaysia (July 2018 – Current)
- Lecturer, Petroleum Engineering, Curtin Malaysia (Jan 2015 – Jun 2018)
- Lecturer, Process Plant Technology, Curtin Malaysia (Jun 2012 – Dec 2014)
- Engineer, Tokuyama Malaysia Sdn. Bhd (Mar 2012 – Jun 2012)
- Engineer, Tokuyama Corporation, Japan (Mar 2011 – Feb 2012)
- Research Officer, Universiti Sains Malaysia (May 2008 – Feb 2011)
- Internship, Hokuetsu Seishi Paper Mills Ltd, Japan (May 2007 – July 2007)
- Long Service Award, Curtin University Malaysia
- Best Paper Award – One Curtin International Postgraduate Conference 2018
- Engineering Materials
- Resources, Processes and Materials Engineering
- Engineering Foundations: Principles, Design and Communication
- Fundamentals of Strength of Materials
- Advanced Strength of Materials
- Machine Dynamics
- Diploma Subjects/Units
- Engineering Foundation Subjects/Units
Research Grants and Consultancy Projects
- Performance of green composite material incorporating of cockle-shells and polypropylene fiber, Curtin Sarawak (Curtin Sarawak Research Fund), Principal Investigator, RM10,000 (Completed, 2016)
- Matrix Density Influence on Dispersion Behaviour of Oil Palm Filler Reinforced Epoxy Green Nanocomposite, Fundamental Research Grant Scheme of the Ministry of Education (FRGS), Co-Investigator, RM103,200 (On-going)
- Nano-Cockle Shell Biofiller Effects on Weathering Resistance Behavior of Epoxy Bio-Composites in Seawater Marine Application, Curtin Malaysia Research Institute Collaborative Research Scheme (CMRI-CRS), Principal Investigator, RM 36,650 (On-going)
- Wong, D., Anwar, M., Debnath, S., Hamid, A., & Izman, S. (2022). The Influence of Matrix Density on The Weibull Modulus of Natural Fiber Reinforced Nanocomposites. In Materials Science Forum, Vol. 1074, pp. 3–9.
- Dominick Wong, Mahmood Anwar, Sujan Debnath, Abdul Hamid, Sudin Izman, A.K. Basak, Alokesh Pramani (2022) Tensile Strength and Morphological Behavior of Treated Oil Pam Empty Fruit Bunch Particle Reinforced Polymeric Composite, Materials Science Forum, 1064 MSF, pp. 27-37.
- Wong, D., Anwar, M., Debnath, S., Hamid, A., Izman, S. (2021) A Review: Recent Development of Natural Fiber-Reinforced Polymer Nanocomposites, JOM, 73 (8), pp. 2504-2515.
- Wong, D., Anwar, M., Debnath, S., Hamid, A., Izman, S., Pramanik, A. (2021) Degassing process influence on tensile strength of neat e132 epoxy polymeric materials, Materials Science Forum, 1026 MSF, pp. 129-135.
- H. Abdullah, A. A. Bakar, H. Ismail, A. W. M. Kahar and S. Debnath (2019) The Effects Of Accelerated Weathering On The Tensile Properties Of Kenaf Reinforced Biocomposites, IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, doi:10.1088/1757-899X/495/1/012110
- T. Oo, A.H. Abdullah, M. Anwar, N. A. N. Khandoker, S. Islam and S. Debnath (2019) IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, doi:10.1088/1757-899X/495/1/012094
- W. Kai, A.H. Abdullah and S. Debnath (2019) Mechanical Properties of Hybrid Polymer Composite Using Natural Fiber and Nanoparticle, IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, doi:10.1088/1757-899X/495/1/012095
- Faisal Amri Tanjung, Yalun Arifin, Abdul Hamid Abdullah, and Iqmal Tahir (2017) Bilayer-Structured Regenerated Cellulose/Chitosan Films Prepared with Ionic Liquid, Indones. J. Chem., 17 (3), pp. 351 – 359
- Kahar AWM, Ismail H, Abdul Hamid A. (2016). The correlation between crosslink density and thermal properties of high-density polyethylene/natural rubber/thermoplastic tapioca starch blends prepared via dynamic vulcanisation approach, Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, 123(1) pp. 301-308.
- Ismail, A. Hamid Abdullah, A. Abu Bakar (2010) Kenaf Core Reinforced High-Density Polyethylene/Soya Powder Composites: The Effects of Filler Loading and Compatibilizer, Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, 29 (16) pp. 2489-2497.
- Ismail, A. Hamid Abdullah, A. Abu Bakar (2010) Effects of Silane Based Coupling Agent on the Properties of Kenaf Core Reinforced High Density Polyethylene (HDPE)/Soya Powder Composites, Polymer-Plastics Technology and Engineering, 49 (11) pp. 1095-1100.
- Ismail, A. Hamid Abdullah, A. Abu Bakar (2010) Influence of Acetylation on the Tensile Properties, Water Absorption and Thermal Stability on High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE)/Soya Powder/Kenaf Core Composites, Journal of Vinyl and Additive Technology, 17(2) pp.132-137.
- Felix Wong Wei Zie, Sujan Debnath, Mahmood Anwar and Abdul Hamid Abdullah, Enhancing Mechanical Performance of Bagasse Fiber-Epoxy Composite by Surface Treatment, 10th International Conference on Manufacturing Science and Technology (ICMST 2019), Sabah, August 9-11, 2019
- Abdul Hamid Bin Abdullah, Hanafi Ismail, Azhar Abu Bakar, Sujan Debnath, The Effects of Oxidized Polyethylene as a Compatibilizer on the Tensile and Water Absortion Properties of Biocomposites, 7th International Conference on Manufacturing Science and Technology, Curtin Sarawak, Miri, Sarawak, July 16-18th 2016
- Abdul Hamid bin Abdullah, Jaffrey Naan, Chew Ing Ming, Natallee Faith Kwan, An overview: Developing the minds through practical support for Diploma of Process Plant Technology Students in Curtin Sarawak, 2ndInternational Higher Education Teaching and Learning Conference 2013, Parkcity Everly Hotel, Miri, Sarawak, December 9-10th 2013
- Programme Coordinator, Mechanical Engineering Department (2023)
- Chair, Board of Studies, Mechanical Engineering Department (2023)
- Accreditation Committee, Mechanical Engineering Department (2023)
- Head, Faculty’s IP and Commercialization Working Group (2022)
- Board of Studies, Engineering First Year, Faculty of Engineering (2021-Current)
- Committee Member, Students and Alumni Relation Committee (SARC) (2022)
- Committee Member, Faculty’s Safety and Health (2016-2022)
- Committee Member, Faculty’s Website and Marketing (2015-2016)
- Committee Member, Student Staff Consultative Committee (SSCC) (2015-2016)
- Internal Academic Auditor for Diploma of Instrumentation and Control Engineering (2014)
- Management Committee for Azman Islamic Centre, Curtin Malaysia (2016-2018)
- Committee Member, Curtin Malaysia Open Day (2012-2015)
- Unit Leader for Teaching Units (2012-2022)
- Board of Examiners (2012-2022)
- Chief Invigilator for Final Exams (2012-2022)
- Curtin Malaysia Representative for Sarawak Education Expo (2022)
- Chartered Professional Engineer, Engineers Australia
- Graduate Engineer, Board of Engineers Malaysia
- Graduate Member, Institute of Engineers Malaysia
- Member, International Association of Engineers (IAENG)