Tan Inn Shi
Ir. Ts. Dr. Tan Inn Shi
Ph.D, B.Eng. (Hons), PEng, CPEng, P.Tech, MIEAust, AMIChemE, NER, FHEA
Location: Skylark 3 Room 368
Telephone: +60 85 630 100 Ext: 2511
Fax: +60 85 630 254
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=uyiNdYIAAAAJ
- Ph.D in Chemical Engineering, Universiti Sains Malaysia, 2011-2015
- Bachelor Degree in Chemical Engineering, Universiti Malaysia Pahang, 2006-2010
- 14 Dec 2022, Curtin Global Awards for Global Industry Engagement, Curtin University, Perth.
- Nov 2022, Curtin Excellence and Innovation in Teaching Awards for University Associates, Curtin University, Perth.
- Oct 2022, Curtin Malaysia Most Productive Researcher Award 2022, Curtin University Malaysia.
- 1 Dec 2021, Curtin Malaysia Best Early Career Researcher Award 2021, Curtin University Malaysia.
- 5-7 Aug 2021, Outstanding IEM YES Branch Award 2021 (YES Miri Branch), IEM Young Engineers National Summit 2021, The Institution of Engineers Malaysia (IEM), Served as Vice-Chairperson I (Session 2020/2021)
- ACS’ Outstanding Student Chapter Award for 2019 – 2020, ACS International Student Chapter of Curtin University Malaysia, Society Committee on Education (SOCED) of Washington DC-based American Chemical Society (ACS), Served as Faculty advisor
- 26–28 Nov 2018, Best Paper Award, 11th Curtin University Technology, Science and Engineering (CUTSE) International Conference, Curtin University Malaysia.
- 2017-2018, Certificate of Recognition for Outstanding Score in FOES teaching evaluation, Curtin University Malaysia.
- 2017, Students’ Choice Award, Department of Petroleum Engineering, Curtin University Malaysia
- 15-17 Aug 2017, Bronze Award, Novel Research and Innovation 2017, Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM), Penang, Malaysia.
- Life cycle Assessment Modeling
- Fermentation & Optimization
- Bioprocess Engineering
- Process Dynamics and control
- Hydrodynamic stability
- Chemical Reaction Engineering
Research Project and Funding
- CURTIN MALAYSIA RESEARCH INSTITUTE COLLABORATIVE RESEARCH SCHEME (CMRI-CRS), Mechanism of cellulose nanofillers agglomeration behaviour in weakening thermo-mechanical stability of polymer nanocomposite matrices, Curtin University Malaysia, Chief investigator, 2022, RM50,000.
- CURTIN MALAYSIA RESEARCH INSTITUTE COLLABORATIVE RESEARCH SCHEME (CMRI-CRS), Extraction of proteins from kernel cake of sacha inchi as a potent alternate protein source, Curtin University Malaysia, Co-investigator, 2022, RM50,000.
- CMRI – Innovative and Collaborative Matching Grant Scheme (ICMG), Development and efficacy of a smart Integrated Microalgae-Aquaculture Recirculating System (IMARS) for sustainable aquaculture farming in Sarawak, Curtin University Malaysia, Co-investigator, 2022, RM120,000.
- Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (FRGS), Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE), Malaysia, Elucidating biotransformation mechanisms of extremophiles assisted emerging contaminants (ECs) degradation in a drinking water treatment system, Co-investigator, 2022, RM97,950.
- Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (FRGS), Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE), Malaysia, Elucidating the Reaction Kinetic and Conversion Mechanism of Hydrolyzed Non-Edible Cerbera Odollam (Sea Mango) Oil into Polyhydroxyalkanoates (PHA) Bioplastic, Co-investigator, 2021, RM146,000.
- Yayasan UTP Fundamental Research Grant (YUTP-FRG), Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS, Integration of seaweed biomass in microalgae harvesting process for biodiesel and bioethanol production, Co-investigator, Aug 2021, RM187,232.
- Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (FRGS), Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE), Malaysia, Hydrophobic modified honeycomb tubular biochar with enhanced adsorption capability of volatile organic compounds: Characterization and kinetics study, Co-investigator, 2020, RM84,200.
- Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (FRGS), Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE), Malaysia, Mechanism of multistage nano-enabled microbial fermentation of macroalgae to produce high optically pure lactic acid for biodegradable polymer, Chief investigator, 2019, RM132,080.
- Sarawak Research & Development Council Grant Scheme (Research initiation fund), Sarawak research and development council, Sarawak, Malaysia, Pilot Plant Scale Supercritical CO2 Extraction of Natural Antioxidant from Brucea Javanica Seeds Used for Pharmaceutical Applications, Chief investigator, 2019, RM50,000.
- Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (FRGS), Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE), Malaysia, Determining the underlying biomineralization mechanism on eggshell membrane to enable bio-templated synthesis of structured inorganic nano-crystalline material using soluble eggshell membrane., Co-investigator, 2018, RM89,970.
Journal Publications (Selected)
- Tiong, Adrian Chiong Yuh, Inn Shi Tan, Henry Chee Yew Foo, Man Kee Lam, Hisham Ben Mahmud, Keat Teong Lee, and Pau Loke Show. “Study on the synergism of cellulose nanocrystals and janus graphene oxide for enhanced oil recovery.” Geoenergy Science and Engineering 221 (2023): 111242.
- Kam, Yik Lam, Kar Mun Lee, Uganeeswary Suparmaniam, M. Rashid Shamsuddin, Jun Wei Lim, Inn Shi Tan, Bridgid Lai Fui Chin, Pau Loke Show, and Man Kee Lam. “Potential of Using Manure in Microalgae Cultivation for Third Generation of Biofuel Production.” In Manure Technology and Sustainable Development, pp. 85-105. Singapore: Springer Nature Singapore, 2023.
- Chong, Soo Ling, Inn Shi Tan, Henry Chee Yew Foo, Yen San Chan, Man Kee Lam, and Keat Teong Lee. “Ultrasonic‑assisted molten salt hydrates pretreated Eucheuma cottonii residues as a greener precursor for third-generation l-lactic acid production.” Bioresource Technology 364 (2022): 128136.
- Thanh, Nguyen Tien, Marhaini Mostapha, Man Kee Lam, Syukriyah Ishak, Yaleeni Kanna Dasan, Jun Wei Lim, Inn Shi Tan, Sie Yon Lau, Bridgid Lai Fui Chin, and Tony Hadibarata. “Fundamental understanding of in-situ transesterification of microalgae biomass to biodiesel: A critical review.” Energy Conversion and Management 270 (2022): 116212.
- Yat, Yu Dong, Henry Chee Yew Foo, Inn Shi Tan, Man Kee Lam, and Steven Lim. “Carbon dots and miniaturizing fabrication of portable carbon dots-based devices for bioimaging, biosensing, heavy metals detection and drug delivery applications.” Journal of Materials Chemistry C (2022).
- Suparmaniam, Uganeeswary, Nagoor Basha Shaik, Man Kee Lam, Jun Wei Lim, Yoshimitsu Uemura, Siew Hoong Shuit, Pau Loke Show, Inn Shi Tan, and Keat Teong Lee. “Valorization of fish bone waste as novel bioflocculant for rapid microalgae harvesting: Experimental evaluation and modelling using back propagation artificial neural network.” Journal of Water Process Engineering 47 (2022): 102808.
- Dasan, Yaleeni Kanna, Man Kee Lam, Jun Wei Lim, Inn Shi Tan, Henry Chee Yew Foo, Peck Loo Kiew, Pau Loke Show, and Keat Teong Lee. “The impact of using recycled culture medium to grow Chlorella vulgaris in a sequential flow system: Evaluation on growth, carbon removal, and biochemical compositions.” Biomass and Bioenergy 159 (2022): 106412.
- Suparmaniam, Uganeeswary, Man Kee Lam, Jun Wei Lim, Suzana Yusup, Inn Shi Tan, Sie Yon Lau, Pravin Kodgire, and Surendra Singh Kachhwaha. “Influence of environmental stress on microalgae growth and lipid profile: a systematic review.” Phytochemistry Reviews (2022): 1-23.
- Tong, Kevin Tian Xiang, Inn Shi Tan, Henry Chee Yew Foo, Man Kee Lam, Steven Lim, and Keat Teong Lee. “Advancement of biorefinery-derived platform chemicals from macroalgae: a perspective for bioethanol and lactic acid.” Biomass Conversion and Biorefinery (2022): 1-37.
- Chung, Millicent Rosette Wan Yi, Inn Shi Tan, Henry Chee Yew Foo, and Man Kee Lam. “Exergy analysis of a biorefinery process for co-production of third-generation L-lactic acid and electricity from Eucheuma denticulatum residues.” Energy 242 (2022): 122968.
- Kai Hui Wong, Tan IS*, Henry Chee Yew Foo , Li Min Chin , Joel Rui Neng Cheah, Jenny Kiing Sia, Kevin Tian Xiang Tong, Man Kee Lam, Third-generation bioethanol and L-lactic acid production from red macroalgae cellulosic residue: Prospects of Industry 5.0 algae. 2022. Energy Conversion and Management.
- Tong KT, Tan IS*, Foo HC, Lam MK, Lim S, Lee KT. Advancement of biorefinery-derived platform chemicals from macroalgae: a perspective for bioethanol and lactic acid. Biomass Conversion and Biorefinery. 2022 Mar 17:1-37.
- Tiong AC, Tan IS, Foo HC, Lam MK, Mahmud HB, Lee KT. Facile asymmetric modification of graphene nanosheets using κ-carrageenan as a green template. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science. 2022 Feb 1;607:1131-41.
- Cheng, Yoke Wang, Jeremy Sheng Ming Lim, Chi Cheng Chong, Man Kee Lam, Jun Wei Lim, Inn Shi Tan, Henry Chee Yew Foo, Pau Loke Show, and Steven Lim. Unravelling CO2 capture performance of microalgae cultivation and other technologies via comparative carbon balance analysis. Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering 9, no. 6. 2021: 106519.
- Suparmaniam U, Shaik NB, Lam MK, Lim JW, Uemura Y, Shuit SH, Show PL, Tan IS, Lee KT. Valorization of fish bone waste as novel bioflocculant for rapid microalgae harvesting: Experimental evaluation and modelling using back propagation artificial neural network. Journal of Water Process Engineering. 2022 Jun 1;47:102808.
Edited Research Book
- Lam, M.-K., Lim, J.-W., Cheng, Y.-W. & Tan, I.-S. (2021) Biofuel Production from Microalgae, Macroalgae and Larvae: Processes and Conversion Technologies, Nova, ISBN 9781685071165
- Board of Engineer Malaysia (BEM)- Graduate Engineer
- Board of Engineer Malaysia (BEM)- Professional Engineer
- The Institution of Engineers, Malaysia- Graduate member
- Malaysian Membrane Society (MyMembrane)- Member
- Engineers Australia- MIEAust CPeng
- IChemE-Associate Member
- MBOT- Graduate Technologist and Professional Technologist
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- American Chemical Society (ACS)-Member