Dr. Tony Hadibarata
Ph.D., Ts., C.Eng., C.WEM, C.Sci., FHEA, MCIWEM
Department of Civil and Construction Engineering
Head, Bio-Process & Technology Research Cluster
Programme Coordinator, Master of Science (Sustainable Aquaculture)
Telephone: + 60 85 630100 Extn: 2501
Location: Skylark 3 (SK3) Room 323
Detailed CV can be downloaded here: Curriculum vitae
- Scopus Author ID: 16233109100. https://www.scopus.com/authid/detail.uri?authorId=16233109100
- Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=3Ne0AhMAAAAJ&hl=en
- Web of Science: https://www.webofscience.com/wos/author/record/533471
- ORCID ID: 0000-0002-1060-994X. http://orcid.org/0000-0002-1060-994X
- Researchgate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Tony_Hadibarata/
- Environmental chemistry
- Environmental microbiology.
- Environmental engineering
- Bioremediation of toxic pollutants
- Water and wastewater treatment
- Microbial enzyme
- Ph.D. Environmental Chemistry and Microbiology (2009). Ehime University, Japan
- M.Sc. Environmental Chemistry and Microbiology (2006). Ehime University, Japan
- B.Sc. Forest Product Technology and Environmental Science (2001). Mulawarman University, Indonesia
- Associate Professor, February 2017- Present, Faculty of Engineering and Science, Curtin University, Malaysia
- Head of Bio-Process & Technology Research Cluster, May 2018 – Present
- Program Coordinator of Master of Sustainable Aquaculture, February 2020 – Present.
- Visiting Professor, 2021, Center for Coastal Disaster Mitigation and Rehabilitation Studies (COREM), Universitas Diponegoro, Indonesia
- Honorary Faculty, 2021-2023, Faculty of Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati, India.
- Senior Lecturer, May 2010- January 2017, Centre for Environmental Sustainability and Water Security, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia.
- Chartered Water and Environmental Manager (C.WEM) No. 326165
- Chartered Engineer (C.Eng) No. 688258
- The Institution of Environmental Sciences (MIEnvSci) No. IES/64404.
- Chartered Scientist (CSci)
- The Institution of Engineers Indonesia (Persatuan Insinyur Indonesia/PII) No: 2305.17.044349
- Fellowship of Advance HE (FHEA) Ref No. PR208615
- Professional Technologist (P.Tech) Malaysia Board of Technologies No. PT22010324
- Tropical Aquatic and Soil Pollution (e-ISSN 2798-3056)
- Editorial Member
- Adsorption Science and Technology (JCR Q1 Impact Factor 4.232)
- Water Air Soil Pollution (JCR Q3 Impact Factor 2.5)
- Indonesian Journal of Pharmacy (SJR Q3)
- Reviewing Journal
- Tropical Aquatic and Soil Pollution (e-ISSN 2798-3056)
Invited/Keynote Speaker and committee of conference, Invited International Lectures, and External examiner can be seen in CV
Referee for scientific publications: https://www.webofscience.com/wos/author/record/533471.
- Environmental Monitoring & Analysis
- Environmental Chemistry & Microbiology
- Hydraulics and Hydrogeology
- Building Dissertation
- Environmental Consideration in Construction
- Green Engineering, Principles and Application
- Groundwater Contamination
- Environmental Engineering Analysis
- Environmental Sustainable Development
- Geoenvironmental Engineering
- Environmental Engineering Research Project
- 3 Post-doc/ visiting researcher (Completed)
- 5 PhD (Completed), 8 PhD (Ongoing)
- 17 Master (Completed), 7 Master (2 ongoing)
- 47 UG (Completed), 1UG (Ongoing)
Detailed student can be seen in CV
Journal Publications (limited to 2022-2023)
Full publication can be seen in CV
* Corresponding author
- Aris Ismanto, Tony Hadibarata*, Denny Nugroho Sugianto, Muhammad Zainuri, Risky Ayu Kristanti, Ulung Jantama Wisha, Undang Hernawan, Malya Asoka Anindita, Audrey Primus Gonsilou, Mohamed Soliman Elshikh, Amal M. Al-Mohaimeed, Arshad Mehmood Abbasi (2023). First evidence of microplastics in the water and sediment of Surakarta city river basin, Indonesia. Marine Pollution Bulletin. JCR Q1 Impact Factor 5.8.
- Aris Ismanto, Tony Hadibarata*, Risky Ayu Kristanti, Denny Nugroho Sugianto, Sugeng Widada, Warsito Atmodjo, Alfi Satriadi, Malya Asoka Anindita, Amal M. Al-Mohaimeed, Arshad Mehmood Abbasi (2023). A novel report on the occurrence of microplastics in Pekalongan River Estuary, Java Island, Indonesia. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 196, 115563. JCR Q1 Impact Factor 5.8.
- Ismallianto Isia, Tony Hadibarata*, Ratih Indri Hapsari, Muhammad Noor Hazwan Jusoh, Rajib Kumar Bhattacharjya, Noor Fifinatasha Shahedan (2023). Assessing Social Vulnerability to Flood Hazards: A Case Study of Sarawak’s Divisions. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, 97, 104052. JCR Q1 Impact Factor 5.
- Kevin Tian Xiang Tong, Inn Shi Tan, Henry Chee Yew Foo, Stephanie Yen San Chan, Tony Hadibarata, Man Kee Lam (2023). Emerging technologies for conversion of sustainable macroalgal carrageenan biomass into L-lactic acid: A state-of-the-art review. MATEC Web Conference, 377, 01019. Scopus
- Shamini Anboo, Sie Yon Lau, Jibrail Kansedo, Pow-Seng Yap, Tony Hadibarata;Azlina Harun Kamaruddin (2023). Synthesis of Enzyme-based Organic-Inorganic Hybrid Nanoflower Particles. MATEC Web Conference, 377, 01011. Scopus
- Ismallianto Isia, Tony Hadibarata*, Muhammad Noor Hazwan Jusoh, Rajib Kumar Bhattacharjya, Noor Fifinatasha Shahedan, Norma Latif Fitriyani, and Muhammad Syafrudin. (2023). Identifying Factors to Develop and Validate Social Vulnerability to Floods in Malaysia: A Systematic Review Study. Sustainability15, 12729. JCR Q1 Impact Factor 3.889.
- Noor Fifinatasha Shahedan, Tony Hadibarata, Mohd Mustafa Al Bakri Abdullah, Muhammad Noor Hazwan Jusoh, Romisuhani Ahmad (2023). Challenges in Corrosion Management for Marine Infrastructure. The Bulletin of the American Concrete Institute
- Tony Hadibarata*, Palanivel Sathishkumar (2023) Novel approaches for bioremediation of contaminants of emerging concern. Bioprocess Biosystem Engineering, 46: 307. JCR Q2 Impact Factor 3.434.
- Muhammad Noor Hazwan Jusoh, Yudi Sukmono, Azmi Aris, Tony Hadibarata, Adhi Yuniarto, Hisyam Jusoh, Mohamed Zuhaili Mohamed Najib (2023). Agro-Based Wastewater Profile by Biological Treatment of Pond Treatment System. Biointerface Research in Applied Chemistry 11(4); 11616-11629. Scopus SJR Q4.
- Aris Ismanto, Yudi Sukmono, Tony Hadibarata*, Peck Kah Yeow, Elis Indrayanti, Dwi Haryo Ismunarti, Gentur Handoyo Removal of Remazol brilliant blue r and Remazol brilliant violet 5r dyes from aqueous solution by adsorption using coffee residue. Environmental Quality Management, Scopus SJR Q3.
- Yudi Sukmono, Wei Jie Ngu, Tony Hadibarata*, Muhammad Syafrudin (2023), Modeling of Adsorption of Copper on Activated Leaf-Based Biomass using Response Surface Methodology (RSM) Biointerface Research in Applied Chemistry, 13, 490. Scopus SJR Q4.
- Risky Ayu Kristanti, Tony Hadibarata* (2023). Phytoremediation of Contaminated Water using Aquatic Plants, Its Mechanism and Enhancement. Current Opinion in Environmental Science & Health, 32, 100451.
- Aris Ismanto, Sugeng Widada, Warsito Atmodjo, Alfi Satriadi, Hendry Siagian, Novia Safinatunnajah, Tony Hadibarata (2023). Spatial distribution and hydrodynamics simulations of heavy metal contamination in marine environment of Pekalongan, Indonesia, Environmental Quality Management, Scopus SJR Q3.
- Tony Hadibarata*, Risky Ayu Kristanti, Muhammad Bilal, Murat Yilmaz, Palanivel Sathishkumar (2023), Biodegradation mechanism of chlorpyrifos by halophilic bacterium Hortaea B15, Chemosphere, 312, 137260. JCRQ1 IF 8.943
- Ismallianto Isia, Tony Hadibarata*, Muhammad Noor Hazwan Jusoh, Rajib Kumar Bhattacharjya, Noor Fifinatasha Shahedan, Aissa Bouaissi, Norma Latif Fitriyani, and Muhammad Syafrudin (2023). Drought Analysis Based on Standardized Precipitation Evapotranspiration Index and Standardized Precipitation Index in Sarawak, Malaysia. Sustainability15, no. 1: 734. JCR Q1 Impact Factor 3.889.
- Aris Ismanto, Tony Hadibarata*, Widada, S. et al.(2023). Groundwater contamination status in Malaysia: level of heavy metal, source, health impact, and remediation technologies. Bioprocess Biosystem Engineering. JCR Q2 Impact Factor 3.434.
- Sultana Razia, Tony Hadibarata*, Sie Yon Lau (2023) Acidophilic Microorganisms in Remediation of Contaminants Present in Extremely Acidic Conditions Bioprocess Biosystem Engineering. JCR Q2 Impact Factor 3.434.
- Wong Wilson, Nurul Noraziemah Mohd Pauzi, Mohamad Shazwan Ahmad Shah, Tony Hadibarata* (2023). Urban households in Malaysia: Characteristics of electrical energy use and attitudes. AIP Conference Proceedings, 2706, 020171.
- Anboo, S., Lau, S. Y., Kansedo, J., Yap, P.-S., Tony Hadibarata,Jeevanandam, J., & Kamaruddin, A. H. (2022). Recent advancements in enzyme-incorporated nanomaterials: Synthesis, mechanistic formation, and applications. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 1– 30. JCRQ2 IF 4.395
- Nafsiah Binti Hussain, Eda Taga Akgül, Murat Yılmaz, Şerife Parlayıcı & Tony Hadibarata* (2022): Preparation and characterization of low-cost activated carbon from Moringa oleifera chemically activated using ZnCl2 for the adsorption of bisphenol A, International Journal of Phytoremediation, JCR Q2 Impact Factor 4.003.
- Syafrudin, G. Alfian, N. L. Fitriyani, T. Hadibarata, J. Rhee and M. Anshari, (2022). Future Glycemic Events Prediction Model Based on Artificial Neural Network. 2022 International Conference on Innovation and Intelligence for Informatics, Computing, and Technologies (3ICT), 2022, pp. 151-155, doi: 10.1109/3ICT56508.2022.9990708.
- Nguyen Tien Thanh, Marhaini Mostapha, Man Kee Lam, Syukriyah Ishak, Yaleeni Kanna Dasan, Jun Wei Lim, Inn Shi Tan, Sie Yon Lau, Bridgid Lai Fui Chin, Tony Hadibarata (2022). Fundamental understanding of in-situ transesterification of microalgae biomass to biodiesel: A critical review, Energy Conversion and Management, 270: 116212. JCR Q1 Impact Factor 11.533.
- Daniel Kuok Ho Tang, Tony Hadibarata (2022) The application of bioremediation in wastewater treatment plants for microplastics removal: a practical perspective. Bioprocess Biosystem Engineering45, 1865–1878. JCR Q2 Impact Factor 3.434.
- Carol Emilly Hoareau, Tony Hadibarata*, Murat Yılmaz (2022). Occurrence of cadmium in Groundwater in China: A review. Arabian Journal of Geosciences. 15;1455. JCR Q3 IF 1.827.
- Risky Ayu Kristanti, Tony Hadibarata, Nilam Wulandari, Mada Triandala Sibero, Yeti Darmayanti, Ariani Hatmanti (2022). Overview of Microplastics in The Environment: Type, Source, Potential Effects and Removal Strategies. Bioprocess and Biosystem Engineering 43: 2305-2314. JCR Q2 Impact Factor 3.434.
- Jian Song Gan, Muhammad Bilal, Xiao Bing Li, Syed Zakir Hussain Shah, Badr A. Mohamed, Tony Hadibarata, Hairong Cheng (2022). Peroxidases-based enticing biotechnological platforms for biodegradation and biotransformation of emerging contaminants. Chemosphere, 307,13605. JCRQ1 IF 8.943
- Tony Hadibarata*, Risky Ayu Kristanti, Muhammad Bilal, Amal M. Al-Mohaimeed, Tse-Wei Chen, Man Kee Lam (2022). Microbial degradation and transformation of benzo[a]pyrene by using a white-rot fungus Pleurotus eryngii Chemosphere, 307,136014. JCRQ1 IF 8.943
- Risky Ayu Kristanti, Tony Hadibarata*, Muhammad Syafrudin, Murat Yılmaz, Shakila Abdullah (2022). Microbiological Contaminants in Drinking Water: Current Status and Challenges, Water, Air Soil Pollution 233, 299. JCR Q3 Impact Factor 2.984.
- Aditya Putranto, Zi Wei Ng, Tony Hadibarata, Muhammad Aziz, Jason Yi Juang Yeo, Suryadi Ismadji, Jaka Sunarso (2022). Effects of pyrolysis temperature and impregnation ratio on adsorption kinetics and isotherm of methylene blue on corn cobs activated carbons, South African Journal of Chemical Engineering, 42, 91-97,
- Nurul Ain Shahanaz Hamidin, Shakila Abdullah, Farhah Husna Mohd Nor, Tony Hadibarata (2022). Isolation and identification of natural green and yellow pigments from pineapple pulp and peel, Materials Today: Proceedings, 63, S406-410. Scopus.
- Abrar Muslim, Abubakar, Pocut Nurul Alam, Husni Usman, Gusti Randa, Agus Haris Widayat, Andy Yahya Al Hakim, Tony Hadibarata (2022). Silicified coal adsorbents for adsorption of Cu(II) from the aqueous Solution: Non-Linear kinetic and isotherm studies, Materials Today: Proceedings, 63, S400-S405.
- Aris Ismanto, Tony Hadibarata*, Risky Ayu Kristanti, Lilik Maslukah, Novia Safinatunnajah, Palanivel Sathishkumar (2022). The abundance of endocrine-disrupting chemicals (EDCs) in downstream of the Bengawan Solo and Brantas rivers located in Indonesia. Chemosphere 297, 134151. JCR Q1 IF 8.943.
- Risky Ayu Kristanti, Adhi Yuniarto, Tony Hadibarata (2022) Adsorption of Basic Dyes Crystal Violet on Agricultural Biomass: Characterization, Isotherm, and Kinetic Studies. International Journal of Integrated Engineering, 14, 269-275. SJR Q3.
- Aris Ismanto, Tony Hadibarata*, Risky Ayu Kristanti, Lilik Maslukah, Novia Safinatunnajah, Wulan Kusumastuti, (2022) Endocrine disrupting chemicals (EDCs) in environmental matrices: Occurrence, fate, health impact, physio-chemical and bioremediation technology. Environmental Pollution, 302, 119061. JCR Q1 Impact Factor 9.988.
- Kuok Ho Daniel Tang, Tony Hadibarata (2022) Seagrass Meadows under the Changing Climate: A Review of the Impacts of Climate Stressors. Research in Ecology, 4, 27-36.
- Chi Nam Yap, Tony Hadibarata* (2022) Remediation of contaminated soil with crude oil by composting, Journal of Civil Engineering, Science and Technology, 13, 49-58.
- Rubiyatno, Teh, Z.C., Lestari, D. V., Yulisa, A., Musa, M., Chen, T.-W., Darwish, N.M., AlMunqedhi, B. M., Hadibarata, T. (2022). Tolerance of earthworms in soil contaminated with polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon. Industrial and Domestic Waste Management, 2(1), 9–16.
- Salman, M., Demir, M., Tang, K.H.D., Cao, L.T.T., Bunrith, S., Chen, T.-W., Darwish, N. M., AlMunqedhi, B. M., Hadibarata, T. (2022). Removal of Cresol Red by Adsorption Using Wastepaper. Industrial and Domestic Waste Management, 2(1), 1–8.
Tony Hadibarata (2012). Bioremediation of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons by Fungi. LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing GmbH & Co. KG. ISBN 978-3-8473-1967-2
- Biomolecules Emerging Approach in Agriculture, Pharmaceuticals and Environment Management. 2023. ISBN 9780323994767. Edited by Ajay Kumar, Muhammad Bilal, Luiz Fernando Romanholo Ferreira, Kumari Madhuree. Academic Press, Cambridge. https://www.elsevier.com/books/microbial-biomolecules/kumar/978-0-323-99476-7.
Enzyme immobilization on alginate biopolymer for biotechnological applications (Chapter 21; page 471-488) Azeem Intisar, Mateen Hedar, Ahsan Sharif, Ejaz Ahmed, Nazim Hussain, Tony Hadibarata, Mohammad Ali Shariati, Slim Smaoui and Muhammad Bilal. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-323-99476-7.00008-9
Prospecting bio-enzymes for a greener environment (Chapter 20; page 451-470), Areej Shahbaz, Nazim Hussain, Syeda Saba, Ijaz Gul, Mohsin Khurshid, Zahra Derakhshan, Tony Hadibarata and Muhammad Bilal. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-323-99476-7.00009-0
- Biotransformation of Anthraquinone Dye by Microbial Enzymes. ISBN 978-981-19-0525-4. Edited by Khadir, A., Muthu, S.S. (eds) Hadibarata, T., Alarjani, K.M., Al-Mohaimeed, A.M. Biological Approaches in Dye-Containing Wastewater. Sustainable Textiles: Production, Processing, Manufacturing & Chemistry (Page 87-106). Springer, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-19-0526-1_4
- Rhizomicrobiome Dynamics in Bioremediation. 2021. ISBN 0367419661. Edited by Vivek Kumar. Heavy Metal Contamination in Groundwater and Potential Remediation Technologies (Chapter 12; Page 231-252). Yung Shen Lee, Peck Kah Yeow, Tony Hadibarata, Mohamed Soliman Elshikh. Taylor & Francis, CRC Press, Boca Raton, USA.
- Issues and Technology in Water Contaminants. ISBN 9789835216916. Edited by Mohd Hafiz Puteh & Noorul Hudai Abdullah. Agricultural Waste as Alternative Adsorbent for New Emerging Pollutant Removal in Aqueous Solution (Chapter 9; Page 139-157). Zainab Mat Lazim, Salmiati, Mohd Razman Salim, Tony Hadibarata. UTM Press, Johor Bahru, Malaysia.
- Environmental Research in Asia for Establishing a Scientist’s Network. ISBN 978-4-88704-148-6. Edited by Yumiko Obayashi, Tomohiko Isobe, Annamalai Subramanian, Satoru Suzuki and Shinsuke Tanabe. Published by TERRAPUB, Tokyo, Japan.
- Identification of Phenanthrene Metabolites Produced by Polyporus S133. pp., 293-299.
- Enhanced chrysene biodegradation by Polyporus S133 in presence of a synthetic surfactant. pp. 301-308.
- Oxidative Degradation of Benzo[a]pyrene by the Ligninolytic Fungi. pp. 309-316.
- Microbial Degradation of Crude Oil by Fungi Pre-Grown on Wood Meal. pp. 317-322.
- Microbial Degradation of n-Eicosane by Filamentous Fungi. pp. 323-329.
- Tropical Woods: Properties and Utilizations, 2005. ISBN 9794205834. An Analysis of Nutrient Content and Characteristics of Adhesive Industrial Liquid Waste in Order to Prevent Contamination of the Aquatic Environment p. 339-343. Edited by Sipon Muladi, Zainul Arifin. Published by Gajah Mada University Press, Yogyakarta, Indonesia.
- 2023, Bronze Award, Innovation Technology Expo (InTEX), Universiti Malaysia Sarawak Malaysia, Supervisor
- 2022, Curtin University, Research and Development Award 2022, Recipient
- 2023, Gold Award, 13th Creation, Innovation, and Research Exposition (CITREX), 2023, Universiti Malaysia Pahang, Gambang, Pahang, Malaysia, Supervisor.
- 2022, Gold Award, Persidangan Dan Ekspo Ciptaan Institusi Pengajian Tinggi Antarabangsa (Pencipta22’), 2022, Universiti Malaysia Kelantan, Kota Bharu, Kelantan, Malaysia. Supervisor.
- 2022, Silver Award, Innovative Technology Expo (InTEX), Universiti Malaysia Sarawak Malaysia, Supervisor.
- JP2009166027-A. Purifying oil-polluted soil. Comprises adding S133 strain (NITE P-461) to the oil-polluted soil.
Research Funding (Selected)
Full research funding can be seen in CV
- Project Leader. Aerogel-based magnetic nanocomposites for water decontamination. EU Grant: Romania’s National Recovery and Resilience Plan. 2023-2026. Euro 1,416,895.72. In Progress.
- Project Leader. Biomonitoring of Oil-Resistant Bacteria in Coastal Water and Sediment of Miri City, Sarawak, Malaysia. Kurita Overseas Research Grant. JPY 399,190. In Progress
- Project Leader. Development of extremophilic microbes on core-shell composites for eco-friendly wastewater treatment. Japan-ASEAN Science, Technology and Innovation Platform (JASTIP). JPY 499,788. In Progress
- Co-Investigator. Precision early warning system using Internet-of-thing for forest fire in peatland. Japan-ASEAN Science, Technology and Innovation Platform (JASTIP). JPY 496,200. In Progress
- Co-investigator, Isolation and Identification of Microplastics Degrading Microbes on the Coastal Area of Borneo Island. Collaborative Research: Center for Oceanography, National Research and Innovation Agency (BRIN) (Grant ID: RP1WBS1-029). IDR 170,000,000. Completed
- Co-investigator, Development of Ligninolytic Enzymes on Core-Shell Magnetic Nanocomposite for Environmental Friendly Oils Spills Removal Collaborative Research: Center for Oceanography, National Research and Innovation Agency (BRIN) (Grant ID: RP1-TP3B 1-32). IDR 170,000,000. In Progress.
- Principle collaborator, Impact of Climate Change on the Integrated Flood Vulnerability Index of Hilly terrain, ASEAN-India Collaborative R&D grant (IIT Guwahati, Curtin Malaysia, Universiti Teknologi Brunei). Feb 2019 – Jan 2021. Ref No: USD 30,000. Completed.
- Project Leader. The study of white-rot fungi biodiversity in tropical forest of Sarawak, Malaysia. Nagao Natural Environmental Foundation, Japan. Nov 2017 – October 2018. USD4,600.
- Project Leader. Characterization of magnetic enzyme activated carbon (Magnezyme) for effective removal of oil spills. TWAS-COMSTECH Research Grants, Italy. Dec 2017 – May 2019. USD5,670.
- Project Leader. Occurrence and fate of estrogenic chemicals and estrogenicity in river waters of Indonesia and Malaysia. AUN/Seed Net: Collaborative Research Program for Common Regional Issues (CRC), JICA, Japan. Vote J130000.7322.4B231. May 2016 – December 2018. USD 50,000. Completed.
- Project Leader. Sarawak Research Development Council. Development of bioactive compound and enzyme for controlling sandflies in Miri, Sarawak. 2023-2025. MYR 94,100. In Progress.
- MySaBRIX: App based Brix refractometer to measure brix index of fruits and vegetables in Sarawak. 2019-2020. RM150,000 / USD 36,000. Completed.
MINISTRY OF SCIENCE, SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY AND INNOVATION – E-Science FUND
- Project Leader. Development of Polycylic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs) degradation method using consortium of crude enzyme isolated from fungus and earthworm (Eisenia fetida). Vote 4S110. August 2014 – January 2017. MYR 146,700 / USD45,690. Completed.
MINISTRY OF EDUCATION – PROTOTYPE RESEARCH GRANT SCHEME (PRGS FUND)
- Project Leader. Development of ligninolytic enzyme on core-shell nanocomposites for ecofriendly oil spills removal. Vote. September 2016 – August 2018. MYR95,000 / USD23,300. In progress
MINISTRY OF EDUCATION – FUNDAMENTAL RESEARCH GRANT SCHEME (FRGS FUND)
- Project Leader. Elucidating biotransformation mechanisms of extremophiles assisted emerging contaminants (ECs) degradation in a drinking water treatment system. September 2022 – August 2024. MYR 97,950
- Project Leader. Characterization of the structural transformations of brominated and organophosphorus flame retardants by fungal enzymatic process. 4F813. August 2016 – July 2018. MYR 85,500 / USD 21,370. Completed.
- Project Leader. Molecular structural transformation of organochlorine and organobromine catalyzed by lignin-metabolizing enzymes secreted from basidiomycetes fungi. Vote 4F465. July 2014 – June 2016. MYR 97,200 / USD 30,270.
MINISTRY OF EDUCATION – EXPLORATORY RESEARCH GRANT SCHEME (ERGS FUND)
- Project Leader. Evaluation of earthworms (Eisenia fetida) and immobilized laccase to accelerates the removal and transform Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs) in soil. Vote 4L053. June 2012 – May 2014. MYR 98,000 / USD 30,800.
- Project Leader. Evaluation of bioluminescent fungi for monitoring and classify Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs) toxicity. Vote 4L102. June 2013 – May 2015. MYR 142,900 / USD 44,920.
MINISTRY OF EDUCATION – LONG-TERM RESEARCH GRANT SCHEME (LRGS FUND)
- Researcher. Micro-Pollutants Removal using Combined Membrane Filtration, Advanced Oxidation Process and Adsorption for Safe Drinking Water. Vote 4L801. June 2012 – May 2017. MYR 1,500,000 / USD 471,520. In progress.
MINISTRY OF EDUCATION – TRANSDISCIPLINARY RESEARCH GRANT SCHEME (TRGS FUND)
- Researcher. Evaluation of Flood Disaster Impacted on Water Quality and Aquatic Habitat in Water environment. Vote 4L830. April 2015 – Dec 2015. MYR 113,700 / USD 31,163. In Progress.
CURTIN UNIVERSITY HIGHER DEGREE RESEARCH GRANT
- Project Leader. Degradation of Microplastics by Enzymes Produced by Microbes Isolated from Marine Environment of Sarawak, Malaysia. October 2022 – September 2025. MYR75,600 / USD18,180. In progress.
- Project Leader. Characterization of the structural transformations of the emerging organic contaminants (EOCs) by halophilic and acidophilic enzymes during anaerobic processes”. September 2020 – September 2023. MYR75,600 / USD18,180. In progress.
- Project Leader. Assessment of effect of climate change on integrated socio-environmental vulnerability index of Sarawak, Malaysia. September 2020 – September 2023. MYR75,600 / USD18,180. In progress.
- Project Leader. Development of an Improved Corrosion Management Strategies Using Prediction Model and ANN Based Simulation-Optimization Model for Marine Infrastructure. April 2022 – March 2025. MYR75,600 / USD18,180. In progress.
TIER 1/TIER 2 (RESEARCH UNIVERSITY GRANT)
- Project Leader Characterization of ligninolytic enzyme on core-shell nanocomposites (Magnezyme) for effective removal of oil spills. Vote 13H93. July 2016 – June 2017. MYR 49,964 / USD 12,510.
- Project Leader. Characterization of resin extracted from cactus (Opuntia ficus-indica) as natural coagulant for water purification. Vote 10H17. May 2015 – Oct 2016. MYR 49,985. / USD 13,700.
- Project Leader. Characterization and reaction mechanism of Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs) toxicity in bioluminescent fungi isolated from oil refinery environment. Vote 06H93. April 2014 – March 2015. MYR 53,000 / USD 14,520.
- Project Leader. Characterization of enzymatic transformation of synthetic dyes in the liquid culture by ligninolytic fungi. Vote 02H65; May 2012 – April 2014. MYR 104,613 / USD 32,880.
- Project Leader. Transformation pathway of high molecular weight (HMW) polycylic aromatic hydrocarbon (PAH) by white rot fungi. Vote 00J31. April 2011 – March 2012. MYR 40,000 / USD 12,500. Completed.
- Project Leader. Screening of low-cost adsorbents for synthetic dye removal. Vote 77552; August 2010 – July 2011. MYR 30,000 / USD 9,430.
INDUSTRY/KNOWLEDGE TRANSFER PROGRAM
- Food Waste Composting: A Sustainable Solution to Food Waste Produced from School Canteen. Sarawak Education Department – SK Kuala Baram 2 Miri, 2023. (Curtin Univ – 3000, Government – MYR 4,500). In Progress.
- Implementation of rainwater harvesting in rural area of Sarawak. Sarawak Education Department – SK Kuala Baram 2 Miri, 2023. (Curtin Univ – MYR 2,500, Industries – MYR3,390). Completed.
- Co-Investigator, Bioremediation for Mitigation of Hydrogen Sulphide (H2S) and Greenhouse Gases (GHGs) in Hydropower Reservoirs. Sarawak Energy Berhad, MYR 332800. 2023-2026. In Progress.
- Group Leader. Enhanced anaerobic and aerobic biogranulation system for treating palm oil mill effluent. 2019-2021. RM 100,000 / USD24,000. In Progress.
SCHOLARSHIP IN TECHING AND LEARNING
- Project Leader. Strategies for online-education model for project and laboratory-based units in the environmental engineering course. Curtin Malaysia Teaching Innovation Project (CMTIP). 2020-2021. MYR 1500.
- Member. Improving Learning Outcomes in Environmental Engineering Unit Using a Problem-Based Learning Approach. Curtin Malaysia Teaching Innovation Project (CMTIP). 2022-2023. MYR 2000.
- Tony Hadibarata, MN Hazwan Jusoh (2023). Strategies for Online-education Model for Project and Laboratory-based Assessment in Environmental Monitoring and Analysis Course. Acta Pedagogia Asiana, 2(1), 14–25. https://doi.org/10.53623/apga.v2i1.168
- Tony Hadibarata, & Muhammad Syafrudin. (2022). Writing Essay as Essential Assessment in Groundwater Contamination Course. Acta Pedagogia Asiana, 1(1), 9–17. https://doi.org/10.53623/apga.v1i1.66
- Tony Hadibarata (2019) Teaching green engineering principles and application through active learning. International Journal of Indonesian Education and Teaching. 3(2): 194-203. https://doi.org/10.24071/ijiet.v3i2.1746
- Tony Hadibarata, Rubiyatno (2019) Active learning strategies in environmental engineering course: a case study in Curtin University Malaysia. Indonesia Journal of Science Education, 8(4), 456-463. https://doi.org/10.15294/jpii.v8i4.19169
- Tony Hadibarata, Achmad Syafiuddin (2018) Assessment type in enhancing learning experience for engineering student. Journal of Mathematics and Science Teaching 23(1): 71-75.