Meheron Selowara Joo
Ir. Meheron Selowara Joo
B.Eng(Hons) Civil, M.Eng, PEng, CPEng, MIEM, MIEAust., IntPE.
Senior Lecturer (Civil & Construction Engineering)
Telephone: +60 85 630100 extn: 2433
Fax: +60 85 630254
Location: Skylark 3 (SK3) Room 367
- M. Sc. (Eng.) Highway and Transportation, UPM, 2009
B. Eng. (Hons) in Civil Engineering, University Malaya, 2002
- 2015- Present Senior Lecturer
Department of Civil and Construction Engineering, Curtin University Sarawak Campus
- 2014-2015 Lecturer
Department of Civil Engineering, SEGi University, Kota Damansara Campus
- 2014-2015 Part Time Lecturer
Department of Civil Engineering, Monash University, Sunway Campus, Malaysia
- 2011- 2013 Manager – Training and Academics
VTD Learnings Sdn. Bhd., Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- 2011- 2014 Part Time Lecturer
Department of Civil Engineering, University Putra Malaysia.
- 2010- 2014 Project Manager
Alpine Engineering Sdn. Bhd., Kuala Lumpur.
- 2007-2010 Civil Engineer/Resident Engineer
SMEC Malaysia Consulting, Petaling Jaya.
- 2002-2007 Site Engineer/Project Engineer
Road Builder Holdings Berhad, Kuala Lumpur and Putrajaya.
- Chair – Accreditation and Staff Professional development working group, Faculty of Engineering and Science – Faculty level. (March 2018 to July 2021).
- Member of Curtin University Malaysia’s Building Infrastructure Committee (BIC) – University level.
- Member – Curtin Highway and Infrastructure Research Innovation Hub (CHIRI) – Faculty of Engineering and Science.
- Engineers Australia’s Professional Connection Package (PCP) Liaison member for Curtin University Malaysia – university level.
- Committee Member of Structures and Materials research cluster, Curtin University Malaysia – Faculty level.
- Vice Chairman – The Institution of Engineers Malaysia (IEM) Miri Branch 2020 to 2024 – National.
- IEM Professional Engineer Examination Coordinator – Sarawak Northern Region – National.
Highway and Transportation Engineering
- Geometric Design
- Engineering Education
- Sustainable Development
- Member of Curtin Highway and Infrastructure Research Innovation Hub (CHIRI) – a Research and consultancy cluster of Faculty of Engineering and Science, Curtin University Malaysia.
- Miri City Urban Transport Action Plan – member.
- Co-investigator – Sarawak Energy Research Grant 2022 (ongoing): Energy Efficiency and Energy Management Initiatives for Sarawak Energy – RM167,900.
- Principal Investigator – FRGS grant received Year 2020 (ongoing). Ministry of Higher Education – FRGS/1/2020/TK0/CURTIN/03/1. Amount RM68,050. Duration Nov 2020 to July 2023. A Decision-Making Framework to support Energy Efficient Design of High-Rise Residential Buildings. Collaborations with researcher from University Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM) and University Sains Malaysia (USM).
- Principal Investigator – Curtin Malaysia Teaching Innovation Project (CMTIP) awarded in 2019. Amount RM2,000 (completed). Title: Impacts of Online Learning Tools on the Learning Outcomes and Behaviours for Civil Engineering Education.
- Co-investigator – FRGS research grant RM 97,200 (completed). Thermal and Total Performance Enhancement of Inclined Solar Chimney Power Plant Using Underneath Air-vent and Thermal Storage Medium. 2016. (Ref: FRGS/1/2016/TK07/CURTIN/03/3).
- Co-investigator – industry grant RM 167,000 (completed). Investigation on the use of industrial waste, marine sand and sea water in breakwater construction for costal protection in Miri. Funded by Novakey Developers Sdn. Bhd.
- Co-investigator – industry grant RM 71,000 (completed). Investigation on the use of industrial waste, marine sand and sea water in breakwater construction for costal protection in Miri. Funded by Novakey Developers Sdn. Bhd.
A. Book Chapters
- Aja, O. C., H. H. Al-Kayiem, M. G. Zewge, and M. S. Joo. 2016. “Overview of Hazardous Waste Management Status in Malaysia.” In Management of Hazardous Wastes Saleh, H. E. M., and R. O. A. Rahman., 69-87 London – UNITED KINGDOM: InTechOpen.
B. Journal Publications
- Ting, M. Z. Y., K. S. Wong, M. E. Rahman, and M. Selowarajoo. 2021. “Prediction model for hardened state properties of silica fume and fly ash-based seawater concrete incorporating silicomanganese slag.” Journal of Building Engineering 41.
- Ting, M. Z. Y., K. S. Wong, M. E. Rahman, and S. J. Meheron. 2021. “Deterioration of marine concrete exposed to wetting-drying action.” Journal of Cleaner Production 278
- Ting, M. Z. Y., K. S. Wong, M. E. Rahman, and M. Selowara Joo. 2020. “Mechanical and durability performance of marine sand and seawater concrete incorporating silicomanganese slag as coarse aggregate.” Construction and Building Materials 254
- Selowara Joo, M., P. Thanh Duoc, L. james BP, and H. H. Lau. 2017. “Design Optimization of Long-Span Cold-Formed Steel Portal Frames Accounting for Effect of Knee Brace Joint Configuration.” Technologies
C. Conference Proceedings
- Toh Yih Mao, Meheron Selowara Joo, Aidin Nobahar Sadeghifam, Tay Ai Chen, Amir Mahdiyar and Mohd Farid Mohamed “Delphi method for ranking the passive design parameters impact on the cooling load of High-Rise Residential Buildings in Malaysia”. 5th Advances in Environmental Science and Engineering Research International Conference (AESERIC 2023).,21-23 June 2023, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- K.M. Dumisani and Meheron Selowara Joo. 2022. “Developing a Sustainability Assessment Framework for Road Operation and Maintenance Works”. International Congress on Impacts of Climate Change on Agriculture, Ecosystems, and Human Health 2022, November 16-18, 2022, Miri, Malaysia.
- S.Y. Wong., M. Selowara Joo, W.W. Low., K.S. Wong., Y. H. Lee., 2021. “Impacts of Online Learning Resources on Learning Experience of Civil Engineering Students”. 2nd International Conference on Green Construction and Engineering Education (ICGCEE 2021), 12 August 2021, online. Department of Civil Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Universitas Negeri Malang, Indonesia.
- Aidin Nobahar Sadeghifam, Meheron Selowara Joo, Nurul Noraziemah Mohd Pauzi, Saeed Banihashemi. 2021. “Energy Retrofitting and Thermal Comfort Improvement of the Public Buildings in Malaysia”. International Conference on Green Energy, Computing and Sustainable Technology (GECOST), 7th – 9th July 2021, Miri, Sarawak, Malaysia
- Duoc T. Phan, James Lim, Meheron Selowara Joo, Hieng Ho Lau. 2017. “Design Optimisation of Long-Span Cold-Formed Steel Portal Frames”. 3rd International Materials, Industrial, and Manufacturing Engineering Conference (MIMEC 2017), 6-8 December 2017, Miri Sarawak.
- Aja O.C., Meheron S.J., Ukwuaku P.O. 2017. “Impact of Engineering Final Year Project Research Method on Student’s Development in Knowledge Construction”. International Conference on Teaching and Learning, Language, Literature & Linguistics (ICT4L), 30&31 October 2017, Kuala Lumpur.
- Aja O.C., Meheron S.J., Ukwuaku P.O. 2017. “Personality Test Effect on Team Selection and Students’ Performance”. International Conference on Teaching and Learning, Language, Literature & Linguistics (ICT4L), 30&31 October 2017, Kuala Lumpur.
- Selowarajoo, M., Nagaratnam B.H., Rahman M.E., Ismail M.A. 2016. “The Latest Development in Project Based Learning into Civil Engineering Education”. International Conference on Teaching and Learning (ICTL), 5-6 October 2016, Faculty of Education University Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Professional Development Activities
- EAC Panel of Evaluators for Civil Engineering Degree Programs – Board of Engineers Malaysia
- ETAC Panel of Evaluators for Civil Engineering Diploma Programs – Board of Engineers Malaysia
- Organising committee – 1 Borneo Infra Symposium jointly organised by Curtin University Malaysia and IEM. 10&11 September 2021.
- Organising Chair – Engineering Accreditation Principles and Requirements compliance to EAC Standard 2020. Date: 3 March 2021.
- Mentoring staff to register as Professional Engineer or Chartered Engineer – Board of Engineer Malaysia and Engineers Australia.
- Honorary Secretary, The Institution of Engineers Malaysia Miri Branch, 2018-2020
- Institution of Engineers Malaysia (IEM) – Technical Committee Member in Highway & Transportation Technical Division (Term 2014/15)
- Malaysian Green Building Confederation (MGBC) – Committee Member of Education Division (Term 2013/14)
- Certified Trainer – Construction Industry Development Board (CIDB) Malaysia
- OSHAS 18001:2007 Occupational Health and Safety Management System by NIOSH, 2012
- Managing a Safe and Healthy Workplace at Construction Sites – OSHA 1994 & FMA 1967
- Green Building Assessment GreenRE Malaysia Tool, REHDA-UTM, March 2014
- Facilitator for CIDB Malaysia – ICTAD Sri Lanka Train the Trainer certification program (2013)
- IGC, Occupational Safety & Health, NEBOSH UK, 2011
- Professional Engineer with Practicing Certificate (PEPC) Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM)
- Corporate Member, Institution of Engineers, Malaysia (IEM)
- Professional Member, Malaysian Green Building Confederation (MGBC)
- Member, Road Engineering Association of Asia and Australasia (MREAAA)
- Chartered Professional Engineer (CPEng) Australia
- Member of Institution of Engineers Australia (MIEAust)
- International Professional Engineer (IntPE)
- Member of APEC Engineer Register