Dr. Sivaraman Eswaran
PhD, ME, MCA, BSc, SMIEEE, MACM
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Location: Skylark 3 Room 309
Tel: +60 85 630 100 Ext: 2477
Fax: +60 85 630 254
Sivaraman Eswaran received Ph.D. degree in Computer Science from Bharathiar University, India, in 2019. He is currently working as Senior Lecturer with the Electrical and Computer Engineering department, Curtin University, Malaysia. He is a CompTIA Security+ certified professional and EC-Council Certified Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator. He is also a Microsoft Certified Professional and EMC Academic Associate. He is a Senior member of IEEE and a member of ACM. His research interests include cyber security and cloud computing. He has published several research papers in refereed journals and conferences. He is a registered volunteer in the National Security Database to assist and guide Cybercrime victims.
- Senior Lecturer, Curtin University, Malaysia Dates (July, 2022 to Present)
- Program Coordinator (Cyber Security), Curtin University, Malaysia Dates (January, 2023 to Present)
- Cybersecurity Keylabs Leader, Sarawak Digital Economy Corporation (SDEC), Sarawak, Malaysia Dates (January, 2023 to Present)
- Associate Professor, PES University, Dates (August, 2018 to June, 2022)
- Technical Instructor, IBM Career Education, Dates (June, 2017 to July, 2018)
- Assistant Professor, Dr.N.G.P. Institute of Technology, Dates (June, 2011 to May 2017)
- Elevated to Senior Member Grade of IEEE in 2021.
- Qualified National Eligibility Test (NET) for Assistant Professor, Computer Science and Application, July 2018 conducted by University Grants Commission.
- Qualified Tamil Nadu State Eligibility Test (TN SET) for Assistant Professor, Computer Science and Application, April 2017 conducted by Government of Tamil Nadu.
- Certified Professional CE “Security+” by CompTIA on 30th July 2020 (Code: 22D27EME8CB1QW9Y).
- Certified as “Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator v9.0” by EC-Council on 13th June 2020 (Certificate Number: ECC0267543189).
- Certified as “EMC Academic Associate – Cloud Infrastructure and Services” by EMC2 Corporation on 8th February 2014 (Verification Code: HR12QV3YNNBQQD0T).
- Cloud computing
- Big data
- Network Security
- Information Security
- Applied Cryptography
- Computer Networks
- Computer Network Design
- Penetration Testing and Defense
- Intrusion Detection System and Incident Handling
Research Funding & Research Projects
Grant Name: PES University Internal Research Grant
Title of the Project: Similarity Mapping of Substantial Metadata for Sustainable Cyber Crime Investigation
Amount & Funder: INR 15.89 Lakhs & PES University, Bangalore, India
Role: Principal Investigator
Duration/Status: Sept 2020 – June 2022 / Completed
Grant Name: Curtin Malaysia Research Institute Collaborative Research Scheme (CMRI-CRS) 2022 [Swinburne-Curtin-Nottingham Consortium Grant]
Title of the Project: Implementation and Evaluation of Lightweight Cryptographic Algorithms for IoT Environment
Amount & Funder: RM 20,000 & Curtin University Malaysia
Role: Principal Investigator
Collaborators: Swinburne University of Technology, Sarawak and University of Nottingham, Malaysia
Duration/Status: Dec 2022 – Nov 2024 / Ongoing
Grant Name: Curtin Australia Cybersecurity Cross-Campus Seed Grant 2022
Title of the Project: Enhancing Cybersecurity through Entropy-Based Web Log and User Activity Anomaly Detection
Amount & Funder: RM 12,473 & Curtin University Perth
Role: Co-Principal Investigator
Collaborators: Curtin University Perth & Dubai Campuses
Duration/Status: Dec 2022- Aug 2023 / Ongoing
Grant Name: Curtin Malaysia Collaborative Research Scheme (CMCR)
Title of the Project: Curtin University Malaysia’s Cybersecurity Readiness Evaluation using Vulnerability Assessment and Penetration Testing
Amount & Funder: RM 20,000 & Curtin University Malaysia
Role: Principal Investigator
Collaborators: Curtin University Dubai Campus
Duration/Status: Dec 2022 – Dec 2023 / Ongoing
- Gopalakrishnan, A., Kulkarni, N. P., Raghavendra, C. B., Manjappa, R., Honnavalli, P., & Sivaraman, E. (2023). PriMed: Private federated training and encrypted inference on medical images in healthcare. Expert Systems. https://doi.org/10.1111/exsy.13283 (SCIE, IF: 2.812).
- Sivaram, J., Narrain, J. M., Honnavalli, P., & Eswaran, S. (2023). Adversarial machine learning: the rise in AI-enabled crime. Computer Fraud & Security, 2023(2), https://doi.org/10.12968/S1361-3723(23)70007-9 (Scopus).
- Eswaran, S., Honnavalli, P. (2022). Private 5G networks: a survey on enabling technologies, deployment models, use cases and research directions. Telecommunication Systems, 82(1), pp.3-26, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11235-022-00978-z (SCIE, IF: 2.336).
- Kansal, K., Krishna, P. S., Jain, P. B., Surya, R., Honnavalli, P., & Eswaran, S. (2022). Defending against adversarial attacks on covid-19 classifier: A denoiser-based approach, Heliyon, Vol. 8, No. 10, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.heliyon.2022.e11209 (SCIE, IF: 3.776).
- Chegu, S., Reddy, G. U., Bhambore, B. S., Adeab, K., Honnavalli, P., & Eswaran, S. (2022). An improved filter against injection attacks using regex and machine learning. Network Security, 2022(9), https://doi.org/10.12968/s1353-4858(22)70055-4 (Scopus).
- Eswaran, S., Rani, V., D., D., Ramakrishnan, J., & Selvakumar, S. (2021). An enhanced network intrusion detection system for malicious crawler detection and security event correlations in ubiquitous banking infrastructure. International Journal of Pervasive Computing and Communications, 18(1), 59–78, https://doi.org/10.1108/ijpcc-04-2021-0102 (Scopus, ESCI).
- Daniel D., Preethi N., Jakka, A., & Eswaran, S. (2021). Collaborative Intrusion Detection System in Cognitive Smart City Network (CSC-Net). International Journal of Knowledge and Systems Science, 12(1), pp.60–73, https://doi.org/10.4018/ijkss.2021010105 (Scopus, ESCI).
- Eswaran, S., Srinivasan, A., & Honnavalli, P. (2021). A threshold-based, real-time analysis in early detection of endpoint anomalies using SIEM expertise. Network Security, 2021(4), 7–16, https://doi.org/10.1016/s1353-4858(21)00039-8 (Scopus).
- Eswaran, S., Dominic, D., Natarajan, J., & Honnavalli, P. B. (2020). Augmented intelligent water drops optimisation model for virtual machine placement in cloud environment. IET Networks, 9(5), pp.215–222, https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-net.2019.0165 (Scopus, ESCI).
- Sivaraman, E., & Manickachezian, R. (2019). Efficient multimedia content storage and allocation in multidimensional cloud computing resources. International Journal of Intelligent Systems Technologies and Applications, 18(1/2), pp.20-33, https://doi.org/10.1504/ijista.2019.097745 (Scopus).
- Sivaraman, E., & Manickachezian, R. (2019). Intelligent decision-making service framework based on analytic hierarchy process in cloud environment. International Journal of Networking and Virtual Organisations, 21(2), pp.221-236, https://doi.org/10.1504/ijnvo.2019.101787 (Scopus).
- Sivaraman, E., & Manickachezian, R. (2018). Unevenness measurement using the support vector machine and dynamic multiservice load balancing with modified genetic algorithm in cloud-based multimedia system. International Journal of Computer Aided Engineering and Technology, 10(6), pp.732-747, https://doi.org/10.1504/ijcaet.2018.095210 (Scopus).
- Eswaran, S., & Rajakannu, M. (2017). Multiservice Load Balancing with Hybrid Particle Swarm Optimization in Cloud-Based Multimedia Storage System with QoS Provision. Mobile Networks and Applications, 22(4), 760–770. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11036-017-0840-y (SCIE, IF: 3.077).
- A. Puranik, A. V. Akkihal, P. B. Honnavalli and S. Eswaran (2022). CoreMedi: Secure Medical Records Sharing Using Blockchain Technology. 2022 International Conference on Data Analytics for Business and Industry (ICDABI), Sakhir, Bahrain, pp. 33-37, https://doi.org/10.1109/ICDABI56818.2022.10041522.
- Yalamuri, G., Honnavalli, P., & Eswaran, S. (2022). A Review of the Present Cryptographic Arsenal to Deal with Post-Quantum Threats. Procedia Computer Science, 215, pp.834–845. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2022.12.086.
- Pawar, Y. S., Honnavalli, P., & Eswaran, S. (2022). Cyber Attack Detection on Self-Driving Cars Using Machine Learning Techniques. 2022 IEEE 3rd Global Conference for Advancement in Technology (GCAT). https://doi.org/10.1109/gcat55367.2022.9972222.
- Srastika, N. Bhandary, S. R. S, P. Honnavalli and S. Eswaran (2022), “An Enhanced Malware Detection Approach using Machine Learning and Feature Selection”, 2022 3rd International Conference on Electronics and Sustainable Communication Systems (ICESC), pp. 909-914, https://doi.org/10.1109/ICESC54411.2022.9885509.
- Z. A. Syed, S. Gummadi, E. L. Mahima, S. Reddy Naina, S. Eswaran and P. Honnavalli (2022), “Performance Analysis of 5G Network Slicing Simulations Using SimPy”, 2022 IEEE International Conference on Electronics, Computing and Communication Technologies (CONECCT), pp. 1-6, https://doi.org/10.1109/CONECCT55679.2022.9865799.
- R. Abhishek, K. Kushal, P. Reddy, R. Shetty, S. Eswaran and P. Honnavalli (2022), “An Enhanced Deployment of 5G Network Using Multi Objective Genetic Algorithm”, 2022 IEEE International Conference on Electronics, Computing and Communication Technologies (CONECCT), pp. 1-6, https://doi.org/10.1109/CONECCT55679.2022.9865106.
- A. SR, K. Mahadev, S. Prasad, S. Eswaran and P. Honnavalli (2022), “OpenDaylight as Software Defined Networking Controller: Shortcomings and Possible Solutions”, 2022 IEEE International Conference on Electronics, Computing and Communication Technologies (CONECCT), pp. 1-6, https://doi.org/10.1109/CONECCT55679.2022.9865784.
- R. Kamath, A. Ghoshal, S. Eswaran and P. Honnavalli (2022), “An Enhanced Context-based Emotion Detection Model using RoBERTa”, 2022 IEEE International Conference on Electronics, Computing and Communication Technologies (CONECCT), pp. 1-6, https://doi.org/10.1109/CONECCT55679.2022.9865796.
- Mangipudi, G. M., Sivaraman, E., Honnavalli, P. (2022). Quantum Cryptography and Quantum Key Distribution Protocols: A Survey on the Concepts, Protocols, Current Trends and Open Challenges. 19th L&T Conference 2022, Saudi Arabia (in Production).
- Mani, R. G., Parthasarathy, R., Eswaran, S., & Honnavalli, P. (2022). A Survey on Digital Image Forensics: Metadata and Image forgeries. WAC-2022: Workshop on Applied Computing, India, pp.22–55, http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-3142/PAPER_03.pdf.
- Koushik, R. M., Perichiappan, A., Om, H., Banerji, A., Eswaran, S., & Honnavalli, P. (2021). Generation of True Random Numbers using Entropy Sources Present within Portable Computers. 2021 IEEE International Conference on Electronics, Computing and Communication Technologies (CONECCT), pp.1–6, https://doi.org/10.1109/conecct52877.2021.9622734.
- Magdum, A., Sivaraman, E., & Honnavalli, P. B. (2021). Contactless Transaction Using Wearable Ring with Biometric Fingerprint Security Feature. Computer Networks and Inventive Communication Technologies, pp.653–666. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-15-9647-6_51.
- Archana, H P, C., Khushi, Nandini, P., Sivaraman, E., & Honnavalli, P. (2021). Cloud-based Network Intrusion Detection System using Deep Learning. ArabWIC 2021: The 7th Annual International Conference on Arab Women in Computing in Conjunction with the 2nd Forum of Women in Research, Sharjah, UAE, No.5, pp.1–6, https://doi.org/10.1145/3485557.3485562.
- Khan, S., Sivaraman, E., & Honnavalli, P. B. (2020). Performance Evaluation of Advanced Machine Learning Algorithms for Network Intrusion Detection System. Proceedings of International Conference on IoT Inclusive Life (ICIIL 2019), NITTTR Chandigarh, India, pp.51–59. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-15-3020-3_6.
- Nisha, D., Sivaraman, E., & Honnavalli, P. B. (2019). Predicting and Preventing Malware in Machine Learning Model. 2019 10th International Conference on Computing, Communication and Networking Technologies (ICCCNT), pp.1–7, https://doi.org/10.1109/icccnt45670.2019.8944462.
- Sanjith, S., Sivaraman, E., & Honnavalli, P. B. (2019). Runtime Malware Detection using Hardware Features. 2019 10th International Conference on Computing, Communication and Networking Technologies (ICCCNT), pp.1–7, https://doi.org/10.1109/icccnt45670.2019.8944510.
- Sivaraman, E., & Manickachezian, R. (2014). High Performance and Fault Tolerant Distributed File System for Big Data Storage and Processing Using Hadoop. 2014 International Conference on Intelligent Computing Applications, pp.32–36, https://doi.org/10.1109/icica.2014.16.
- Sivaraman E. (2010). Dynamic cluster broadcasting for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. 2010 International Conference on Communication and Computational Intelligence (INCOCCI), pp. 123-127, https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/5738720.
- S.Balamurugan, Preethi N, Vathsala M K, Bhuvaneshwari Patil, Sarala S M, Vakula Rani J, Aishwarya Jakka, Sivaraman E, 2020, “Humanoid Robot System for Assisting Elder People”, App. No. 202041027734, Filed and published, Under examination.
- Guest lecture on “Cyber Security Post-Pandemic: Awareness, Challenges and Opportunities”, 2021, NGM College, Pollachi, India.
- 5 Days Workshop on “Switching and Routing Protocols – A Hands-on Approach”, 2022, PSGR Krishnammal College for Women, Coimbatore, India.
- Guest lecture on “The Role of SIEM in Security Operation Center”, 2022, VIT-AP, Amaravati, India.
- Guest lecture on “Network Visibility using Security Onion: A Cyber Threat Intelligence-based Approach”, 2022, VIT, Vellore, India.
- Guest Lecture on “Cyber Threat Intelligence: Opportunities, Solutions and Research Challenges”, 2022, Madanapalle Institute of Technology & Science, Andhra Pradesh, India.
- Guest lecture on “Uncovering Hidden Gems: A Deep Dive into Open-Source Intelligence Techniques”, 2023, Reva University, Bangalore, India.
- IEEE Senior Member (No. 96395190)
- ACM Professional Member (No. 6668830)
- Guest Editor: International Journal of Digital Crime and Forensics (IGI-Global publisher), Special Issue on ‘Advanced Digital Forensic Techniques for Digital Traces’, 2021 (Vol. 13, No. 5).
- Guest Editor: Journal of Applied Security Research (Taylor & Francis publisher), Special Issue on ‘AI for Cybercrime Prevention and Detection: Opportunities, Challenges and Solutions’, Deadline: 31 July 2023, Link: https://tinyurl.com/mrds3crc.
- Reviewer: Journals: IEEE Systems Journal, Journal of Computer Security, Computing and Informatics, Tsinghua Science and Technology, Journal of Applied Security Research, Scientific Reports