Prof. Dr. Ramasamy Nagarajan
M.Sc, PhD (Geochemistry), FG (BOG)
Professor, Department of Applied Sciences
John Curtin Distinguished Professor
Dean, Research and Development
Director, Curtin Malaysia Research Institute
Tel: +60 85 630019 Ext:2550
- Scopus Profile: http://www.scopus.com/authid/detail.url?authorId=27567902000
- ResearcherID Profile: Web of Science Researcher ID: J-5742-2012
- ResearchGate Profile: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ramasamy_Nagarajan/
- Google Scholar Profile: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=NryZU6sAAAAJ&hl=en&oi=ao
- Publons Profile: https://publons.com/researcher/1404696/nagarajan-ramasamy/
- ORCID Profile: http://orcid.org/0000-0003-3495-899X
R. Nagarajan is Professor in the Department of Applied Geology, Dean R&D and Director of Curtin Malaysia Research Institute. He had graduated B.Sc. (Geology) from the VOC College, Tuticorin, M.Sc., (Geology) from the University of Madras and Ph.D., (Geochemistry) from the Anna University, Chennai. His research interests include applications of geochemistry to various evolution of sedimentary systems, petroleum geology, environmental geosciences and biogeochemistry. He has published over 100 indexed publications (Journal papers, conference proceedings and book chapters). His current research focuses on geochemistry of Oligocene to Neogene sedimentary / meta-sedimentary rocks and Recent sediments of Borneo. He has been awarded the top most prestigious award called “John Curtin Distinguished Professor” from Curtin University Australia for the providing a significant and sustained contribution the University in national and international reputation, exceptional research skills and distinguished record service to professional and public life. He has more than 10 years leadership experience as HOD, Associate Dean (R&D), Dean (R&D) and Director of Research Institute with Curtin University.
- Doctor of Philosophy, Anna University (2003)
- Master of Science in Geology, University of Madras (1999)
- Bachelor of Science in Geology, Manonmanium Sundaranaar University (1997)
- Geochemistry (sediments and sedimentary rocks)
- Source to Sink relationship of sediments
- Source rock evaluation
- Environmental Geochemistry (Heavy metal pollution in sediments and water)
- Ecotoxicology, Biogeochemistry, Environmental Health Monitoring and assessment
- Urban Geochemistry
- Regional Geochemical Mapping
- John Curtin Distinguished Professor (2022-2027)
- High Citation Award (2016;2021)
- Best Research Paper award (CUTSE International Conference – 2008 & 2011, Malaysia)
- Curtin University – Students Choice Teaching Award 2009, 2018, 2019, 2022
- IASc-INSA-NASI (Indian Academy of Sciences, Bangalore) Summer Fellowship – 2007 & 2008.
- World Bank Sponsored – Indian Institute of Water Resources Fellowship: 2003 to 2004
- UGC Fellowship: 1999 to 2002.
Journal Publications (Selected)
A. Book Chapters
- Raza, A., Gholami, R., Rasouli, V., Rezaee, R., Bing, C.H., Nagarajan, R. (2019) An Introduction to Carbon Capture and Storage technology In: D.Z.A. Jawad (Editor), Membrane Technology for CO2 Sequestration. CRC Press/ Taylor & Francis Group, pp. 1-24
- Dodge-Wan, D., Nagarajan, R., (2019) Typology and mechanisms of coastal erosion in siliciclastic rocks of the NW Borneo coastline (Sarawak, Malaysia): a field approach. In Ramkumar, Mu. Arthur James, R., Menier, D., Kumaraswamy K., (Eds.). Coastal Zone Management: Global Perspectives, Regional Processes, Local Issues. pp.65-98.
- Nagarajan, R., Anandkumar, A., Hussain, S.M. Jonathan, M.P., Ramkumar, Mu., Eswaramoorthi, S., Saptoro, A., Chua, H.B., (2019) Geochemical characterization of beach sediments of the NW Borneo, SE Asia: Implications on provenance, weathering intensity and assessment of coastal environmental status. In Ramkumar, Mu. Arthur James, R., Menier, D., Kumaraswamy K., (Eds.). Coastal Zone Management: Global Perspectives, Regional Processes, Local Issues. pp. 279-330.
- Roy, P.D., Ramkumar, Mu., Nagarajan, R. (2019) Cenozoic Chemostratigraphy: Understanding most recent Era of the Earth’s history. In: Sial, A.N., Gaucher, C., Ramkumar, M., Ferreira V.P. (Eds.) Chemostratigraphy of Major Chronological Boundaries. Geophysical Monograph 240 (I ed.) pp.261-277. American Geophysical Union. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. Hoboken, NJ, USA. ISBN: 978-1-119- 38248-5.
- Anandkumar, A., Vijith, H., Nagarajan R., Jonathan M.P. (2019) Evaluation of Decadal Shoreline Changes in the Coastal Region of Miri, Sarawak, Malaysia (Chapter 7) In: Krishnamurthy, R.R., Jonathan, M.P., Srinivasalu, S. Glaeser, B. (Eds) Coastal Management: Global Challenges and Innovations, pp. 95-119.
- Nagarajan, R., Armstrong-Altrin, J.S., Kessler, F.L., Jong J., (2017) Petrological and geochemical constraints on provenance, paleo-weathering and tectonic setting of clastic sediments from the Neogene Lambir and Sibuti Formations, NW Borneo (Chapter 7). In: Sediment Provenance: influences on compositional change from source to sink (Ed. Rajat Mazumder) Elsevier Amsterdam, Netherlands. pp.123-153.
- Madhavaraju, J., Hussain, S.M., Ugeswari, J., Nagarajan, R., Ramasamy, S., Mahalakshmi, P., (2015) Paleo-redox conditions of the Albian-Danian Carbonate rocks of the Cauvery basin, south India: implications for Chemostratigraphy (Chapter 10). In Chemostratigraphy: Concepts, Techniques, and Applications, by Ramkumar, Mu (Ed.) pp. 247-271,
- Prasanna, M. V., Chidambaram, S, Nagarajan, R., Rajalingam, S. and Elayaraja, A (2009) Geophysical investigation in the different lithounits of Gadilam River basin, Tamil Nadu, India. In: Chidambaram, S (Ed.) Recent trend in Water Research: Hydrochemical and Hydrological perspectives. 7p I.K International Publishing group Pvt. Ltd. India, 247p, ISBN: 9789380026916.
- Prasanna, M. V., Chidambaram, S, Nagarajan, R., Elayaraja, A and Rajalingam, S. (2009) Trace metals pollution in the Gadilam River Basin, Tamil Nadu, India. In: Chidambaram, S (Ed.) Recent trend in Water Research: Hydrochemical and Hydrological perspectives. 7p I.K International Publishing group Pvt. Ltd. India, 247p, ISBN: 9789380026916.
B. Journal Publications
- Rakesh, R. G., Prasanna, M.V., Nagarajan, R., Chidambaram, S., (2023). Spatial and temporal variations of elemental geochemical processes and toxicity of water, sediments and suspended solids in Sibuti River Estuary, NW Borneo. Environmental Science and Pollution Research. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-023-28596-5. (WoS Q1 Quartile) (IF: 5.8) (5 year IF:5.4)
- Rakesh, R. G., Prasanna, M.V., Nagarajan, R., Chidambaram, S., (2023). Distribution and fractionation of metals in tropical estuarine sediments, NW Borneo: Implication for ecological risk assessment. Journal of Geochemical Exploration. 252, 107253 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gexplo.2023.107253. (WoS Q1 Quartile) (IF: 3.9) (5 year IF:4.2)
- Deepthi, N., Devaganga, P.K., Ramkumar, M., Nagarajan, R., Balasubramani, K., (2023) Physico-chemical properties of the Vettar estuarine waters, Cauvery Basin, southern India: Implications for environmental management. Thalassas: An International Journal of Marine Sciences. https://doi.org/10.1007/s41208-023-00564-3 (WoS Q4 Quartile) (IF: 0.7) (5 year IF: 0.8) 1Citation – 0 2Citation – 0; 3Citation – 0.
- Nagarajan, R., Eswaramoorthi, S., Anandkumar, A., Ramkumar M., (2023) Geochemical fractionation, mobility of elements and environmental significance of surface sediments in a Tropical River, Borneo. Marine Pollution Bulletin. 192: 115090. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2023.115090 (WoS Q1 Quartile) (IF: 5.8) (5 year IF: 6.5) 1Citation – 0; 2Citation –0; 3Citation – 0
- Kessler, F. L. Jong, J., Nagarajan, R. (2023) Synopsis of Upper Tukau Deposits along the Sungai Rait Road, Miri District, Sarawak, Malaysia. Bulletin of the Geological Society of Malaysia, 75, 73 – 84. https://doi.org/10.7186/bgsm75202307 (Scopus Indexed)
- Naciri, W., Boom, A., Payne, M.J., Browne, N., Evans, N.J., Holdship, P., Rankenburg, K., Nagarajan, R., McDonald, B.J., McIlwain, J., and Zinke, J. (2023) Massive corals record deforestation in Malaysian Borneo through sediments in river discharge, Biogeosciences 20, 1587–1604. https://doi.org/10.5194/bg-2022-235. (Q1 Quartile) ISI (IF: 4.9) (5 year IF: 4.8) 1Citation – 0 2Citation – 0; 3Citation – 0. Conference proceedings (2023 – 1)
- Vivian Dayong, and R Nagarajan (2023) Interpretation of paleoenvironment using benthic foraminifera from Tertiary rocks, northern Sarawak. MATEC Web of Conferences 377, 01002 (2023) https://doi.org/10.1051/matecconf/202337701002. WOS -Conference 1Citation – 0; 2Citation – 0; 3Citation – 0
- R.Nagarajan, R.Sharveen, Abdulmajid Ali, F.L. Kessler, John Jong, P.D.Roy and S.Srinivasalu (2022) Paragenetic conditions of concretions in the Neogene clastic sediments of NW Borneo: Evidence from morphological, petrographic, mineralogical and geochemical data. Journal of Geointerface. 1(2): 6-20.
- Mu.Ramkumar, AL Fathima, R.Nagarajan, M. Santosh, D. Menier (2022) Major, trace and rare earth elemental geochemistry of Santonian – Campanian onland-offshore transition in a Gilbert Type Deltaic setting, Cauvery Basin, Southern India. Geological Journal. 57:3988–4010.
- Stephan Ongetta, Prasanna M V, Chidambaram S, Nagarajan R, Clem Kuek (2022) Delineation of highland saline groundwater sources in Ba’kelalan region of NE Borneo to improve the salt-making production using geochemical and geophysical approaches. Chemosphere 307(1), 135721.
- Xin Hui, P., Nagarajan, R., Ramkumar, Mu. Ng, T.F. Taib, N.I. Mathew, M.J. Sautter, B., Siddiqui, N.A., Poppelreiter, M.C. (2022) Geochemical evolution of structure-bedding controlled hydrothermal dolomites of the Kinta Valley, Western Malaysia. Carbonates and Evaporites. 37, 62.
- Ramkumar, Mu., Balasubramani, K., Santosh, M., Nagarajan, R. (2022) The Plastisphere: a morphometric genetic classification of plastic pollutants in the natural environment. Gondwana Research. 108:4-12.
- Ramkumar, Mu., Balasubramani, K; Kumaraswamy, K; Santosh, M., Roy, PD., Manobalaji, A., Juni, K.J., Nagarajan, R., Rajveer Sharma, Pankaj Kumar, B., Sundeep, C., Siddiqui, N.A., Ramachandran, C., Leo George, S. (2022) Episodic habitation and abandonment of Neolithic civilization sites in the Vaigai River Basin, Southern India. Geosystems and Geoenvironment. 1 (1) 100007.
- Anandkumar, A., Nagarajan, R., Eswaramoorthi, S., Prabakaran, K. (2022) Seasonal variation and mobility of trace metal in the beach sediments of NW Borneo. Chemosphere. 287, 132069.
- Ramkumar, Mu., Kumaraswamy, K., Balasubramani, K., Nagarajan, R., Santosh, M., Abdul Rahman, S., Arun Prasad, K., Juni, K.J., Fathima, Al., Siddiqui, N.A., Mathew, M.J., Menier, D., Sautter, B., Rajveev Sharma, Pankaj Kumar, Sundeep Chopra, Jegankumar R., (2021) Neolithic Cultural Sites and Extreme Climate Related Channel Avulsion: Evidence from The Vaigai River Basin, Southern India. Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports . 40, 103204.
- Ramkumar, Mu, Nagarajan, R, Santosh, M. (2021) Reservoir characterization and enhanced oil recovery: Preface Energy Geoscience, 2 (4) 285–286.
- Ramkumar, Mu, Nagarajan, R, Santosh, M. (2021) Advances in sediment geochemistry and chemostratigraphy for reservoir characterization. Energy Geoscience . 2(4):308-326.
- PX Hui, Mu.Ramkumar, R.Nagarajan, Manoj J. Mathew, T.F. Ng (2021) Episodic dolomitization of Paleozoic limestones in the Kinta Valley, Malaysia: implications on porosity evolution and reservoir properties. Energy Geoscience 2(4) 298-307.
- Sajimol, S., Roy, P.D., Lakshumanan, C., Nagarajan, R. (2021) Evaluation of metals and trace elements in sediments of Kanyakumari beach (southernmost India) and their possible impact on coastal aquifers. Marine Pollution Bulletin 169: 112527.
- Ramkumar, Mu., Nagarajan, R., Mathew, M., Sautter, B., Siddiqui, N.A., Saw, B.B., Santosh, M., Menier, D., Poppelreiter M.C. (2021) Relict Hydrocarbon Seep in the Oligocene-Miocene Subis Carbonate Platform, Malaysia: Implications on Hydrocarbon Generation and Migration Pathways and potential sealing by shale gouging. Geological Journal 56:2571–2582.
- Nagarajan, R., Kessler, F.L., John J., Ramkumar, Mu. Abdulmajid Muhammad A., M., Vivian D., Lalitguha, S., Naltalie V., Kovin, S., & Desianne, K.S. (2021) Geochemistry of the Palaeocene-Eocene Upper Kelalan Formation, NW Borneo: Implications on palaeoweathering, tectonic setting, and provenance. Geological Journal 56:2500–2527.
- Ahmed, N., Siddiqui, N., Nagarajan, R, Ramkumar, Mu, Jamil, M., Usman, M., Sajid, Z., Rahman, A. H., (2021) Geochemistry of Eocene Bawang Member Turbidites of the Belaga Formation, Borneo: Implications for Provenance, Palaeoweathering, and Tectonic Setting. Geological Journal 56: 2477–2499.
- Eswaramoorthi, S., Subramanian, S., Nagarajan, R., Periakali, P. (2021) Palaeoenvironmental applications of chromium and aluminium: Concerns on partitioning and early diagenetic remobilisation. Geological Journal 56:2379–2397.
- Ramkumar, Mu, Nagarajan, R, Santosh, M. (2021) Introduction to Geochemistry of sedimentary systems: Current trends and applications. Geological Journal 56:2297– 2299.
- Gholami, R. Raza, A. Rabiei, M. Fakhari, N. Balasubramaniam, P. Rasouli, V. Nagarajan, R. (2021) An approach to improve wellbore stability in active shale formations using nanomaterials. Petroleum, 7(1):24-32.
- Anandkumar, A., Jian Li, Prabakaran, K., Zhang Xi Jia, Zhanrui Leng, Nagarajan R., Daolin Du, (2021) Response to “Refer to the investigation of toxic elements in Carassius gibelio and Sinanodonta woodiana and its health risk to humans by Arumugam et al. (2020)” by Fakhri and Mousavi Khaneghah (2020). Environmental Science and Pollution Research . 27, 30901–30902 (2020). 28 (4) 4883-4884.
- Ali Bhatti, A., Ismail, A., Raza, A., Gholami, R., Rezaee, R., Nagarajan, R., Saffou, E., (2020) Permeability prediction using hydraulic flow units and electrofacies analysis. Energy Geoscience, 1, (1–2), 81-91.
- Anandkumar, A., Jian Li, Prabakaran, K., Zhang Xi Jia, Zhanrui Leng, Nagarajan R., Daolin Du, (2020) Investigation of toxic elements in Carassius gibelio and Sinanodonta woodiana and its health risk to humans. Environmental Science and Pollution Research . 27, 19955–19969
- Prabakaran K., Eswaramoorthi S., Nagarajan R., Anandkumar A., Merlin Franco, F., (2020) Geochemical behaviour and risk assessment of trace elements in a tropical river, Northwest Borneo. Chemosphere. 252:126430.
- Dodge-Wan D., Nagarajan R. (2020) Boring of Intertidal Sandstones by Isopod Sphaeroma triste in NW Borneo (Sarawak, Malaysia). Journal of Coastal Research . Vol. 36:(2), 238-248.
- Rajmohan N., Nagarajan, R., Jayaprakash, M., Prathapar, S. A., (2020) The impact of seasonal waterlogging on the depth-wise distribution of major and trace metals in the soils of the Eastern Ganges Basin. Catina . 189:104510.
- Anandkumar, A., Jian Li, Prabakaran, K., Zhang Xi Jia, Zhanrui Leng, Nagarajan R., Daolin Du, (2020) Accumulation of toxic elements in an invasive crayfish species (Procambarus clarkii) and its health risk assessment to humans. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, 88: 103449.
- Ramkumar, M., Santosh, M., Abdul Rahaman, S., Balasundareshwaran, A., Balasubramani, K., Mathew, M.J., Sautter, B., Siddiqui S.N., Usha, K., Sreerhishya, K., Prithiviraj, G., Nagarajan, R., Thirukumaran, V., Menier, D., Kumaraswamy, K. (2019) Tectono-Morphological Evolution of the Cauvery, Vaigai and Thamirabarani River Basins: Implications on Timing, Stratigraphic Markers, Relative Roles of Intrinsic and Extrinsic Factors and Transience of Southern Indian Landscape. Geological Journal . 54:2870–2911.
- Nicola Brown, Christina Braoun, Jennifer McIlwain, Nagarajan R., Jens Zinke (2019) Borneo coral reefs subject to high sediment loads show evidence of resilience to various environmental stressors. PeerJ 7:e7382.
- Anandkumar A., Nagarajan R., Prabakaran K., Chua H.B., Rajaram R., Jian L., Daolin D., (2019) Bioaccumulation of trace metals in the coastal Borneo (Malaysia) and health risk assessment. Marine Pollution Bulletin . 145: 56-66.
- Ramkumar, Mu., Siddiqui, N.A., Mathew, M., Sautter, B., Hui, P.X., Nagarajan, R., Breitfeld, T., Santosh, M., Menier, D., Poppelreiter M., (2019) Structural controls on polyphase hydrothermal dolomitization in the Kinta Valley, Malaysia: Paragenesis and regional tectono-magmatism. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences. 174:364-380.
- Ramkumar, M., Kumaraswamy, K., Balasubramani, K., Abdul Rahaman, S., Jegankumar, R., Kumara Ganesh, U., Manikantan, E., Balasundareshwaran, A., Prithiviraj, G.,
Ayyanthurai, R., Santosh, M., Nagarajan, R., Siddiqui, N.A., Mathew, M.J., Menier, D., Ramachandran C., Sathyaseelan, M., Sivakumar P. (2019) Discovery of Buried Historical Structures in the Kaveri-Kollidam Interfluve, Southern India. Archaeological Prospection, 26(1):75-88. John Wiley
- Prabakaran, K., Nagarajan, R., Eswaramoorthi, S., Anandkumar, A., Merlin Franco F. (2019) Environmental significance and geochemical speciation of trace elements in
Lower Baram River sediments. Chemosphere 219: 933-953
- Anandkumar, A., Nagarajan R., Prabakaran, K., Chua H.B., Rajaram R. (2018) Human health risk assessment and bioaccumulation of trace metals in fish species collected from the Miri coast, Sarawak, Borneo. Marine Pollution Bulletin. 133: 655-663.
- Hernández-Hinojosa, V., Montiel-García, P.C., Armstrong-Altrin, J.S., Nagarajan, R., Kasper-Zubillaga J.J., (2018) Textural and geochemical characteristics of beach sands along the western Gulf of Mexico, Mexico. Carpathian Journal of Earth and Environmental Sciences . 13(1): 161-174.
- Raza, A., Gholami, R., Rezaee, R., Bing, C.H., Nagarajan, R., Hamid, M.A. (2018) CO2 storage in depleted gas reservoirs: A study on the effect of residual gas saturation” Petroleum. 4: 95-107.
- Tiju I.V., Prakash, T.N., Nagendra, R., Nagarajan, R. (2018) Sediment geochemistry of coastal environments, southern Kerala, India: implication for provenance. Arabian Journal of Geosciences. 11:61.
- Ramkumar, M., Santosh, M., Nagarajan, R., Li, S.S., Mathew, M., Menier, D., Siddiqui, N., Rai J., Sharma, A., Farroqui, S., Poppelreiter, M.C., Lai, J., Prasad, V. (2018) Late Middle Miocene volcanism in Northern Borneo, Southeast Asia: Implications for Tectonics, Paleoclimate and stratigraphic marker. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology (P3). 490:141-162.
- Anandkumar, A., Nagarajan R., Prabakaran, L., Rajaram R. (2017) Trace metal dynamics and risk assessment in the commercially important marine shrimp species collected from the Miri coast, Sarawak, East Malaysia. Regional Studies in Marine Science . 16:79-88.
- Raza, A., Gholami, R., Rezaee, R., Bing, C.H., Nagarajan, R., Hamid, M.A., 2017d. Assessment of CO2 residual trapping in depleted reservoirs used for geosequestration. Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering. 43, 137-155.
- Raza, A., Rezaee, R., Gholami, R., Bing, C.H., Nagarajan, R., Hamid, M.A., (2017c). Preliminary assessments of CO2 storage in carbonate formations: a case study from Malaysia. Journal of Geophysics and Engineering . 14:533-554.
- Prabakaran, K., Nagarajan, R., Merlin Franco, F., Anandkumar, A., (2017) Biomonitoring of Malaysian Aquatic Environments: a review of status and prospects. Ecohydrology & Hydrobiology, 17(2) 134-147.
- Shruti, V.C., Jonathan, M.P., Rodríguez-Espinosa, P.F., Nagarajan, R., Morales-García, S.S., Muñoz-Sevilla N.P., Tavera E.M., (2017) Geochemical characteristics of stream sediments from an urban-volcanic zone, Central Mexico: Natural and Man-made Inputs. Chemie der Erde-Geochemistry 77 (2) 303-321.
- Nagarajan, R., Roy, P.D., Kessler, F.L., Jong, J., Vivian, D., Jonathan, M.P., (2017) An integrated study of geochemistry and mineralogy of the Upper Tukau Formation, Borneo Island (East Malaysia): Sediment Provenance, Depositional Setting and Tectonic Implications. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences. 143:77-97.
- Prasanna, M.V., Nagarajan, R., Chidambaram, S., Anand Kumar, A., Thivya, C. (2017) Evaluation of hydrogeochemical characteristics and the impact of weathering in seepage water collected within the sedimentary formation. Acta Geochimica, 36(1):44–51.
- R.Nagendra, R.Nagarajan, T.N.Prakash Tiju Verghees (2017) Metal enrichments in core sediments and their possible impact, the Ashamudi Estuary, Southern Kerala, India. Journal of Indian Association of Sedimentologists. 34 (1&2):127-139.
- Nagarajan, R., Jong, J., Kessler, F.L., (2017) Provenance of the Neogene sedimentary rocks from the Tukau and Belait Formations, Northeastern Borneo by mineralogy and geochemistry. Warta Geologi, 43 (2), 10-16.
- Raza, A., Gholami, R., Rezaee, R., Bing, C.H., Nagarajan, R., Hamid, M.A., (2017b). Well selection in depleted oil and gas fields for a safe CO2 storage practice: a case study from Malaysia. Petroleum, 3(1), 167-177.
- Raza, A., Gholami, R., Rezaee, R., and Bing, C.H., Nagarajan, R., Hamid, M.A., (2017a) Preliminary assessment of CO2 injectivity potential in carbonate storage sites. Petroleum, 3(1), 144-154.
- Anandkumar, A., Rameshkumar, G., Ravichandran, S., Nagarajan, R., Prabakaran, K., Ramesh M., (2017) Distribution of isopod parasites in commercially important marine fishes of Miri coast, East Malaysia. Journal of parasitic diseases. 41(1):55- 61.
- Dodge-Wan, D., Prasanna M.V., Nagarajan, R., Anandkumar, A. (2017) Epiphreatic caves in Niah karst tower (NW Borneo): occurrence, morphology and hydrogeochemistry. Acta Carsologica. 46(2-3), 149-163.
C. Conference Proceedings
- Vivian Dayong, and R Nagarajan (2023) Interpretation of paleoenvironment using benthic foraminifera from Tertiary rocks, northern Sarawak. MATEC Web of Conferences 377, 01002 (2023) https://doi.org/10.1051/matecconf/202337701002. WOS -Conference 1Citation – 0; 2Citation – 0; 3Citation – 0
- Fianita, Vera Loo, H., Wong, K.S., Ben-Awuah, J., Nagarajan, R., Wen K.L. (2022) Durability assessment of Cenozoic shale in Northern Sarawak, Malaysia. Proceedings of the 7th International Young Geotechnical Engineers Conference – Scott (Ed.) Australian Geomechanics Society, Sydney Australia, pp.79-83. ISBN 978-0-9946261-5-8
- Prasanna, M.V. Illiya Amalina Binti Ahmad R., Nagarajan, R., Chidambaram, S. and Venkatramanan, S. (2019) Geoelectrical Investigation Along Miri Coast, East Malaysia: Evaluate the Vulnerability of Coastal Aquifer. IOP Conf. Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 495:012042, https://doi:10.1088/1757-899X/495/1/012042 WoS. 1Citation – 2; 2Citation – 2; 3Citation – 2
- Raza, A., Gholami, R., Rezaee, R., Bing, C.H., Nagarajan, R., Hamid, M.A., (2017) CO2 storage in heterogeneous aquifer: A study on the effect of temperature and mineral precipitation. Conference: IOP Conference Series Materials Science and Engineering. 206 (1) 012002. DOI: 10.1088/1757-899X/206/1/012002. WOS-Conference 1Citation – 4; 2Citation – 3; 3Citation – 2
- A Anandkumar, J Jaison, K Prabakaran, R Nagarajan and Y S Chan (2016) Water quality monitoring: A comparative case study of municipal and Curtin Sarawak’s lake samples. IOP Conf. Series: Materials Science and Engineering , 121: 012019 doi:10.1088/1757-899X/121/1/012019. WOS -Conference 1Citation – 6; 2Citation – 5; 3Citation – 4
- Raza, A., R. Rezaee, R, C.H. Bing, R. Gholami, R. Nagarajan, and M.A. Hamid. (2016) CO2 storage in heterogeneous aquifer: A study on the effect of injection rate and CaCO3 concentration. In IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering. 121: 012023 doi:10.1088/1757-899X/121/1/012023. WOS -Conference 1Citation – 8; 2Citation – 6; 3Citation – 4
- Arshad Raza, Chua Han Bing, R. Nagarajan and Mohamed Ali H (2015) Experimental Investigation on Sandstone Rock Permeability of Pakistan Gas Fields. IOP Conf. Series: Materials Science and Engineering 78; 012007 doi:10.1088/1757-899X/78/1/012007 WOS – Conference 1Citation – 5; 2Citation – 4; 3Citation – 3
- An investigation of alkali-carbonate reactivity of carbonate rocks from the greater Miri region. Lee Yeong Huei (PI) Co-investigators: Wong Kwong Soon, R Nagarajan, Tina Ting, Industrial Grant – Jabatan Kerja Raya Sarawak (JKRS) RM:20,000 (2023)
- Elementary testing-to obtain the compositions for alkaline sludge. (Wong Kwong Soon, & Ramasamy Nagarajan) OCIM RM: 19,800 (2022)
- Development of environmental surveillance of fluoride emissions from an aluminium smelter and investigation on the effect of fluoride accumulation on the surrounding environment. Prof. R. Nagarajan – Lead Project Investigator & Project Manager, Cynthia Anak Paul Sebli, Dr. Anuj Nishanth Lipton and Dr. Kiew Siaw Fui – co-investigators. Press Metals Sdn. Bhd. RM: 387,600 (Jan 2022 – Dec 2025)
- Is the Baram River a source of sediments found in the Miri-Sibuti Coral Reefs National Park? – A preliminary geochemical fingerprinting approach. Cynthia Anak Paul Sebli (PI), Co-Investigators: R.Nagarajan, Prasanna, M.V. Jens Zinke, Nicola Browne, Jennifer McIlwain, Curtin Malaysia Collaborative Research Scheme 2021 RM 20, 000 (Dec 2021 – Dec 2023)
- Use of Silicon Manganese Slag in Geopolymerisation for Peat Stabilisation (Wong Kwong Soon, PI; Ramasamy Nagarajan and Low Wai Wah. Catalyst Grant, SRDC: RM160,000 (Oct 2021-Sep 2024)
- Use of silicon manganese slag as fine aggregates for flexible pavement. (Low Wai Wah, Wong Kwong Soon, Ramasamy Nagarajan and Lim Chuan Jet. Borneo Hot-Mix Sdn Bhd. RM 10,769.00 (2021-2022)
- Determination of Vulnerability Zones based on Spatial and Temporal Variations of Metals in Different Size Fractions – Miri Estuary (Sarawak). PI: Dr.M.V. Prasanna; Co-investigators: Prof. S. Chidambaram, Prof. R. Nagarajan, Dr. Lau Shiew Wei, Dr. Domenik Wolffboenisch, FRGS: RM 90,200 (Sep 2021-2023)
- Characterization of the durability of Northern Sarawak Shales against weathering based on geochemistry, mineralogy and textural properties. PI – Dr Vera Loo Hui Co-investigators: Dr. Wong Kwong Soon; Prof. R. Nagarajan, Dr. Leong Wen Kam (KUT Sarawak); Dr. Joel Ben Awuah. FRGS RM: 108,700 (1 Jun 2018 – 31 Aug 2021)
- A proposal to develop environmental surveillance of possible fluoride emissions from an aluminium smelter. Project Manager: Prof.Clem Kuek, Investigators: R.Nagarajan, Cynthia Anak Paul Sebli. Press Metals Sdn. Bhd. RM: 229,200 (20 Jan 2018 – 31 Dec 2020)
- “Granulometría, geoquímica y datación de sedimentos detríticos de playas y plataforma continental del Golfo de México, México: Implicaciones de procedencia
y palaeoambiente”, Principal Investigator: Dr. John S. Armstrong-Altrin, R.Nagarajan Participant, Name of the Program: Programa de Apoyo de Proyectos de Investigacion y Innovacion Tecnologica (PAPIIT-IN 106117), UNAM-MEXICO Convocatoria PAPIIT MXN 202,550 (RM 46,161) 2017-2019.
- “A study on the status of salt water intrusion along the Miri coast, East Malaysia using Geoelectrical, Remote sensing and GIS techniques” Dr M.V. Prasanna (PI) Co-investigators: Dr R. Nagarajan; Illiya Amalina bt. Ahmad Ramdzani; Dr S. Chidambaram CSCRF: RM 50,000 (2 Jan 2015-21 Dec 2017)
- “Reservoir Characterization for CO2 injectivity and flooding: Offshore Malaysia” (PI) Dr. Chua Han Bing & Dr. Vamegh Rasouli Co-PIs:Dr Reeza Rezaee; Dr R. Nagarajan; Mr Lee Hon Fui; Dr Ali Elsaeh Enbaia, Dr Raoof Gholami; Mr Vikas Bhusan. RM 300, 000 CMRI Flagship grant 6015 (01/08/2014-30/06/2017)
- Geochemistry and distribution of trace metals in sediments in rivers proposed for dam sites (Baram, Baleh and Pelagus). Sarawak Energy Berhad., R.Nagarajan (PI); Dr.Dominique (Co-PI); SEB; RM 1,143,000; 18 Mar 2014- 25 Nov 2017.
- Mapping of Soil Erosion Risk in the Catchment Area of the Baram Hydro Project using Landsat and GIS. Funding: Sarawak Energy Board; Dr.Dominique (PI); R.Nagarajan (Co-PI) SEB; RM 995, 400; 18 Mar 2014- 17 Mar 2017.
- Principal Investigator and Team Leader: Assessment of heavy metal pollution in Miri River, Sarawak, Malaysia – a regular monitoring approach. Curtin Sarawak Research Institute (CMRI) CM Academic Grants – RM 100,000; 15/10/2012-14/10/2015
- Co-Principal Investigator – “Spatial and Temporal variations in Drip water chemistry of Great Niah Cave, NW Borneo, Malaysia” RM 12,500 awarded August 2012 (with Dr. V. Prasanna) 16 Aug 2012 – 31 Jul 2015
- Co-Principal Investigator – Sustainable Management of Surface Water Resources (Lakes and Rivers) in and around Miri City, Sarawak, Malaysia. CSRF; RM 10,000. (with Dr. V. Prasanna) 29 Dec 2010-29 Feb 2012
- Principal Investigator – Geochemistry of Niah Speleothems, Sarawak, Malaysia: Implications for Paleo Climate of NW Borneo (With Assoc. Prof. S. Srinivasalu, Anna University, India) CSRF – RM 10,000
- Potential Collaborator – Academia Sinica, Taiwan and project: Monsoon and Environmental History in East Asia: An Integration of Modern Instrumental Data, Historical Data, Tree-ring Chronology and Lake Sediment Records, Funded by National Science Council, Taiwan, Ref: NSC 100-2116-M-001 -014 -MY2. (Status: not executed the Malaysian part as the research team restricted the study within Taiwan)
- Title of the project: “Petrography and geochemistry of beach sands from different tectonic environments of Mexico: Implication on provenance”, Name of the Program: Programa de Apoyo de Proyectos de Investigacion y Innovacion Tecnologica (PAPIIT), UNAM-MEXICO Project Number: IA101213-2 Principal Investigator: Dr. John S. Armstrong-Altrin, Participant: Dr. R. Nagarajan: MXN 337,631 (RM 83,361) (January 2013 – December 2015).
- Natasha Cindy Anak Richard Pie (18602876/700015203) Mineralogical and Geochemical Studies on Tawau Gold Deposit, Sabah, Malaysia (Jan 23 – 26) (Principal Supervisor: 10%)
- Manobalaji Annamalai (21565221/700047766) Rare Earth Element Potential of Sarawak State, East Malaysia (Jan 23 – 26) (Principal Supervisor: 20%) (Status: Ongoing)
- Fianita Anak Anthony (20381989/700041379) Use of Silicon Manganese Slag in Geopolymerisation for Peat Stabilization (Co Supervisor: 20% contribution) (2022-2025)
- Abdulmajid Muhammad Ali (14926527 / 700006998) Fingerprinting and tracing the source of sediments and their effects in the Miri-Sibuti Coral Reef National Park (MSCRNP)
(Main Supervisor: 40% contribution) (2022-2025) (Status: Ongoing)
- Sharveen Ravichandran (700014264/19089056) Geochemistry and Mineralogy of Miri-Sibuti Rivers to MSCRNP Sediments and Their Environmental Significance (Main Supervisor: 55% contribution) (2022-2025) (Status: Ongoing)
- Anastasia Shera (21179130/700045402) Investigation Into Potential Fluoride Remediation Using Microalgae (Main Supervisor: 20% contribution) (2022-2025) (Status: Ongoing)
- Vivian Dayong (700012441) Geochemical and Petrographical characteristics of Setap Shale sediments: Implications of provenance, tectonic settings, paleoweathering and paleoredox conditions. (8th March 2021-till date) (Main Supervisor: 50% contribution) (Status: Ongoing)
- Anusuman Mishra (700040562) Occurrence and distribution of microplastics in sediments of the Miri coastal environment, Northwest Borneo. (Dec 2020-till date) (Co-Supervisor: 20% contribution) (Status: Ongoing)
- Samantha Tan Wei Ling (700008620 / 7E1A8521) “Petrography and Geochemistry of Miocene sedimentary rocks from the Sibuti Formation, NW Borneo: Implications on Depositional and Post-Depositional changes” (Main Supervisor 55%) (since Sep 2019-Mar 2022); (Status: Ongoing)
- Cynthia Anak Paul Sebli Urban (7E4A2856) Geochemical mapping in Miri City: its role in environmental health. (2014-2022) (Main Supervisor: 70% contribution) (Status: On
- Rakesh Roshan (700018323) Geochemistry of Characteristics of Water, Sediments, Suspended solids in the Sibuti river Estuary and its potential on Miri-Sibuti Coral Reefs. (2016-2021) (Co-Supervisor: 40% contribution). (Status: Degree Awarded)
- K.Prabakaran (2014-2017) Ecotoxicology of metals in Baram River Estuarine System, Sarawak, Malaysia (Supervisor:70% contribution) (Result: Awarded with Chancellor’s letter based on the external examiners’ recommendation)
- Arshad Raza (2014-2017) Reservoir Characterisation for CO2 injectivity and flooding in Petroleum Reservoirs, offshore Malaysia. (Co-Supervisor: 15% contribution) (Degree awarded)
- A. Anandkumar (2012-2016) Ecological Risk Assessment of the Miri Coast, Sarawak, Borneo – A Biogeochemical Approach. (Co-Supervisor: 90% contribution) (Result: Awarded with Chancellor’s letter based on the external examiners’ recommendation).
- Ranjen A/L Chandra Segaran (18026421/700012153) Chemostratigraphy Of Batu Gading Carbonates: Paleo-Redox Conditions and Diagenesis (Jan 23-25) (Principal Supervisor: 30%) (Status: Ongoing)
- Fiona Bassy William (17640286) Distribution and Sources of Eco-toxic Metals in Particulate, Colloid, Dissolved Fractions (4 Feb 2021-till date) (Co-Supervisor: 20% contribution) (Status: Ongoing)
- Fianita Anak Anthony (700041379) Durability of Northern Sarawak Shale against Short-Term Weathering Based on Geochemistry, Mineralogy, and Textural Properties (June 2020 – May 2022) (Co-Supervisor: 25% contribution) (Degree Awarded)
- Abdulmajid Muhammad Ali (7D9A6303 / 700006998) Integrated Petrography, Geochemistry and Petrophysical Characteristics of Miri Formation, Sarawak, Malaysia (2018-2021) (Main Supervisor; 50%) (Degree Awarded)
- Vivian Dayong (2014-2018) Geochemistry and Mineralogy of clastic sediments of Tukau Formation: implications on Provenance and Tectonic Setting (Co-Supervisor: 80% contribution). (Degree Awarded)
- Navakanesh M. Batmanathan (2016-2018) A study on the earthquake hazard of Sabah, Malaysia with the aid of high-resolution satellite images and field investigation. (Supervisor: 20% contribution) (Degree awarded)
- Poon Xin Hui (2016-2019) Hydrothermal dolomitisation and porosity evaluation (MSc., by Research, University Technologi Petronas, Malaysia: Degree Awarded)
- Johanna Duarte Ordonez (Reg.No:516492607) (2016-2017) Geochemistry of the Cabllos Formation (Middle Aptian-Middle Albian), Upper Magdalena Valley, Colombia: Chemostratigraphy and Environmental conditions. (Masters in Earth Sciences (By Research) Universidan Nacional Autonama de Mexico; Awarded, 2017; Degree Awarded)
Member of Editorial Board
- Associate Editor: Energy Geoscience, Elsevier (Since April 2023; Scopus)
- Associate Editor: Frontiers in Earth Science (since Oct 2022) (IF 3.661; WOS)
- Member of Editorial Board: Energy Geoscience, Elsevier (Since Sep 2021; ESCI)
- Member of Editorial Board: Journal of Geointerface (Since 2022)
- Ramkumar, M., Nagarajan, R., and Santosh, M., (Guest Editors) 2021 Special Issue: Reservoir Characterization and Enhanced Oil Recovery. Special Issue of Energy Geoscience, Volume 2, Issue 4, Pages 219-344 (October 2021) Elsevier
- Ramkumar, M., Nagarajan, R., and Santosh, M., (Guest Editors) 2021 Special Issue: Geochemistry of Sedimentary systems: Current trends and applications, Geological Journal, Volume 56, Issue 5, Pages: ii-iv, 2297-2867. John Wiley & Sons. ISSN: 1099-1034.
- Member of Editorial Board: Geoconservation Research (Since 2017’; Scopus and ESCI Indexed)
- Member of Editorial Board: Sustainable Water Resources Management (Springer) (Since 2015)
- Associate Editor: Sustainable Water Resources Management (Springer) (since Feb 2018)
- Associate Editor – EnviroGeoChimica Acta (2014-2020)
- Editor: International Journal of Advanced Earth Science and Engineering (2012-2021)
- Associate Editor: Journal of Environmental Science and Water Resources (JESWR) (2012-2015)
- Chief Editor: FoES R&D Newsletter, Curtin University Malaysia (Since Feb 2018-Nov 2019)
Consultancy Projects Handled
- Larsen & Toubro (P) Ltd, India, 2001- 2004 (10 Projects)
- Glass Industries Ltd, India, July 2001
- Geo-foundations & Structures Ltd, India, 2002 – 2004 (4 Projects)
- Enterprising and Enterprises (P) Ltd, India, September 2002
- Gimpex (p) Ltd, India, March 2003
- Enterprising and Enterprises (P) Ltd, India, March 2003
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation, India, 2002 – 2003
- SRC (P) Ltd, India, January 2004
- Organized an international conference on Environmental Earth Sciences: Accomplishments, Plans & Challenges during 19-22 March 2014 with the Department of Applied Geology, University of Madras, Chennai, India. (Curtin Sarawak: Partner: Dr.R.Nagarajan, International Coordinator).
- Organized a session on “Biogeosciences – Inferring environmental condition from geochemical data” under Bio geosciences in AGU – Meeting of the Americas held during 14-17 May 2013, in Cancun, Mexico.
- Organized a session on “Sedimentary registers to evaluate environmental science” under IWG – Interdisciplinary Working Groups, in AOGS-AGU (WPGM) Joint assembly held during 13-17 August 2012, Singapore.
- Organized a summer survey camp at Thirumoorthy Hills on ‘Surveying II’ February 2007.
- Organized a training programme on ‘Total Station and GPS’ 25-29 September 2006.
- Organized a summer training programme on ‘Modern surveying’ April 2005.
- Editor – CUTSE International Conference Proceedings 2011 (Nov 2011) and 2018
- Student Chapter Advisor: Curtin University of Technology, Sarawak Student Chapter of AAPG (since 2012)
- Student Chapter Advisor: Curtin University of Technology, Sarawak Student Chapter of EAGE (Since Dec 2015)
- International Advisory Committee member: International conference on Mangroves and Climate Change (ICMCC2015) held in School of Earth and Atmospheric Science, University of Madras, Chennai during Feb 16-18, 2015.
- Reviewer: Elsevier Publications (Science of the Total Environment, Chemosphere, Gondwana Research, Marine and Petroleum Geology, Applied Geochemistry, Chem der Erde/Geochemistry, Journal of Hydrology, International Journal of Sediment Research, Marine Pollution Bulletin; Geoscience Frontiers; Comptes Rendus Geoscience; Environmental Pollution; Regional Studies in Marine Science; Data in Brief; Ecological Indicators; Journal of Food and Compositional and Analysis; Journal of Palaeogeography, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, Energy Geoscience; International Journal of Sediment Research, Groundwater for Sustainable Development; Journal of South American Earth Sciences)
- Reviewer: Springer publications (Scientific Reports, Environmental Science and Pollution Research, Environmental Geochemistry and Health, Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, Environmental Earth Sciences; Environmental Processes, Geosciences Journal, Journal of Earth System Science, Arabian Journal of Geosciences, Mineralogy and Petrology, Applied Water Sciences, Carbonates and Evaporites, Environmental Modeling and Assessment, Environment, Development and Sustainability, Journal of the Geological Society of India, Journal of Coastal Conservation, Chinese Journal of Geochemistry, Journal of Coastal Conservation: Planning and Management Erosion, Natural Hazards, Sustainable Water Resources Management, Journal of Sedimentary Environments)
- Reviewer: Wiley Publications (Geological Journal; Marine Georesources & Geotechnology) AGU Geophysical Monograph series (Wiley Publications) (Book: “Chemostratigraphy across major Chronostratigraphical Boundaries” 2 Chapters)
- Reviewer: Taylor and Francis Online: Geology, Ecology, and Landscapes
- Reviewer: Cambridge University Press (Earth and Environmental Science Transactions of The Royal Society of Edinburgh)
- MQA- Panel of Assessor: Compliance Audit for the Doctor of Philosophy course offered by Swinburne University of Technology Sarawak Campus (SUTS) 24-26 Feb 2021.
- Academic Audit: Internal auditor for BCom courses (Banking and Finance; Finance and marketing) MQA internal audit held during 17-18 Oct 2019.
- Academic Audit: Completed Academic Audit Awareness & COPPA documentation workshop on 15th July 2019.
- Academic Audit: Internal auditor for MPhil Engineering course – MQA internal audit held in 2013
- Foreign Geologist – Board of Geologist Malaysia (FG 417) Since 2021
- Professional Member: International Society of Environmental Relationship and Sustainability (ISERS) (PM64209185) (2021)
- Life Member – Association of Geoscientists for International Development (AGID)
- Life Member – Geological Society of Malaysia
- Fellow – Society Earth Scientists (SES): Earth Science India (F/376)
- Life Member – Indian Association of Sedimentologists (IAS)
- International Secretary – Earth System Science Group (ESSG), Chennai, India since 2012
- Member (Regular) – American Geophysical Union (AGU) (No: 11536302)
- Member – American Association of Petroleum Geologist (AAPG) (No: 10090381) since 2012
- Member – European Association of Geologist and Engineer (EAGE) M2015-3169 (2014-2018)
- Member – EAOG (European Association of Organic Geochemists) C2015-02155 (2018)
- Visiting Professor – Anna University, Chennai, India