John Lau Sie Yon
Assoc. Prof. Dr. John Lau Sie Yon
Ph.D , BEng (Hons), MIEAust, CPEng, NER
Associate Dean of Research and Development
Location: Skylark 3 Room 330
Telephone: +60 85 630 100 Ext: 2418
Fax: +60 85 630 254
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=gHK8apcAAAAJ
Associate Professor Dr. John Lau Sie Yon is an active researcher in the Department of Chemical Engineering. He is currently holding the position of Associate Dean of R&D in Faculty of Engineering and Science at Curtin University Malaysia Campus. He completed his Bachelor degree in Chemical Engineering at Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM), Penang in 2008. He then pursued his postgraduate studies at USM in 2009 and obtained his PhD Degree in 2013. During his PhD studies, he involved as a research engineer in designing a pilot-scale pharmaceutical production plant, which was funded by the Malaysian Technology Development Corporation (MTDC). Besides, he also involved in a Malaysia-Cuba Technology Transfer project on vaccine production facility design at Finlay Institute, Cuba in 2012. His areas of specialization are enzyme technology and application in various fields such as wastewater treatment, chiral drugs separations, biosensing, synthesis of nano-biocatalyst as well as enzymatic membrane separation technologies.
- PhD in Chemical Engineering, Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM), 2009-2013
- BEng (Hons.) in Chemical Engineering, Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM), 2004-2008
- Enzyme technology for various applications
- Biocatalysis development for the production of fine chemicals
- Membrane separation processes
- Chiral separations using enzymatic membrane reactor
- Biomass conversion for industry applications
- Aptamer mediated biosensor for pathogen detection
- Nano-vehicles for targeted drug delivery
Selected Research Funding & Research Projects
- Mechanistic study on the formation of facile self-assembly magnetic enzyme-inorganic hybrid nanoflowers biocatalyst. FRGS-(2019-2022) – Principal Investigator
- Improving enzymes selectivity (reaction kinetics and mechanistic pathway) to increase bio-hydrogen yield from xylose, FRGS-(2019-2022) – Co-Investigator
- Synthesis of cationized starch derived from fruit wastes as promising natural coagulants for turbidity removal, SRDC grant. (2019-2022). Co-Investigator
- Nanomilling Hydrothermal/Enzymatic Treatment towards Lignin Isolation from Oil Palm Empty Fruit Bunch in Sarawak. SRDC grant. (2019-2022). Co-Investigator
- One-Stop Protein Information Portal to simplify information retrieval by integrating diverse proteomic data. PRGS. (2015-2018). Co-Investigator
- Investigation on shear strength and consolidation behaviour of peat treated using microbial induced calcite precipitation. FRGS. (2015-2018). Co-Investigator
- Enzyme-immobilised polymeric capsules for continuous palm oil mill effluent (POME) treatment. Curtin Sarawak Research Institute CSM Academic Grants. (2013-2015) – Principal Investigator
- Kinetic modelling of aptameric sensing for real-time pathogen detection and bio-screening. FRGS grant. (2014-2017). Principal-Investigator
- Advancing pathogen detection and screening using aptameric molecules (2014-2016). Curtin Research Flagship Programme. Principal-Investigator
- PECIPTA 2019, Bronze Award
- PECIPTA 2017, Bronze Award
- Best Lecturer award (Student Choice Awards @ Faculty level)-2017
- Best Lecturer award (Student Choice Awards @ Department level)-2017
- Best Lecturer award (Student Choice Awards@ Department level)-2015
- USM Research Publication Awards, 2011 and 2012
- A Continuous Fouling–free Dye Removal Process via Incorporation of Auto-Regenerated Enzymatic Buckypaper, Principal Inventor, (Patent number: PI 2017704294), Filing Date: 13/11/2017
- Synthesis of High Strength Bio-sandstone Using Peat (Patent under review)
- Jonah Teo Teck Chye, Lau Yien Jun, Lau Sie Yon, Sharadwata Pan, and Michael K. Danquah. Chapter 3: Biofuel production from algal biomass. Konur, O. (Ed.). (2018). Bioenergy and Biofuels. Boca Raton: CRC Press. Page 86-109
- Tiong Chiong, Caleb Acquah, Sie Y. Lau, Ee H. Khor, Michael K. Danquah. (2016). Chapter 12: Microalgal-Based Protein By-Products: Extraction, Purification, and Applications. Protein Byproducts: Transformation from Environmental Burden into Value-Added Products. Elsevier Science and Technology. Pages 213-234
- H. Kamaruddin, M.H. Uzir, F.N. Gonawan, and S.Y. Lau. (2015) Chapter 16: Dynamic Enzymatic Kinetic Resolution of NSAIDS. Nanobiomaterials in Antimicrobial Therapy. Advances in Bioprocess Technology,Spinger int, Page 317-356.
- Lau Yien Jun, Rama Rao Karri, Lau Sie Yon, N.M. Mubarak, Chua Han Bing, Khalid Mohammad, Priyanka Jagadish, E.C. Abdullah, 2020. Modeling and optimization by particle swarm embedded neural network for adsorption of methylene blue by jicama peroxidase immobilized on buckypaper/polyvinyl alcohol membrane, Environmental Research,183, 109158.
- Lau Yien Jun, Rama Rao Karri, N.M. Mubarak, Lau Sie Yon, Chua Han Bing, Mohammad Khalid, Priyanka Jagadish, E.C. Abdullah, 2020. Modelling of methylene blue adsorption using peroxidase immobilized functionalized Buckypaper/polyvinyl alcohol membrane via ant colony optimization, Environmental Pollution, 259,113940.
- Kei X. Tan, Jaison Jeevanandam, Sharadwata Pan, Lau Sie Yon, Michael K. Danquah,2020. Aptamer-navigated copolymeric drug carrier system for in vitro delivery of MgO nanoparticles as insulin resistance reversal drug candidate in Type 2 diabetes, Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology, Volume 57, 101764
- Jeevanandam, Jaison; Harun, Mohd R.; Lau, Sie Y.; Sewu, Divine D.; Danquah, Michael K. 2020. Microalgal Biomass Generation via Electroflotation: A Cost-Effective Dewatering Technology. Appl. Sci. 10, no. 24: 9053. https://doi.org/10.3390/app10249053.
- Lau Yien Jun, Lau Sie Yon, N. M. Mubarak, Chua Han Bing, S. Pan, M. K. Danquah, et al., 2019. An overview of immobilized enzyme technologies for dye and phenolic removal from wastewater, Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, vol. 7, p. 102961.
- Lau Yien Jun, N. M. Mubarak, Lau Sie Yon, Chua Han Bing, M. Khalid, P. Jagadish and E. C. Abdullah, 2019. Immobilization of Peroxidase on Functionalized MWCNT-Buckypaper/Polyvinyl alcohol Nanocomposite Membrane, Scientific Reports, vol. 9, p. 2215, 2019/02/18 2019.
- Lau Yien Jun, Lau Sie Yon, N. M. Mubarak, K. S. Yeo, C. H. Bing. Comparison of Drying Method on Acid-functionalized Multi-walled Carbon Nanotube & their Application for Dye Removal. 2019. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering 495 (1), 012057.
- Lau, Sie Yon, Phuan, S.L., Danquah, M.K., Acquah, C. Sustainable palm oil refining using pelletized and surface-modified oil palm boiler ash (OPBA) biosorbent. 2019. Journal of Cleaner Production. 230, pp. 527-535.
- Wong, J.K.H., Tan, H.K., Lau, Sie Yon, Yap, P.-S., Danquah, M.K. Potential and challenges of enzyme incorporated nanotechnology in dye wastewater treatment: A review. 2019. Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering. 7(4), 103261.
- Tan, K.X., Ujan, S., Danquah, M.K., Lau, Sie Yon. Design and characterization of a multi-layered polymeric drug delivery vehicle. 2019. Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering. 97 (S1), pp. 1243-1252.
- Phang, I.R.K., Wong, K.S., Chan, Y.S., Lau, S.Y. Effect of surcharge load on Microbial-Induced Calcite Precipitation (MICP) treatment of tropical peat. 2019. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering. 495 (1), 012068.
- Chiong, T., Lau, S.Y., Zeng, X., Danquah, M.K. Synthesis of peroxidase-encapsulated sodium cellulose sulphate/poly-dimethyl-diallyl-ammonium chloride biopolymer via polyelectrolyte complexation for enhanced removal of phenol. 2019. Asia-Pacific Journal of Chemical Engineering. 14 (2), e2296.
- Chiong Tung, Lau Sie Yon, Zeng Xianhai, Michael Danquah. 2018. Synthesis of peroxidase-encapsulated NaCS-PDMDAAC biopolymer via polyelectrolyte complexation for enhanced removal of phenol. Asia-Pacific Journal of Chemical Engineering. In press
- Kei Xian Tan, Safina Ujan, Michael K Danquah, Sie Yon Lau. Design and Characterization of a Multi‐Layered Polymetric Drug Delivery Vehicle. The Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering. https://doi.org/10.1002/cjce.23389
- Bing, L. and Chandrasekaran, P. and Francis Xavier, V. and Rajput, H. and Ann, C. and Mujawar, M. and Lau, S.Y. 2018. Feasibility Study for Production of Hydrogen from Agricultural Solid Residue with Reference to Malaysia Using ASPEN Plus Simulation. Waste and Biomass Valorization. 10.1007/s12649-018-0470-z
- Lau Yien Jun, N.M. Mubarak, Lau Sie Yon, Chua Han Bing, Mohammad Khalid, E.C. Abdullah. (2018). Comparative study of acid functionization of carbon nanotube via ultrasonic and reflux mechanism, Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering (in-press https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jece.2018.09.008) IF:1.385
- Lau Yien Jun, N.M. Mubarak, Min Juey Yee, Lau Sie Yon, Chua Han Bing, Mohammad Khalid, E.C. Abdullah, An overview of functionalised carbon nanomaterial for organic pollutant removal, Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry (in-press https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jiec.2018.06.028) IF:4.481
- Vanitha Katheresan, Jibrail Kansedo, Sie Yon Lau, Efficiency of various recent wastewater dye removal methods: A review, Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, Volume 6, Issue 4, 2018, 4676-4697,ISSN 2213-3437 IF:1.385
- Caleb Acquah, Michael K. Danquah, Yi Wei Chan, Charles K. S. Moy, Clarence M. Ongkudon & Sie Yon Lau (2018) Chromatographic characterisation of aptamer-modified poly(EDMA-co-GMA) monolithic disk format for protein binding and separation, Separation Science and Technology, 53:13, 2100-2111, DOI:10.1080/01496395.2018.1443139 IF: 1.2
- Tan KX, Lau SY, Danquah MK. (2018). Process evaluation and in vitro selectivity analysis of aptamer-drug polymeric formulation for targeted pharmaceutical delivery. 101:996-1002. doi: 10.1016/j.biopha.2018.03.052 IF: 3.457
- Phang, RKI, Chan, YS., Wong, KS., Lau, SY. (2018). Isolation and Characterisation of Urease-producing Bacteria from Tropical Peat. Biocatalysis and Agricultural Biotechnology. Volume 13, 168-175 IF: 0.887
- Kei X Tan, Michael K Danquah, Amandeep Sidhu, Sie Yon Lau, Clarence M Ongkudon (2017). Biophysical characterization of layer-by-layer synthesis of aptamer-drug microparticles for enhanced cell targeting. Biotechnology Progress. DOI: 10.1002/btpr.2524. IF: 1.947
- Tan KX, Danquah MK, Sidhu A, Lau SY, Ongkudon CM. (2016 ). Aptamer-mediated polymeric vehicles for enhanced cell-targeted drug delivery. Current Drug Targets. 17 (16), 1-11. IF:3.11
- Tan KX, Danquah MK, Sidhu A, Ongkudon CM, Lau SY. (2016). Towards targeted cancer therapy: Aptamer or oncolytic virus? European Journal of Parhameutical Science, 96, 8-19. IF: 3.869
- C Acquah, LS Yon, Z Tuah, NL Ngee, MK Danquah. (2016). Synthesis and performance analysis of oil palm ash (OPA) based adsorbent as a palm oil bleaching material. Journal of Cleaner Production 139, 1098-1104. IF: 6.352
- Tung Chiong, Sie Yon Lau, Zhan Hong Lek, Yew Koh Boon, Michael K. Danquah, Enzymatic treatment of methyl orange dye in synthetic wastewater by plant-based peroxidase enzymes, (2016). Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering. ISSN 2213-3437, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jece.2016.04.030. IF:1.385
- Tan SY, Acquah C, Sidhu A, Ongkudon CM, Yon L S, Danquah MK. SELEX modifications and bioanalytical techniques for aptamer-target binding characterization. (2016). Crit Rev Anal Chem. 15:0. (Published) IF:3.231
- Caleb Acquah, Michael Danquah, John L Yon, Amandeep Sidhu, Clarence M Ongkudon. A review on immobilised aptamers for high throughput biomolecular detection and screening. (2015). Analytica Chimica Acta. 888, Pages 10–18 IF:5.123
- Chiong T, Lau SY, Khor EH, Danquah MK. (2014). Enzymatic approach to phenol removal from wastewater using peroxidases. OA Biotechnology. 10;3(1):9.
- N. Gonawan, Lau S. Y., Kamaruddin A. H., and Uzir M. H.(2014). Rapid Base-Catalyzed Racemization of (R)-Ibuprofen Ester in Isooctane–Dimethyl Sulfoxide Medium with Improved Kinetic Model. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. 53 (2), 635-642. IF:3.141
- Lau, S. Y., Gonawan, F. N., Kamaruddin, A. H., Uzir, M. H. (2013). Enzymatic Deracemization of (R,S)-Ibuprofen Ester via Lipase-Catalyzed Membrane Reactor. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. 52 (27), pp 9441–9453, IF:3.141
- Gonawan, F. N, Lau, S. Y., Kamaruddin, A. H. and Uzir, M. H. (2012). Effect of Co-solvent addition on the reaction kinetics of the lipase catalyzed resolution of ibuprofen ester. Journal of Chemical Technology & Biotechnology. 88(4),672-679. IF: 2.587
- Lau, S. Y., Gonawan, F. N., Bhatia, S., Kamaruddin, A. H., & Uzir, M. H. (2011). Conceptual design and simulation of a plant for the production of high purity (S)-ibuprofen acid using innovative enzymatic membrane technology. Chemical Engineering Journal, 166(2), 726-737. IF:6.735
- Lau, S.Y., Uzir, M.H., Kamaruddin, A.H. and Bhatia, S. (2010). Lipase-catalyzed dynamic kinetic resolution of racemic ibuprofen ester via hollow fiber membrane reactor: Modeling and simulation. Journal of Membrane Science, 357(1-2), 109-121. IF:6.656
- Phang, RKI, Chan, YS., Wong, KS., Lau, SY., Effect of microbial-induced calcite precipitation towards tropical organic soil. AIP Conference Proceedings 2020, 020011 (2018); https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5062637
- Sheena Lau Yien Jun, John Lau Sie Yon, Mubarak Mujawar, Chua Han Bing, Comparison of Drying Method on Acid-functionalized Multi-walled Carbon Nanotube and their Application for Dye Removal. CUTSE Conference 2018.
- Tan KX, Lau SY, Danquah MK, The 6TH international Conference on Biomedical Engineering and Biotechnology (ICBEB 2017).
- Tung Chiong, Sie Yon Lau, Ee Huey Khor, and Michael Kobina Danquah and Sie Yon Lau Comparison of Two Agricultural Wastes for Phenol Removal via Peroxidase-Catalyzed Enzymatic Approach, ICCPE 2016 : 2016 5th International Conference on Chemical and Process Engineering (ICCPE 2016)
- T Chiong , S Y Lau, E H Khor, M K Danquah, (2015). Peroxidase extraction from jicama skin peels for phenol removal, Conference, International Conference on Chemical And Bioprocess Engineering. KK, Malaysia
- Lau, S.Y., Mohamad, H. U., and Azlina, H.K. (2012). Production of optically pure (S)-ibuprofen acid via enzymatic dynamic kinetic resolution in hollow fiber membrane reactor. Chemeca 2012, Wellington, New Zealand.
- HDR Student Name: Ms Shamini Anboo (PhD)
Supervisor: Dr John Lau Sie Yon (Principal), Dr. Tony Hadibarata, Dr. Jibrail Kansedo, Dr. Yap Pow Seng.
Project: Mechanistic study on the formation of facile self-assembly magnetic enzyme-inorganic hybrid nanoflowers biocatalyst.
- HDR Student Name: Eldon Chua (PhD)
Supervisor: Dr John Lau Sie Yon (Co-supervisor), Dr. Wee Siaw Khur, Dr Jibrail Kansedo, Dr Garenth Lim, Dr Sharul.
Project: Improving enzymes selectivity (reaction kinetics and mechanistic pathway) to increase bio-hydrogen yield from xylose.
- HDR Student Name: Sheena Lau Yien Jun (PhD)
Supervisor: Dr John Lau Sie Yon, Dr. Mubarak Mujawar, Dr. Chua Han Bing
Project: Immobilised Enzyme on Bulky paper for continuous Dye wastewater removal.
Status: Graduated (2020)
- HDR Student Name: Evelyn Chiong Tung (PhD)
Supervisor: Dr John Lau Sie Yon, Professor Dr Michael Danquah, Dr. Khor Ee Huey
Project: Phenol removal by using Peroxidase enzyme extracted from Agricultural Waste
Status: Graduated (2019)
- HDR Student Name: Tan Kei Xian (PhD)
Supervisors: Dr John Lau Sie Yon, Professor Dr Michael Danquah, Dr. Amandeep
Project: Aptameric Formulation for Enhanced Cell-targeted Drug Delivery
Status: Graduated (2018)
- HDR Student Name: Ignatius Phang
Supervisors: Dr Wong Kwong Soon, Dr Stephanie Chan Yen San, Dr John Lau Sie Yon
Project: Investigation on shear strength and consolidation behavior of peat treated using microbial induced calcite precipitation
- HDR Student Name: Caleb Acquah (PhD)
Supervisors: Professor Dr Michael Danquah, Dr John Lau Sie Yon, Dr. Charles K.S. Moy, Dr. Clarence Ongkudon
Project: Development of Aptamer-based polymeric Biosensors for Advanced Bioscreening
Status: Graduated (2018)
- Chartered Engineer, Engineer Australia (EA) Chartered Area(s) of Practice Chemical Engineering & Environmental Engineering
- Member of institute of Chemical Engineers (IChemE)
- Member of American Chemical Society (ACS)
- Member of Golden Key