Dr. Jibrail Kansedo
PhD, MSc, BEng, AMIChemE
Location: Skylark 3 Room 340
Telephone: +60 85 630 100 Ext: 2468
Fax: +60 85 630 254
He is currently a lecturer in the Department of Chemical Engineering, Curtin University, Sarawak Campus. He obtained his Bachelor degree in Chemical Engineering at Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM), Penang in 2006. He pursued his Master degree (Chemical Engineering), also at the same institution from 2006 to 2009. After completing his Master degree, he worked as a Research Officer for a year before pursuing his PhD at the same institution from 2010 to 2015.
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Chemical Engineering (2015), Universiti Sains Malaysia
- Master of Science (Chemical Engineering) (2009), Universiti Sains Malaysia
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) (Chemical Engineering) (2006), Universiti Sains Malaysia
- Research Officer (Research Project: Microalgae for biodiesel production), September 2009 – June 2010, Universiti Sains Malaysia
- Research Assistant, July 2009 – August 2009, Universiti Sains Malaysia
- Graduate Assistant, December 2006 – June 2009, Universiti Sains Malaysia
- Research Assistant, July 2006 – September 2006, Universiti Sains Malaysia
- Trainee Engineer at Syarimo Palm Oil Mill – IOI Corporation Berhad (Lahad Datu Branch), March 2004 – May 2004, Sabah, Malaysia
- Best Lecturer (Student Choice Award) for Chemical Engineering (Curtin University Malaysia) in Semester 2, 2019
- Best Lecturer (Student Choice Award) for Chemical Engineering (Curtin University Malaysia) in Semester 2, 2018
- Best Paper Award, Curtin University Technology, Science and Engineering International Conference (CUTSE) 2018
- Bronze Medal in Undergraduate Research Competition & Exhibition (URCE 2017), Universiti Kuala Lumpur (UniKL MICET), 8th November 2017
- Sanggar Sanjung Awards for excellent achievement in category of Journal Publication (2008, 2010, 2012, 2013 & 2014), Universiti Sains Malaysia
- Universiti Sains Malaysia Postgraduate Research Grant (PRGS) award (2011 – 2014)
- Malaysia Ministry of Higher Education (MyBrain15 – MyPhD) scholarship award (2011 – 2014)
- Malaysia Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation (MOSTI) scholarship award (2007 – 2009)
- Renewable Energy
- Biodiesel Productions (Edible and Non-Edible Sources)
- Catalytic Reactions (Heterogeneous Catalysts)
- Reaction Kinetics Modeling
- SY Chua, CMH Goh, YH Tan, NM Mubarak, J Kansedo, M Khalid, R. Walvekar, EC Abdullah (2020). Biodiesel synthesis using natural solid catalyst derived from biomass waste—A review, Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry 81, 41-60.
- HY Teh, U Suparmaniam, MK Lam, Y Uemura, JW Lim, IS Tan, J Kansedo, S Lim (2019). Harvesting of Chlorella Vulgaris Biomass by Using Different Bio-Flocculants: A Comparison Study, International Journal of Biomass and Renewables 8 (2), 17-27.
- RD Arjanggi, J Kansedo (2019). Recent Advancement and Prospective of Waste Plastics as Biodiesel Additives: A Review, Journal of the Energy Institute, 6th September 2019, In Press, Corrected Proof.
- ZL Chung, YH Tan, Y San Chan, J Kansedo, NM Mubarak, M Ghasemi, Life cycle assessment of waste cooking oil for biodiesel production using waste chicken eggshell derived CaO as catalyst via transesterification, Biocatalysis and Agricultural Biotechnology 21, 101317.
- Jasmine Si Jie Ling, Yie Hua Tan, Nabisab Mujawar Mubarak, Jibrail Kansedo, Agus Saptoro, Cirilo Nolasco-Hipolito. (2019). A review of heterogeneous calcium oxide based catalyst from waste for biodiesel synthesis. SN Applied Sciences, 1 (8), 810.
- Y.H. Tan, M.O. Abdullah, J. Kansedo, N.M. Mubarak, Y.S. Chan, C. Nolasco-Hipolito (2019). Biodiesel production from used cooking oil using green solid catalyst derived from calcined fusion waste chicken and fish bones, Renewable Energy, 139, 696-706.
- Jibrail Kansedo, Yeon Xin Sim, Keat Teong Lee. (2019). Feasibility of Continuous Fatty Acid Methyl Esters (FAME) Production from Hydrolyzed Sea Mango (Cerbera odollam) Oil at Room Temperature Using Cationic Ion Exchange Resin, IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 495, 012050, Doi:10.1088/1757-899X/495/1/012050.
- Teck Quan Lau, Vincent Tung Hua Tang, Jibrail Kansedo. (2019). Influence of Soil and Light Condition on the Growth and Antioxidants Content of Amaranthus Cruentus (Red Amaranth) Microgreen, IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 495, 012051, Doi:10.1088/1757-899X/495/1/0120512.
- Vanitha Katheresan, Jibrail Kansedo, Lau Sie Yon, Efficiency of various recent wastewater dye removal methods: A review, Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, Elsevier, Volume 6, Pages 4676-4697.
- Jibrail Kansedo, Keat Teong Lee, Esterification of hydrolyzed sea mango (Cerbera odollam) oil using various cationic ion exchange resins, Energy Science & Engineering, Wiley Online Library, Vol 2, Issue 1, March 2014, Pages 31–38.
- Jibrail Kansedo, Keat Teong Lee, Non-catalytic hydrolysis of sea mango (Cerbera odollam) oil and various non-edible oils to improve their solubility in alcohol for biodiesel production, Chemical Engineering Journal, Elsevier, Volume 237, 1 February 2014, Pages 1-7.
- Godlisten G. Kombe, Abraham K. Temu, Hassan M. Rajabu, Godwill D. Mrema, Jibrail Kansedo, Keat Teong Lee, Pre-treatment of high free fatty acids oils by chemical re- esterification for biodiesel production – A review, Advances in Chemical Engineering and Science, Scientific Research, Volume 3, No. 4, October 2013, Pages 242-247.
- Jibrail Kansedo, Keat Teong Lee, Process optimization and kinetic study for biodiesel production from non-edible sea mango (Cerbera odollam) oil using response surface methodology, Chemical Engineering Journal, Elsevier, Volume 214, 1 January 2013, Pages 157-164. 7.
- Jibrail Kansedo, Keat Teong Lee, Transesterification of palm oil and crude sea mango (Cerbera odollam) oil: The active role of simplified sulfated zirconia catalyst, Biomass and Bioenergy, Elsevier, Volume 40, May 2012, Pages 96-104.
- Kian Fei Yee, Jibrail Kansedo, Keat Teong Lee, Biodiesel production from palm oil via heterogeneous transesterification: Optimization study, Chemical Engineering Communications, Taylor & Francis, Volume 197, Issue 12, August 2010, Pages 1597-1611.
- Gerald Kafuku, Man Kee Lam, Jibrail Kansedo, Keat Teong Lee, Makame Mbarawa, Heterogeneous catalyzed biodiesel production from Moringa olifera oil, Fuel Processing Technology, Elsevier, Volume 91, Issue 11, November 2010, Pages 1525-1529.
- Gerald Kafuku, Man Kee Lam, Jibrail Kansedo, Keat Teong Lee, Makame Mbarawa (2010) Croton megalocarpus oil: A feasible non-edible oil source for biodiesel production, Bioresource Technology, Elsevier, Volume 101, Issue 18, September 2010, Pages 7000-7004.
- Jibrail Kansedo, Keat Teong Lee, Subhash Bhatia, Cerbera odollam (Sea mango) oil as a promising feedstock for biodiesel production, Fuel, Elsevier, Volume 88, Issue 6, June 2009, Pages 1148-1150.
- Jibrail Kansedo, Keat Teong Lee, Subhash Bhatia, Biodiesel production from palm oil via heterogeneous transesterification, Biomass and Bioenergy, Elsevier, Volume 33, Issue 2, February 2009, Pages 271-276.
- Jibrail Kansedo, Keat Teong Lee, Subhash Bhatia, Feasibility of palm oil as feedstock for biodiesel production via heterogeneous transesterification, Chemical Engineering Technology, Wiley Online Library, Volume 31, Issue 7, July 2008, Pages 993-999.
- Rafael Damar Arjanggi, Jibrail Kansedo, Dissolution of commodity waste plastics as additives to palm biodiesel, 8th International Forum of Industrial Bioprocessing (IBA-IFIBiop) 2019 on 3rd May 2019, Imperial Hotel, Miri Sarawak, Malaysia.
- Dilip Ilangovan Rethnam, Jibrail Kansedo, Comparative study on the effectiveness of various house plants and aquatic plants in removing ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and phosphorus compounds from wastewater, One Curtin International Postgraduate Conference (OCPC), 26-28th November 2018, Curtin University, Malaysia.
- Takudzwa Eugine Siringwani, Jibrail Kansedo, Optimization of Oil Palm Yield through Fertilization Technique, pH Control and Seedling Nurturing Practice: A Case Study, One Curtin International Postgraduate Conference (OCPC), 26-28th November 2018, Curtin University, Malaysia.
- Bryan Edwards Kelsey Lai, Wendy Pei Qin Ng, Jibrail Kansedo, Hon Loong Lam, A kinetics modelling of the growth rate of Amaranthus cruentus (red amaranth) microgreens in tropical climate, 21st Conference on Process Integration for Energy Saving and Pollution Reduction – PRES 2018, 25-29 August 2018, Prague, Czech Republic.
- Jibrail Kansedo, Keat Teong Lee, Non-catalytic hydrolysis of sea mango (Cerbera odollam) oil and various non-edible oils to improve their solubility in alcohol for biodiesel production, 2nd International Symposium of Green Chemistry (ISGC-2), La Rochelle, France, 21-24th May 2013. (Poster Presentation).
- Jibrail Kansedo, Keat Teong Lee, Process optimization for biodiesel production from non- edible sea mango (Cerbera odollam) oil, CHEMECA 2012, Museum of New Zealand, Te Papa Tongarewa, Wellington, New Zealand, 23-26th September 2012. (Oral Presentation).
- Jibrail Kansedo, Keat Teong Lee, Subhash Bhatia, Preparation of sulfated zirconia via a new simplified method and its catalytic performance in the transesterification of palm oil, Conference on Engineering and Technology Education, 2nd World Engineering Congress, Kuching, Sarawak, 2-5th August 2010. (Oral Presentation).
- Jibrail Kansedo, Keat Teong Lee, Subhash Bhatia, Kinetic model for the transesterification of palm oil using sulfated zirconia catalyst, Conference on Engineering and Technology Education, 2nd World Engineering Congress, Kuching, Sarawak, 2-5th August 2010. (Oral Presentation).
- Jibrail Kansedo, Keat Teong Lee, Subhash Bhatia, Production of biodiesel from palm oil using montmorillonite KSF as a heterogeneous catalyst, 1st Engineering Conference on Energy & Environment (ENCON 2007), Kuching Sarawak, 27-28th December 2007. (Oral Presentation).
- Jibrail Kansedo, Keat Teong Lee, Subhash Bhatia, Production of biodiesel from vegetable oil: A review, International Conference on Environment 2006 (ICENV 2006), Pulau Pinang, Malaysia, 13-15th November 2006. (Oral Presentation).
- Registered with International Association of Engineers (IAENG) since March 2017.
- Registered with Institution of Chemical Engineers (IChemE) (Associate Member) since February 2017.
- Registered with The Institution of Engineers Malaysia (IEM) (Graduate Engineer) October since 2015.
- Registered with Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM) (Graduate Engineer) since May 2009.