Dr.Kumar joined Curtin University of Technology, Sarawak in January 2009. He obtained his Ph.d in chemical engineering from the prestigious University Institute of Chemical Technology (UICT, formerly UDCT) in Mumbai, India. He worked under Prof.J.B.Joshi (Former Director, UICT) and studied the flow pattern developed by different impeller designs in mixed flow reactors. Over the years, he has been working in the area of mixing in stirred vessels, static mixing, process intensification and circulating fluidization. He has supervised six postgraduate students and twenty bachelors’ students and currently co – supervising two doctoral students.
- Post Doctoral Fellow, Ecole Polytechnique Montreal, Canada in a research Project funded by the Pulp and Paper Research Institute of Canada (PAPRICAN). Sep. 1998 – Sep. 2000.
- Ph.D. (Chemical Eng.), UICT, Mumbai, India, 1992 – 1997
- M.Tech (Chemical Eng.), NIT, Trichy, India. 1989 – 1991
- B.Tech (Chemical Eng.), CIT, Coimbatore, India. 1985 – 1989.
- Computer Science Certificate (Software), Carleton University, School of Computer Science, Ottawa, Canada. Apr 2001 – Aug 2001.
- CFD analysis of chemical processes and equipments
- Process Intensification studies with static mixers
- Nonofluid heat transfer
- Kumar, P. and Jagannathan, K, A CFD study of the effect of venturi geometry on high pressure wet gas metering, Accepted in International Journal of Oil, Gas and Coal Technology.
- Jagannathan Krishnanand Kumar Perumal, Removal of acid violet dye using mangosteen peel, , 7th Curtin University Technology, Science and Engineering (CUTSE 2012) Conference, Miri, Sarawak, Malaysia, 2012.
- Kumar Perumal Jagannathan Krishnan,Mixing Studies in Multifunctional Heat Exchangers-Reactors, 7th Curtin University Technology, Science and Engineering (CUTSE 2012) Conference, Miri, Sarawak, Malaysia, 2012.
- Rajamohan Ganesan, Kumar Perumal and Ramesh Narayanaswamy, Experimental Studies on Mixed Convection Heat Transfer in Square duct with Varying Inclination angles, 7th Curtin University Technology, Science and Engineering (CUTSE 2012) Conference, Miri, Sarawak, Malaysia, 2012.
- Biodiesel from pungam seed oil and its effects on engine performance with a computerized engine test rig, T.Mohan Raj, K.Murugu Mohan Kumar and Perumal Kumar, Pertanika J.Sci & Tech, 19 (1), 117-127, 2011
- A CFD study of low pressure wet gas metering using slotted orifice meters, P.Kumar and Michael Wong Ming Bing, Journal of Flow Measurement and Instrumentation, 22, 33-42, 2011
- Heat transfer enhancement with modified designs of twisted tape pipe inserts, P.Kumar and Low Yong Chin, Forwarded to International Journal of Chemical and Biological Engineering
- A CFD study of Gas-Liquid hydrodynamics in Kenics static mixer, Forwarded to International Journal of Chemical and Biological Engineering
- CFD modelling and mixing in stirred tanks, A.K.Sahu, P.Kumar, A.W.Patwardhan and J.B.Joshi, Chem.Eng.Sci, 54, 2285-2293, 1999.
Simulation of flow in stirred vessel with axial flow impeller: Zonal modelling and optimisation of parameters, A.K.Sahu, P.Kumar and J.B.Joshi, Ind.Eng.Chem.Res, 37, 2116-2130, 1998.
- LDA measurements and CFD Simulations of flow generated by impellers in mechanically agitated reactors, J.B.Joshi, A.K.Sahu and P.Kumar, Sadhana, Proceedings of the Indian Academy of Sciences, 23 (Parts 5 & 6), 505-539, 1998.
LDA measurements of flow generated by multiple pitched blade turbine impellers, V.P.Mishra, P.Kumar and J.B.Joshi, ICheme symposium series no: 136, 465, 1993.
- Flow generated by a disc turbine: Effect of addition of a drag reducing polymer, V.P.Mishra, P.Kumar and J.B.Joshi Chemical Engg J., 71, 11-21, 1998.
- An Experimental Study on Mixed Convection Heat Transfer for Thermally Developing Flow in Horizontal Ducts with Radiation Effects, Rajamohan Ganesan, Ramesh Narayanaswamy, Alexander Gorin and Kumar Perumal, ASME/JSME 8th Thermal Engineering Joint Conference held in Honolulu, Hawaii, USA from March 13-17, 2011.
- Computational Fluid Dynamics of Mixing in Aerated Bioreactors, L.W.T.Emily, P.Kumar and Y.Samyudia, presented in ICBEC 2010, held in Hong Kong, China
- A CFD Study of The Effect of Venturi Geometry on Wet Gas Metering, P.Kumar, presented in CHEMECA 2010 held at Adelaide, Australia
Heat Transfer Intensification in the Laminar Regime with Modified designs of Twisted tape Inserts – A CFD study P.Kumar and Rajamohan Ganesan, presented in CUTSE 09, held at Curtin University of Technology, Miri, Sarawak, Malaysia
- CFD modeling of Cross flow membrane filtration – Integration of Filtration Model and Fluid Transport Model E.H.Khor, P.Kumar and Y. Samyudia, presented in CUTSE 09 held at Curtin University of Technology, Miri, Sarawak, Malaysia
- CFD approach for nonideally mixed Bioreactor modelling, L.W.T.Emily, P.Kumar and Y.Samyudia, presented in CUTSE 09, held at Curtin University of Technology, Miri, Sarawak, Malaysia
- Analysis of Thermal energy extraction from solar flat plate collector, Rajamohan Ganesan and P.Kumar, presented in CUTSE 09, held at Curtin University of Technology, Miri, Sarawak, Malaysia
- Hydrodynamic studies of gas-liquid flow in a Kenics static mixer using CFD, Rajarshi Chakraborti, Priodarshi Chaudhury, Ronack Somani, G.S.Nirmala and P.Kumar, presented in CHEMCON – 2008 held at Chandigarh
- CFD analysis of heat transfer to laminar non-Newtonian pipe flow with and without twisted tape inserts, Vinod, B., Sathya, T., and Kumar.P presented in the Indian Chemical Engineering Congress, CHEMCON-2007 held at Kolkata in December, 2007
- CFD modeling of hydrodynamics in a liquid solid circulating fluidized bed, Perarasu, V.T. and Kumar, P. 734 – 740, Proceedings of the 8th International conference on circulating fluidized beds held from May 10 – 13, 2005 in China
- Slurry Make-down in a Coaxial Mixer, Tanguy, P. and Kumar.P Mixing XVIII, North American Mixing Forum (2001) held at Pocono Manor, Pennsylvania, USA.
- CFD modelling and mixing in stirred tanks, A.K.Sahu, P.Kumar, A.W.Patwardhan and J.B.Joshi, ISCRE 15 (1998), held at Newport Beach, CA, USA.
- Computational fluid dynamics and Design, J.B.Joshi, R.B.Desai, A.K.Sahu, P.Kumar, D.V.Phanikumar, A.W.Patwardhan, S.S.Thakre, Ch.V.Prasad and V.Raju, International conference on mixing and crystallisation held in Malaysia, 1998.
- LDA measurements and CFD simulations of flow generated by impellers in mechanically agitated reactors, A.K.Sahu, P.Kumar and J.B.Joshi, Proceedings of the 7th Asian congress of fluid mechanics (1997), IIT Madras, India.
- Reynolds Stress Measurements in Stirred Reactors, P.Kumar, A.K.Sahu and J.B.Joshi, Proceedings of the International conference on Advances in Chemical Engineering (ICAChE-96), IIT Madras, India.
Research Resource Funding
- CSRF – “Rheological and Forced convective heat transfer characteristics of some metal oxide nanofluids” – Principal Investigator
- CSCR – “Improved method for Green house gas capture using solvent systems” – Co Investigator
- CSTIP – “Enhancing undergraduate transport phenomena teaching and learning through combined inductive and deductive approaches” – Co Investigator
- Associate member, Institution of chemical Engineers (IChemE, UK)
- Member Institution of Chemical Engineers, India (MIIChE)
- Member, Indian Society for Technical Education (MISTE)