Dr. Tan Yie Hua
Dr. Tan Yie Hua
PhD, B.Eng. (Hons.), CEng, MIChemE, FHEA
Department of Civil and Construction Engineering
Telephone: +60 85 630 100 Ext: 2434
Location: Skylark 3 Room 451
- PhD in Chemical Engineering, Universiti Malaysia Sarawak (UNIMAS)
- BEng (Hons) in Chemical Engineering, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM)
- Silver Awards Innovation and Technology Expo 2019 (InTEX19)
- UNIMAS Zamalah Postgraduate Scholarship (2014-2017)
- UNIMAS Dana Pelajar Phd Grant Award (2014-2017)
- 1st runner-up in Schlumberger Oil Rig Model Building Competition 2010
- Dean List Awards (2008-2012)
- Biofuel conversion technology
- Process optimization and modelling
- Catalysis development
- Biomass utilization
- Customer Project Engineer (2 years), X-FAB Sarawak
- Part Time Academic Staff (2 years), Swinburne Sarawak
- Research Assistant (3 years), Universiti Malaysia Sarawak (UNIMAS)
- Chartered Member, Institution of Chemical Engineers (CEng MIChemE)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Member, Engineers Australia (EA)
- Graduate Engineer, Board of Engineer Malaysia (BEM)
- Celine Ming Hui Goh, Yie Hua Tan, NM Mubarak, Jibrail Kansedo, Umer Rashid, Mohammad Khalid, Rashmi Walvekar. 2021. Synthesis of magnetic basic palm kernel shell catalyst for biodiesel production and characterisation and optimisation by Taguchi method. Applied Nanoscience, 1-13.
- Mohd Nurfirdaus Bin Mohiddin, Yie Hua Tan, Yee Xuan Seow, Jibrail Kansedo, NM Mubarak, Mohammad Omar Abdullah, Yen San Chan, Mohammad Khalid. 2021. Evaluation on feedstock, technologies, catalyst and reactor for sustainable biodiesel production: A review. Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, 98, 60-81.
- Monnie John, Mohammad Omar Abdullah, Yie Hua Tan, Cirilo Nolasco-Hipólito. 2021. Techno-economical and energy analysis of sunflower oil biodiesel synthesis assisted with waste ginger leaves derived catalysts. Renewable Energy 168, 815-828.
- Ahsan Mehmood, Fahad Saleem Ahmed Khan, Nabisab Mujawar Mubarak, Yie Hua Tan, Rama Rao Karri, Mohammad Khalid, Rashmi Walvekar, Ezzat Chan Abdullah, Sabzoi Nizamuddin, Shaukat Ali Mazari. 2021. Magnetic nanocomposites for sustainable water purification—a comprehensive review. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 1-26.
- Fahad Saleem Ahmed Khan, Nabisab Mujawar Mubarak, Yie Hua Tan, Mohammad Khalid, Rama Rao Karri, Rashmi Walvekar, Ezzat Chan Abdullah, Sabzoi Nizamuddin, Shaukat Ali Mazari. 2021. A comprehensive review on magnetic carbon nanotubes and carbon nanotube-based buckypaper-heavy metal and dyes removal. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 125375.
- Ray Vern Quah, Yie Hua Tan, NM Mubarak, Jibrail Kansedo, Mohammad Khalid, EC Abdullah, Mohammad Omar Abdullah. 2020. Magnetic biochar derived from waste palm kernel shell for biodiesel production via sulfonation. Waste Management 118, 626-636.
- Ijlal Raheem, Mohd Nurfirdaus Bin Mohiddin, Yie Hua Tan, Jibrail Kansedo, Nabisab Mujawar Mubarak, Mohammad Omar Abdullah, Mohd Lokman Ibrahim. 2020. A Review on Influence of Reactor Technologies and Kinetic Studies for Biodiesel Application. Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry 91, 54-68.
- Song Yuan Chua, Loshinie A/P Periasamy, Celine Ming Hui Goh, Yie Hua Tan, Nabisab Mujawar Mubarak, Jibrail Kansedo, Mohammad Khalid, Rashmi Walvekar, E.C. Abdullah. 2020. Biodiesel Synthesis using Natural Solid Catalyst Derived from Biomass Waste – A Review. Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry 81, 41-60.
- Afifah Aunie, Lokman Ibrahim Mohd, Matmin Juan, Firdaus Kassim Muhd, Sufri Mastuli Mohd, Hin Taufiq-Yap Yun, Akmar Norshahidatul, Islam Aminul, Yie Hua Tan, Haida Noor. 2020. SiO2-rich sugar cane bagasse ash catalyst for transesterification of palm oil. BioEnergy Research 13 (3), 986-997.
- Chee Bing Sia, Jibrail Kansedo, Yie Hua Tan, Keat Teong Lee. 2020. Evaluation on biodiesel cold flow properties, oxidative stability and enhancement strategies: A review, Biocatalysis and Agricultural Biotechnology 24, 101514.
- Salma Izati Sinar Mashuri, Mohd Lokman Ibrahim, Muhd Firdaus Kasim, Mohd Sufri Mastuli, Umer Rashid, Abdul Halim Abdullah, Aminul Islam, Nurul Asikin Mijan, Yie Hua Tan, Nasar Mansir, Noor Haida Mohd Kaus, Taufiq-Yap Yun Hin. 2020. Photocatalysis for Organic Wastewater Treatment: From the Basis to Current Challenges for Society. Catalysts 10 (11), 1260.
- Fahad Saleem Ahmed Khan, Nabisab Mujawar Mubarak, Yie Hua Tan, Rama Rao Karri, Mohammad Khalid, Rashmi Walvekar, Ezzat Chan Abdullah, Shaukat Ali Mazari, Sabzoi Nizamuddin. 2020. Magnetic nanoparticles incorporation into different substrates for dyes and heavy metals removal—A Review. Environmental Science and Pollution Research 27, 43526–43541.
- Cirilo Nolasco Hipolito, Fabiola Hernández-Sánchez, Martha Elena Aguilera-Morales, José Luis Lorenzo-Manzanarez, Leticia Guadalupe Navarro-Moreno, Yie Hua Tan. 2020. The Effect of Different Cooking Methods on The Nutritional Composition f Tilapia (Oreochromis Sp.). 2020. Journal of Applied Science & Process Engineering 7 (1), Pages 489-499.
- Zheng Lit Chung, Yie Hua Tan, Yen San Chan, Jibrail Kansedo, N.M. Mubarak, Mostafa Ghasemi, Mohammad Omar Abdullah. 2019. Life cycle assessment of waste cooking oil for biodiesel production using waste chicken eggshell derived CaO as catalyst via transesterification. Biocatalysis and Agricultural Biotechnology 21, 101317.
- Yie Hua Tan, Mohammad Omar Abdullah, Jibrail Kansedo, Nabisab Mujawar Mubarak, Yen San Chan. 2019. Biodiesel Production from Used Cooking Oil using Green Solid Catalyst Derived from Calcined Fusion Waste Chicken and Fish Bones. Renewable energy 139, 696-706.
- Ray Vern Quah, Yie Hua Tan, N.M. Mubarak, Mohammad Khalid, E.C. Abdullah, Cirilo Nolasco-Hipolito. 2019. An overview of biodiesel production using recyclable biomass and non-biomass derived magnetic catalysts. Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering 7 (4), 103219.
- Jasmine Si Jie Ling, Yie Hua Tan, Nabisab Mujawar Mubarak, Jibrail Kansedo, Agus Saptoro, Cirilo Nolasco-Hipolito. 2019. A review of heterogeneous calcium oxide based catalyst from waste for biodiesel synthesis. SN Applied Sciences 1 (8), 810.
- Yie Hua Tan, Mohammad Omar Abdullah, Jibrail Kansedo, Agus Saptoro, Cirilo Nolasco Hipolito. 2018. Optimization of Ostrich Eggshell Catalyst in Transesterification Using Waste Cooking Oil via Response Surface Methodology. Journal of Applied Science & Process Engineering 5 (2), 277-285.
- Yie Hua Tan, Mohammad Omar Abdullah, Cirilo Nolasco-Hipolito, Nur Syuhada Ahmad Zauzi. 2017. Application of RSM and Taguchi methods for optimizing the transesterification of waste cooking oil catalyzed by solid ostrich and chicken-eggshell derived CaO. Renewable Energy 114, 437-447.
- Jor Jee Wong, Mohammad Omar Abdullah, Rubiyah Baini, Yie Hua Tan. 2017. Performance monitoring: A study on ISO 14001 certified power plant in Malaysia. Journal of Cleaner Production 147, 165-174.
- Yie Hua Tan, Mohammad Omar Abdullah, Cirilo Nolasco-Hipolito, Nur Syuhada Ahmad Zauzi, Georgie Wong Abdullah. 2017. Engine performance and emissions characteristics of a diesel engine fueled with diesel-biodiesel-bioethanol emulsions. Energy Conversion and Management 132, 54-64.
- Yie Hua Tan, Mohammad Omar Abdullah, Cirilo Nolasco-Hipolito. 2016. Comparison of Biodiesel Production between Homogeneous and Heterogeneous Base Catalysts. Applied Mechanics and Materials 833, 71-77.
- Yie Hua Tan, Mohammad Omar Abdullah, Cirilo Nolasco-Hipolito. 2015. The potential of waste cooking oil-based biodiesel using heterogeneous catalyst derived from various calcined eggshells coupled with an emulsification technique: A review on the emission reduction and engine performance. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 47, 589-603.
- Yie Hua Tan, Mohammad Omar Abdullah, Cirilo Nolasco-Hipolito, Yun Hin Taufiq-Yap. 2015. Waste ostrich- and chicken-eggshells as heterogeneous base catalyst for biodiesel production from used cooking oil: Catalyst characterization and biodiesel yield performance. Applied Energy 160, 58-70.
- Yu Herng Foo, Yie Hua Tan, Nabisab Mujawar Mubarak, Jibrail Kansedo, Inn Shi Tan, Henry Chee Yew Foo, Mohd Lokman Ibrahim. A Review on Biodiesel Synthesis using Iron Doped Catalyst. 2020. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering 943 (1), 012026.
- Chung Ye Wong, Inn Shi Tan, Henry Chee Yew Foo, Daniel Kuok Ho Tang, Yie Hua Tan, Yin Fong Yeong, Man Kee Lam. Monolayer grafting of APTES modified graphene oxide on silica coated magnetite: Synthesis, characterization and application in heavy oil removal. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering 943 (1), 012023.
- Cirilo Nolasco-Hipolito, Octavio Carvajal-Zarrabal, Eivo Kelvin, Yie Hua Tan, Mizuno Kohei, Stanley Anthony Nyoel, Esaki Shoji, Hamady Dieng, Kopli Bujang. Scaling up of Lactic Acid Fermentation using Enterococcus faecalis. 2019. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 495(1), 012049.
- Yie Hua Tan, Siti Masrinda Tasirin, Agus Saptoro, Cirilo Nolasco-Hipolito. Drying Characteristics of Oil Palm Frond Particles in a Spouted Bed Dryer. 2019. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 495(1), 012089.
- Yie Hua Tan, Mohammad Omar Abdullah, Cirilo Nolasco-Hipolito. Biodiesel Production using Calcium Oxide as Catalyst: A Review. Proceedings of the International Engineering Conference (ENCON 2014). doi: 10.3850/978-981-09-4587-9_P22.
- Principal Investigator – Understanding of Mechanisms Affecting the Effectiveness of Biochar Catalyst for Biodiesel Production, RM 133 800, Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (FRGS), Ministry of Education Malaysia, 2019 – ongoing.
- Principal Investigator – Employing Gamified E-Quiz to Online Discussion Learning, RM2 000, Curtin Malaysia Teaching Innovation Project (CMTIP) 2020 – ongoing.
- Co-Investigator – Hydrophobic Modified Honeycomb Tubular Biochar with Enhanced Adsorption Capability of Volatile Organic Compounds: Characterisation and Kinetics Study, RM 84 200, Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (FRGS), Ministry of Education Malaysia, 2020 – ongoing.
- Co-Investigator – Pilot Plant Scale Supercritical CO2 Extraction of Natural Antioxidant, RM 50, 000, Sarawak Research Development Council (SRDC), 2020 – ongoing.
- Co-Investigator – Biodiesel and Biodiesel-Emulsion Production using Heterogeneous Catalyst derived from Ostrich Eggshells coupled with an Emulsion Technique, RM 116 500, Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (FRGS), Ministry of Education Malaysia, 2016. Completed 2019.
- Principal Investigator – Production and Testing of Emulsified Biodiesel from Waste Cooking Oil Catalysed by Egg Based Cao Heterogeneous Catalyst in a Diesel Generator, RM 63,000, Internal UNIMAS PhD Dana DPP Fund, 2014. Completed 2017.