Tan Yie Hua
Dr. Tan Yie Hua
Ph.D, B.Eng. (Hons.), AMIChemE
Location: Skylark 3 Room 451
Telephone: +60 85 630 100 Ext: 2434
Fax: +60 85 630 254
Dr. Tan is a lecturer in the Department of Chemical Engineering at Curtin University, Sarawak Campus. She obtained her Bachelor degree in Chemical Engineering at Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM). She worked as a customer project engineer in X-FAB Sarawak for two years before pursuing her postgraduate studies in Chemical Engineering at UNIMAS.
- PhD in Chemical Engineering, Universiti Malaysia Sarawak (UNIMAS)
- BEng (Hons) in Chemical Engineering, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM)
- Customer Project Engineer (2 years), X-FAB Sarawak
- Part Time Academic Staff (2 years), Swinburne Sarawak
- Research Assistant (3 years), Universiti Malaysia Sarawak (UNIMAS)
- Biofuel conversion technology
- Process optimization and modelling
- Catalysis development
- Biomass utilization
- Chee Bing Sia, Jibrail Kansedo, Yie Hua Tan, Keat Teong Lee. Evaluation on biodiesel cold flow properties, oxidative stability and enhancement strategies: A review, Biocatalysis and Agricultural Biotechnology, Volume 24, (March 2020), 101514.
- Song Yuan Chua, Loshinie A/P Periasamy, Celine Ming Hui Goh, Yie Hua Tan, Nabisab Mujawar Mubarak, Jibrail Kansedo, Mohammad Khalid, Rashmi Walvekar, E.C. Abdullah. Biodiesel Synthesis using Natural Solid Catalyst Derived from Biomass Waste – A Review. Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry. Volume 81, (January 2020), Pages 41-60.
- Zheng Lit Chung, Yie Hua Tan, Yen San Chan, Jibrail Kansedo, N.M. Mubarak, Mostafa Ghasemi, Mohammad Omar Abdullah. Life cycle assessment of waste cooking oil for biodiesel production using waste chicken eggshell derived CaO as catalyst via transesterification. Biocatalysis and Agricultural Biotechnology, Volume 21, (September 2019), 101317.
- Yie Hua Tan, Mohammad Omar Abdullah, Jibrail Kansedo, Nabisab Mujawar Mubarak, Yen San Chan. Biodiesel Production from Used Cooking Oil using Green Solid Catalyst Derived from Calcined Fusion Waste Chicken and Fish Bones. 2019. Renewable Energy, Volume 139, (August 2019), Pages 696-706.
- Ray Vern Quah, Yie Hua Tan, N.M. Mubarak, Mohammad Khalid, E.C. Abdullah, Cirilo Nolasco-Hipolito. An overview of biodiesel production using recyclable biomass and non-biomass derived magnetic catalysts. 2019. Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, Volume 7, Issue 4, (August 2019), 103219.
- Jasmine Si Jie Ling, Yie Hua Tan, Nabisab Mujawar Mubarak, Jibrail Kansedo, Agus Saptoro, Cirilo Nolasco-Hipolito. A review of heterogeneous calcium oxide based catalyst from waste for biodiesel synthesis. 2019. SN Applied Sciences, 1 (8), page 810.
- Yie Hua Tan, Mohammad Omar Abdullah, Jibrail Kansedo, Agus Saptoro, Cirilo Nolasco Hipolito. Optimization of Ostrich Eggshell Catalyst in Transesterification Using Waste Cooking Oil via Response Surface Methodology. Journal of Applied Science & Process Engineering, Volume 5 No. 2 (2018), Pages 277-285.
- Yie Hua Tan, Mohammad Omar Abdullah, Cirilo Nolasco-Hipolito, Nur Syuhada Ahmad Zauzi. Application of RSM and Taguchi methods for optimizing the transesterification of waste cooking oil catalyzed by solid ostrich and chicken-eggshell derived CaO. Renewable Energy, Volume 114, Part B (December 2017), Pages 437-447.
- Jor Jee Wong, Mohammad Omar Abdullah, Rubiyah Baini, Yie Hua Tan. Performance monitoring: A study on ISO 14001 certified power plant in Malaysia, Journal of Cleaner Production, Volume 147, (March 2017), Pages 165-174.
- Yie Hua Tan, Mohammad Omar Abdullah, Cirilo Nolasco-Hipolito, Nur Syuhada Ahmad Zauzi, Georgie Wong Abdullah. Engine performance and emissions characteristics of a diesel engine fueled with diesel-biodiesel-bioethanol emulsions. Energy Conversion and Management, Volume 132, (January 2017), Pages 54–64.
- Yie Hua Tan, Mohammad Omar Abdullah, Cirilo Nolasco-Hipolito. Comparison of Biodiesel Production between Homogeneous and Heterogeneous Base Catalysts. Innovative Engineering and Technology, Volume 833. April 2016. doi: 10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.833.71
- Yie Hua Tan, Mohammad Omar Abdullah, Cirilo Nolasco-Hipolito. The potential of waste cooking oil-based biodiesel using heterogeneous catalyst derived from various calcined eggshells coupled with an emulsification technique: A review on the emission reduction and engine performance, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Volume 47 (July 2015), Pages 589–603.
- Yie Hua Tan, Mohammad Omar Abdullah, Cirilo Nolasco-Hipolito, Yun Hin Taufiq-Yap. Waste ostrich- and chicken-eggshells as heterogeneous base catalyst for biodiesel production from used cooking oil: Catalyst characterization and biodiesel yield performance. Applied Energy, Volume 160 (December 2015), Pages 58–70.
- Cirilo Nolasco-Hipolito, Octavio Carvajal-Zarrabal, Eivo Kelvin, Yie Hua Tan, Mizuno Kohei, Stanley Anthony Nyoel, Esaki Shoji, Hamady Dieng, Kopli Bujang. Scaling up of Lactic Acid Fermentation using Enterococcus faecalis. 2019. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 495(1), 012049.
- Yie Hua Tan, Siti Masrinda Tasirin, Agus Saptoro, Cirilo Nolasco-Hipolito. Drying Characteristics of Oil Palm Frond Particles in a Spouted Bed Dryer. 2019. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 495(1), 012089.
- Yie Hua Tan, Mohammad Omar Abdullah, Cirilo Nolasco-Hipolito. Biodiesel Production using Calcium Oxide as Catalyst: A Review. Proceedings of the International Engineering Conference (ENCON 2014). doi: 10.3850/978-981-09-4587-9_P22.
- Mohammad Omar Abdullah, Cirilo Nolasco Hipolito, Nur Syuhada Bt Ahmad Zauzi, Yie Hua Tan. A Study of Biodiesel from Waste Cooking Oil Catalyzed by Sarawak Novel Ostrich-Eggshell Based Catalyst. FENG Research Bulletin 2016, (2016), Pages 13.
- Biodiesel catalyst (2018), PI2018003043
- Biodiesel reactor (2019), PI2019007916
- Silver Awards Innovation and Technology Expo 2019 (InTEX19)
- UNIMAS Zamalah Postgraduate Scholarship (2014-2017)
- UNIMAS Dana Pelajar Phd Grant Award (2014-2017)
- 1st runner-up in Schlumberger Oil Rig Model Building Competition 2010
- Dean List Awards (2008-2012)
- Principal Investigator – Understanding of Mechanisms Affecting the Effectiveness of Biochar Catalyst for Biodiesel Production, RM 133 800, Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (FRGS), Ministry of Education Malaysia, 2019 – ongoing.
- Co-Investigator – Pilot Plant Scale Supercritical CO2 Extraction of Natural Antioxidant, RM 50, 000, Sarawak Research Development Council (SRDC), 2020
- Co-Investigator – Biodiesel and Biodiesel-Emulsion Production using Heterogeneous Catalyst derived from Ostrich Eggshells coupled with an Emulsion Technique, RM 116 500, Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (FRGS), Ministry of Education Malaysia, 2016.
- Principal Investigator – Production and Testing of Emulsified Biodiesel from Waste Cooking Oil Catalysed by Egg Based Cao Heterogeneous Catalyst in a Diesel Generator, RM 63,000, Internal UNIMAS PhD Dana DPP Fund, 2014.
- Guest Editor for SN Applied Sciences, Springer Nature
- Associate Member, Institution of Chemical Engineers (IChemE)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Member, Engineers Australia (EA)
- Graduate Engineer, Board of Engineer Malaysia (BEM)