Yam Ke San
Dr. Yam Ke Sen
PhD, MSc (CFD), BSc (Mech), MIEM
Program Coordinator, Department of Mechanical Engineering
Lecturer | Department of Mechanical Engineering | Faculty of Engineering and Science
Contact Details Telephone: +60 85 630100 Extn: 2427 | Location: Skylark (SK3)-355 | Email: email@example.com
Research Profiles: Google Scholar
Research Interests: Thermo-Fluids, Multiphase Flows, Computational Fluid Dynamics, Heat Transfer, Sustainable Energy
Dr Yam Ke San joined Curtin University Malaysia as a lecturer in Mechanical Engineering in October 2015. He previously has worked as a researcher at the Department of Oil and Gas Engineering at Cranfield University, UK. He obtained his Bachelor degree in Nottingham University and his MSc and PhD from Leeds University, UK.
- Lecturer, Curtin University Malaysia (October 2015 to current)
- Research Fellow, Cranfield University, UK (September, 2013 to September, 2015)
- Graduate Member, Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM)
- Graduate Member, Institute of Engineers Malaysia (IEM)
Additional Professional Activities
- Chair, The International Conference on Materials Technology and Energy 2019
- Vice-chair, The International Conference on Materials Technology and Energy 2017
- Committee member of IEM Young Engineer Section Miri Branch, term 2016/17, 2017/18, 2018/2019.
Fundamental of Thermodynamics (2016 – 2019, Semester 2)
Heat Transfer and Applied Thermodynamics (2016, Semester 1)
Engineering Mechanics (2016 – 2018, Semester 1 & 2)
Engineering Foundation Design & Processes (2018 – 2019, Semester 1 & 2)
Heat Transfer (2017 – 2019, Semester 1)
Fundamental Strength of Materials (2018 – 2019, Semester 1)
Mechanical Engineering Research Project Part 1 & 2 (2016 – 2018, Semester 1 & 2)
- 10 UG (Completed), 8 UG (Ongoing)
Yam, K., Bourdillon, A., Sawko R., Thompson, C.P.. Modelling Solidification of Binary Mixtures in Cavity and Channel Flows. Journal of Computational Thermal Sciences.
Yam, K., Siong, R.T.F. and Chen, V.L.C., 2018. Numerical Study on Erosion of a Pipe Bend with a Vortex Chamber. Particulate Science and Technology.
K Yam, AD Burns, DB Ingham, and WD McCaffrey, 2013. Influence of lift force on the settling velocities of rotating particles in two-dimensional shear flow. Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, 139(12):1277– 1285.
K Yam, William D McCaffrey, Derek B Ingham, and Alan D Burns, 2011. Cfd modelling of selected laboratory turbidity currents. Journal of Hydraulic Research, 49(5):657–666.
K Yam, SD Harris, DB Ingham, and I Pop, 2009. Boundary-layer flow of Reiner–Philippoff fluids last a stretching wedge. International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, 44(10):1056–1062.
Yam K.S., Ismail, R. W. B. R., Lee, V. C. C., and Jung, H. C. 2018. Performance Comparison of Organic Rankine Cycle and Vapour Compression Cycle Hybrid Cooling-Heating System using Subcritical or Supercritical Working Fluid. In MATEC Web of Conferences (Vol. 202, p. 02008). EDP Sciences.
Yam K.S., Chiew, G., Howe, C., Lee, V. C. C., and Roy, S. 2018. Analysis on Rolling Damping of a Conventional Boat fitted with T-shaped Bilge Keels. In MATEC Web of Conferences (Vol. 202, p. 02007). EDP Sciences.
Lee, V.C.C. and Yam, K.S., 2017, August. Introduction of OpenStudio® for Work Integrated Learning: Case Study on Building Energy Modelling. In Asian Simulation Conference (pp. 349-358). Springer, Singapore.
Yam, K.S., Yem, W.L. and Lee, V.C.C., 2017. Evaluation of the Passive Cooling Strategies for Pei Min Sport Complex. In IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering (Vol. 217, No. 1, p. 012025). IOP Publishing.
Research Grants and Consultancy Projects
- Fundamental of Research Grant Scheme (FRGS) RM100,000
Title: “Flow Physics Modelling and Design Optimization of an Exhaust-air Energy Extractor in the Cooling Tower Applications”
- Demand-Driven Innovation Project By Public-Private Research Network (PPRN) RM31,200
Title: “Microwave Kiln for Beads Production”
1. Chang Wei Kang, A Simulation Investigation On How To Reduce The Fuel Consumption Of A Prototype Car For Shell Eco-marathon Competition
2. Stephanie Ita, Cfd Simulation On Pipe Erosion Reduction On 90 Degree Bend.
3. Dexter Anthony, Analysis of The Effects of Crossflow Velocity on Underwater Bubble Swarms Using a CFD-Population Balance Coupled Model
4. Muhammad Azlan, The Feasibility of Electrical Energy Generation Using Tidal Lagoon Method with Double- Generating Scheme in the Malaysian Coast
5. Mohammad Syafiq, Comparison on Electricity Generation Using Renewable Energy Source in Malaysia
6. Churchill Ung, CFD Study in Heat Transfer Enhancement of Fin-and-Tube Heat Exchanger
7. Raja Wahiduzzaman, Performance Assessment of Vapour Compression Cycle and Organic Rankine Cycle Hybrid Cooling-Heating and Power Generation System using Subcritical and Supercritical Refrigerant
8. Gordon Chiew, Analysis On Rolling Damping Of A Conventional Boat Fitted With T-shaped Bilge Keels
9. Lau Sit Yew, Spreading And Coalescence Of Droplets For Optical Bonding.
10. Pui Jing Yien, Review of steam rankine cycle with sarawak palm oil biomass source for power generation.
11. Robert Hii, Enhancing gas-solid fluidized bed reactor using inclined swirling distributor: effect of slot’s angle of inclination.
12. Chieng Khai Yew, Retrofit Design to Improve Mixing in a Circulating Fluidized Bed.
13. Haniff Ahmad Shah, Numerical analysis of various wavy fin and tube heat exchanger with vortex generator
14. Jason Lo, Computational Study of Indoor Air Flow: A Squash Court Case Study.
15. Yem Weng Li, Computational study of indoor air temperature: A squash court case study.
16. Ricky Thien, CFD Analysis on Erosion of a 90 degree Pipe Bend with a Vortex Chamber.
17. Johnson Phua, Numerical study on Drag Reduction of Simplified Body Using Synthetic Jet.
18. Chiew Lun Khiong, Cfd analysis on roll damping of a conventional boat with t-shaped bilge keels.
19. Abang Hazwan, Heat transfer performance of new fin geometries of plate and tube heat exchanger.