Dr. Sukanta Roy
Head of Department, Mechanical Engineering
PhD (Fluid & Thermal Eng, IIT Guwahati), MTech (Thermal Eng), BEng (Mech Eng)
Erasmus Mundus PDF (LHEEA/ECN, France), PDF (IRPHE/AMU, France)
MASME, MIE CEng (I), SFHEA (UK)
Senior Lecturer | Department of Mechanical Engineering | Faculty of Engineering and Science
Contact Details Telephone: +60 85 443939 Extn: 2505 | Location: Skylark (SK3)-454 | Email: email@example.com
Research Interests: Experimental and Computational Fluid Dynamics, Wind Turbine Aerodynamics and Hydro-kinetic Turbines, Turbo-machinery, Renewable Energy, Heat Transfer Applications
- Head of Department, Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering and Science, Curtin University Malaysia (03/2019 – Till date)
- Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Engineering and Science, Curtin University Malaysia (12/2019 – Till date)
- Lecturer, Faculty of Engineering and Science, Curtin University Malaysia (09/2017 – 11/2019)
- Post-Doctoral Fellow, IRPHE, Aix Marseille University, France (11/2015 – 06/2017)
- Post-Doctoral Fellow, LHEEA, Ecole Centrale de Nantes, France (09/2014 – 10/2015)
- Lecturer, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Tripura Institute of Technology, India (08/2007 – 08/2008)
Fellowships, Awards, and Achievements
- Senior Fellow, Advance HE, UK (2021)
- Curtin Malaysia Learning and Teaching Excellence Award 2020
- Curtin Nominee in the 2020 Australian Awards for University Teaching (AAUT)
- Best Paper Award in ISET India 2020 (2 awards)
- Curtin Citation Award for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning 2019
- Fellow, Advance HE, UK (2019)
- Golden Globe Tigers Award 2019 for Educational Leadership (2019)
- Erasmus Mundus INTERWEAVE Fellowship from European Commission (09/2014 – 06/2015)
- “Young Scientist International Travel Support” from Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of India (11/2013)
- PhD Scholarship from Ministry of HRD, Govt. of India (07/2010 – 07/2014)
- Institute Topper of National Institute of Technology, Silchar, India with CPI 10/10 (2008 – 2010)
- BE First class with Distinction from National Institute of Technology, Agartala, India (2007)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), since 2011
- The Institute of Engineers (India), since 2007
- Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM), since 2019
- Advance Higher Education (HEA), since 2019
Research Grants/Consultancy Projects/Teaching & Learning Grants
Flow Physics Modelling and Design Optimization of an Exhaust-air Energy Extractor in the Cooling Tower Applications; FRGS Research Grant 2018, Total Amount: RM 100,000.00; Funded by Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE), Govt. of Malaysia. Role: Principal Investigator. Ongoing (2019-2021).
- Design and Optimization of a Vertical Axis Wind Turbine Arm for Offshore Applications. Curtin Malaysia Higher Degree Research Grant 2019, Total Amount: RM 75,600.00; Funded by Curtin University Malaysia. Role: Principal Investigator. Ongoing (2019-2022).
First-Year Students’ Active Learning Experiences through Engagement with Indigenous Community-based Projects; Curtin Malaysia Teaching Innovation Project (CMTIP) Grant 2019, Total Amount: RM 2,000.00; Funded by Curtin University Malaysia. Role: Principal Investigator. Ongoing (2020-2021).
- Mechanistic Modelling of Ultrasound-assisted Pharmaceutical Crystallization with and without Anti-Solvent. Curtin Malaysia Higher Degree Research Grant 2021, Total Amount: RM 75,600.00; Funded by Curtin University Malaysia. Role: Principal Investigator. Ongoing (2021-2023).
S. Roy, R. Das, and U.K. Saha, 2018, An Inverse method for optimization of geometric parameters of a Savonious-style wind turbine. Energy Conversion and Management, Vol 155, pp. 116–127 (Elsevier). doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2017.10.088; Impact factor: 8.208 (Q1)
- A. Ducoin, M.S. Shadloo and S. Roy, 2017, Direct numerical simulation of flow instabilities over Savonius style wind turbine blades. Renewable Energy, Vol 105,pp. 374 –385 (Elsevier). doi:10.1016/j.renene.2016.12.072; Impact factor: 6.274 (Q1)
- S. Roy and A. Ducoin, 2016, Unsteady analysis on the instantaneous forces and moment arms acting on a novel Savonius-style wind turbine. Energy Conversion and Management,Vol 121,pp. 281–296 (Elsevier). doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2016.05.044; Impact factor: 8.208 (Q1)
- S. Roy and U.K. Saha, 2015, Wind tunnel experiments of a newly developed two-bladed Savonius-style wind turbine. Applied Energy, Vol 137, pp. 117–125 (Elsevier). doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2014.10.022; Impact factor: 8.848 (Q1)
- S. Roy and U.K. Saha, 2014, An adapted blockage factor correlation approach in wind tunnel experiments of a Savonius-style wind turbine. Energy Conversion and Management, Vol 86, pp. 418–427 (Elsevier). doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2014.05.039;Impact factor: 8.208 (Q1)
- S. Roy and U.K. Saha, 2013, Review on the numerical investigations into the design and development of Savonius wind rotors. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol 24, pp. 73–83 (Elsevier). doi:10.1016/j.rser.2013.03.060; Impact factor: 12.110 (Q1)
S. Roy and U.K. Saha, 2013, Review of experimental investigations into the design, performance and optimization of the Savonius rotor. Proc.IMechE Part A: Journal of Power and Energy, Vol 227, pp. 528–542 (Sage). doi:10.1177/0957650913480992; Impact factor: 1.563 (Q2)
S.Roy, 2020, Application of Vertical Axis Wind Turbines for Alternative Energy Generation. Malaysian Intellectual Property Corporation, Govt. of Malaysia, Copyright Filling No: LY2020007391, ID No. C06_2020.
S.Roy, Y.K. San, J. Malang, and K. McKee, 2019, Technical Issues Faced by the Iban Indigenous Community of Kampung Sungai Sebatu and Project Challenges. Malaysian Intellectual Property Corporation, Govt. of Malaysia, Copyright Filling No: LY2019008118, ID No. C011_2019_CUM.
A. Raj, S. Roy, B.J. Bora, H. Niyas, 2021, CFD Analysis of a Straight Bladed Darrieus Vertical Axis Wind Turbine Using NACA 0021 Aerofoil. Book chapter-6, In: Muthukumar P., Sarkar D.K., De D., De C.K. (eds) Innovations in Sustainable Energy and Technology. Advances in Sustainability Science and Technology. Springer, Singapore. doi:10.1007/978-981-16-1119-3.
- A. Nayak, S. Roy, S. Sundaram, A. Deo, H. Niyas, 2021, Aerodynamic Performance Enhancement and Optimization of a H-rotor Vertical Axis Wind Turbine. Book chapter-5, In: Muthukumar P., Sarkar D.K., De D., De C.K. (eds) Innovations in Sustainable Energy and Technology. Advances in Sustainability Science and Technology. Springer, Singapore. doi:10.1007/978-981-16-1119-3.
- C.R. Babu, P. Kumar, S. Roy, D. Kanungo, 2021, CFD analysis of an economizer for heat transfer enhancement using serrated finned tube equipped with variable fin segments. Materials Today: Proceedings. Vol 45(1), pp. 222–230 (Elsevier). doi:10.1016/j.matpr.2020.10.422 (Selected from ICITFES 2020, India)
- E. Singh, S. Roy, and Y.K. San, 2020, Numerical analysis of exhaust air energy extractor for cooling tower applications. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, Vol. 943, pp. 012035 (1–11). (IOP). doi:10.1088/1757-899X/943/1/012035 (Selected from ICMTE 2019, Malaysia)
- Thanesh, and S. Roy, 2020, Aerodynamic analysis of active trailing-edge flaps and passive surface roughness on NACA 4412 airfoil. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, Vol. 943, pp. 012036 (1–10). (IOP). doi:10.1088/1757-899X/943/1/012036 (Selected from ICMTE 2019, Malaysia)
- Y.K. San, S. Roy, V.C.C. Lee, and M.C. Law, 2020, Numerical analysis of erosion pattern on pipe elbow bend with swirling flows. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, Vol. 943, pp. 012037 (1–7). (IOP). doi:10.1088/1757-899X/943/1/012037 (Selected from ICMTE 2019, Malaysia)
- A.Z. Anthony and S. Roy, 2020, Performance analysis of a modified Savonius hydrokinetic turbine blade for rural application. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, Vol. 943, pp. 012034 (1–10). (IOP). doi:10.1088/1757-899X/943/1/012034 (Selected from ICMTE 2019, Malaysia)
- Y.K. San, G. Chiew, V.C.C. Lee, and S. Roy, 2018, Analysis on rolling damping of a conventional boat fitted with T-shaped bilge keels. MATEC Web Conf.: Mechanical Design Manufacturing and Automation, Vol. 202, pp. 02007 (1–5). (EDP Sciences). doi:10.1051/matecconf/201820202007 (Selected from AAME 2018, Malaysia)
- S. Roy, R. Das, and U.K. Saha, 2017, Identification of geographical locations to operate Savonious wind turbine rotor for meeting a desired performance. ASME 2017 Gas Turbine India Conference (ASME-GTINDIA 2017), December 7–8, Bangalore, India. ASME Proceedings: Renewable Energy (Solar, Wind), pp. V002T06A003, doi:10.1115/GTINDIA2017-4566
- S. Roy, H. Branger, C. Luneau, D. Bourras, and B. Paillard, 2017, Design of an offshore three-bladed vertical axis wind turbine for wind tunnel experiments, ASME 36th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering (OMAE2017), June 25–30, Trondheim, Norway. ASME Proceedings: Ocean Renewable Energy, pp. V010T09A046, doi:10.1115/OMAE2017-61512
- A. Ducoin, S. Roy and M.S. Shadloo, 2016, Direct Numerical Simulation of nonlinear secondary instabilities on the pressure side of a Savonius-style wind turbine. ASME 2016 HT/FE/ICNMM, Heat Transfer, Fluids Engineering and Nanochannels, Microchannels, and Minichannels Conferences (ASME-FEDSM 2016),July 10–14, Washington, USA. ASME Proceedings: 11th Symposium on DNS, LES and Hybrid RANS/LES Methods, pp. V01AT08A004, doi:10.1115/FEDSM2016-7714
- S. Roy, H. Branger, C. Luneau and B. Paillard, 2016, Design of blade profile for offshore vertical axis wind turbines using Double Multiple Stream Tube model with tip loss correction, EUROMECH Colloquium on Scientific and Technological Challenges in Offshore Vertical Axis Wind Turbines, September 7–9, Delft, The Netherlands, pp. 69–70.
- S. Roy, A. Ducoin and U.K. Saha, 2015, Flow physics around a Savonius-style wind turbine considering the influence of shaft. ASME-ATI-UIT 2015 Conference on Thermal Energy Systems: Production, Storage, Utilization and the Environment (ASME-ATI-UIT 2015), May 17–20, Napoli, Italy.
- S. Roy, P. Mukherjee and U.K. Saha, 2014, Aerodynamic performance evaluation of a novel Savonius-style wind turbine under an oriented jet. ASME 2014 Gas Turbine India Conference (ASME-GTINDIA 2014), December 15–17, New Delhi, India. ASME Proceedings:GT Cycle Innovations, Renewable Applications, pp. V001T08A001, doi:10.1115/GTINDIA2014-8152
- A. Banerjee, S. Roy, P. Mukherjee and U.K. Saha, 2014, Unsteady flow analysis around an elliptic-bladed Savonius-style wind turbine. ASME 2014 Gas Turbine India Conference (ASME-GTINDIA 2014), December 15–17, New Delhi, India. ASME Proceedings: Unsteady and Transitional Flows in Turbomachinery, pp. V001T05A001, doi:10.1115/GTINDIA2014-8141
- S. Roy and U.K. Saha, 2014, Performance analysis of Savonius-style wind turbines under concentrated and oriented jets. ASME Turbo Expo 2014 Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition (ASME TURBO EXPO 2014), June 16–20, Dusseldorf, Germany. ASME Proceedings: Wind Energy, pp. V03BT46A027, doi:10.1115/GT2014-26518
- S. Roy and U.K. Saha, 2013, Computational study to assess the influence of overlap ratio on static torque characteristics of a vertical axis wind turbine. Procedia Engineering, Vol 51, pp. 694–702 (Elsevier). doi:10.1016/j.proeng.2013.01.099 (Selected from NUiCONE 2012, India)
- S. Roy and U.K. Saha, 2013, Investigations on the effect of aspect ratios into the performance of Savonius rotors. ASME 2013 Gas Turbine India Conference (ASME-GTINDIA 2013), December 5–6, Bangalore, India. ASME Proceedings: Renewable Energy, pp. V001T07A002, doi:10.1115/GTINDIA2013-3729
- S. Roy and U.K. Saha, 2013, Numerical investigation to assess an optimal blade profile for the drag based vertical axis wind turbine. ASME 2013 International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition (ASME-IMECE 2013), November 15–21, San Diego, USA. ASME Proceedings: Energy,pp. V06AT07A084, doi:10.1115/IMECE2013-64001
- S. Roy and U.K. Saha, 2012, Comparative analysis of turbulence models for flow simulation around a vertical axis wind turbine. Indo-Danish International Conference on Wind Energy: Materials, Engineering, and Policies (WEMEP 2012), November 22–23, Hyderabad, India.
S. Roy, A. Biswas and R. Gupta, 2010, CFD analysis of an airfoil shaped three bladed H-Darrieus rotor made from fibreglass reinforced plastic (FRP). 37th National & 4th International Conference on Fluid Mechanics and Fluid Power (FMFP2010), December 16–18, Chennai, India.
Book/ Book Chapters
- S. Roy and U.K. Saha, 2014, “Design of Savonius-Style Wind Turbines”, in “Small-Scale Wind Power – Design, Analysis, and Environmental Impacts”, Book Chapter-4, pp. 65–91, Momentum Press, New York, USA. ISBN: 9781606504840
- S. Roy, 2018, “Aerodynamic Performance Evaluation of a Novel Savonius-Style Wind Turbine Through Unsteady Simulations and Wind Tunnel Experiments”, Lap Lambert Academic Publishing GmbH & Co. KG, Germany, ISBN: 9783659455582