Assoc. Prof. Dr. Sukanta Roy
Associate Prof. Dr. Sukanta Roy
Head of the Department, Mechanical Engineering
PhD (Mech Eng), MTech, BEng, MASME, MIE CEng (I), SFHEA (UK)
Erasmus Mundus PDF (LHEEA/ECN, France), PDF (IRPHE/AMU, France)
Associate Professor | Department of Mechanical Engineering | Faculty of Engineering and Science
Contact Details Telephone: +60 85 443939 Extn: 2505 | Location: Skylark (SK3)-431 | Email: email@example.com
Research Interests: Experimental and Computational Fluid Dynamics, Wind Turbine Aerodynamics and Hydro-kinetic Turbines, Turbo-machinery, Renewable Energy, Heat Transfer Applications
- Head of the Department, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Curtin University Malaysia (03/2019 – Till date)
- Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Curtin University Malaysia (01/2022 – Till date)
- Senior Lecturer, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Curtin University Malaysia (12/2019 – 12/2021)
- Lecturer, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Curtin University Malaysia (09/2017 – 11/2019)
- Post-Doctoral Fellow, IRPHE, Aix Marseille University, France (11/2015 – 06/2017)
- Post-Doctoral Fellow, LHEEA, Ecole Centrale de Nantes, France (09/2014 – 10/2015)
- Lecturer, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Tripura Institute of Technology, India (08/2007 – 08/2008)
- Other key professional responsibilities are available in the Detailed CV.
Fellowships, Awards, and Achievements
- Curtin Malaysia Students’ Choice Award (2022)
- Senior Fellow, Advance HE, UK (2021)
- Certified PREP Reviewer, Curtin University (2021)
- Curtin Malaysia Learning and Teaching Excellence Award 2020
- Curtin Nominee in the 2020 Australian Awards for University Teaching (AAUT)
- Two (2) Best Paper Awards in National Conference on Innovations in Sustainable Energy and Technology, India 2020
- Curtin Citations for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning 2019
- Fellow, Advance HE, UK (2019)
- Chartered Engineer (India), Institute of Engineers India (2019)
- Golden Globe Tigers Award 2019 for Educational Leadership (2019)
- Erasmus Mundus Post-Doctoral Fellowship from European Commission (09/2014 – 06/2015)
- Young Scientist International Travel Support from Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of India (11/2013)
- Institute Topper of National Institute of Technology, Silchar, India with CPI 10/10 (2008 – 2010)
- BE First class with Distinction from National Institute of Technology, Agartala, India (2007)
- Other key achievements are available in the Detailed CV.
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), since 2011
- The Institute of Engineers (India), since 2007
- Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM), since 2019
- Advance Higher Education (HEA), since 2019
Publications (Top 5 publications)
S. Roy, R. Das, and U.K. Saha, 2018, An Inverse method for optimization of geometric parameters of a Savonious-style wind turbine. Energy Conversion and Management, Vol 155, pp. 116–127 (Elsevier). doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2017.10.088; Impact factor: 11.533 (Q1)
A. Ducoin, M.S. Shadloo and S. Roy, 2017, Direct numerical simulation of flow instabilities over Savonius style wind turbine blades. Renewable Energy, Vol 105,pp. 374 –385 (Elsevier). doi:10.1016/j.renene.2016.12.072; Impact factor: 8.634 (Q1)
S. Roy and A. Ducoin, 2016, Unsteady analysis on the instantaneous forces and moment arms acting on a novel Savonius-style wind turbine. Energy Conversion and Management,Vol 121,pp. 281–296 (Elsevier). doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2016.05.044; Impact factor: 11.533 (Q1)
S. Roy and U.K. Saha, 2015, Wind tunnel experiments of a newly developed two-bladed Savonius-style wind turbine. Applied Energy, Vol 137, pp. 117–125 (Elsevier). doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2014.10.022; Impact factor: 11.446 (Q1)
S. Roy and U.K. Saha, 2013, Review on the numerical investigations into the design and development of Savonius wind rotors. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol 24, pp. 73–83 (Elsevier). doi:10.1016/j.rser.2013.03.060; Impact factor: 16.799 (Q1)
Total Peer-reviewed Publications = 40+
Research/Teaching & Learning Grants
Flow Physics Modelling and Design Optimization of an Exhaust-air Energy Extractor in the Cooling Tower Applications; FRGS Research Grant 2018, Total Amount: RM 100,000.00; Funded by Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE), Govt. of Malaysia. Role: Principal Investigator. Ongoing (2019-2021).
Design and Optimization of a Vertical Axis Wind Turbine Arm for Offshore Applications. Curtin Malaysia Higher Degree Research Grant 2019, Total Amount: RM 161,700.00; Funded by Curtin University Malaysia. Role: Principal Investigator. Ongoing (2019-2022).
First-Year Students’ Active Learning Experiences through Engagement with Indigenous Community-based Projects; Curtin Malaysia Teaching Innovation Project (CMTIP) Grant 2019, Total Amount: RM 2,000.00; Funded by Curtin University Malaysia. Role: Principal Investigator. Ongoing (2020-2021).
Mechanistic Modelling of Ultrasound-assisted Pharmaceutical Crystallization with and without Anti-Solvent. Curtin Malaysia Higher Degree Research Grant 2021, Total Amount: RM 203,904.00; Funded by Curtin University Malaysia. Role: Principal Investigator. Ongoing (2021-2023).
Enhancing First Year Engineering Student Online Learning Experience Through Virtual Science Practical Lab; Curtin Malaysia Teaching Innovation Project (CMTIP) Grant 2021, Total Amount: RM 2,000.00; Funded by Curtin University Malaysia. Role: Co-Investigator. Ongoing (2021-2023).
- Development and Application of Floating and Land-based Solar PV Systems for Sustainable Off-grid Green Energy Generation in Sarawak Tropical Conditions; Curtin Malaysia Sustainability Research Grant 2021, Total Amount: RM 20,000.00; Funded by Curtin University Malaysia. Role: Principal Investigator. Ongoing (2021-2024).