Ir. Dr. Vera Loo Hui
Ir. Dr. Vera Loo Hui
PhD, MPhil, BSc, CEng, MICE, MHKIE
Department of Civil & Construction Engineering
Telephone: +60 85 630 100 Ext. 2502
Location: Skylark 3 (SK3) Room 306
ORCID Profile: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-4287-1635
ResearchGate Profile: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Vera_Loo
- Characterization of the durability of sedimentary rock
- Mapping of the susceptibility landslides/other hazards
- Agriculture land use planning
- Improvement of soft soil by food waste
- Geotechnical modelling of stability of slope and ground settlement
Dr. Loo joined Curtin Sarawak in 2017. She obtained her MPhil and PhD degrees from The University of Hong Kong (HKU) in 2006 and Bachelor Degree from National Taiwan University in 1998. She has about 12 years working experience in industry in both Malaysia and in Hong Kong. Her experiences include ground investigation, settlement assessment for underground tunnel build at reclaimed area, design of and site formation for Hong Kong theme park, and also foundation and piling design review for building and bridge. Other experiences include contract management and site supervision works. Her research experiences include assessment of reservoir landslides and development of the subsurface drainage system for slope. Her current research focuses on durability of sedimentary rock, sustainable use of materials for geotechnical engineering, settlement assessment, mapping of landslides and hazards, and agricultural land use.
She is currently the Coordinator of Curtin Highway and Infrastructure Research Innovation Hub (CHIRI) – a research and consultancy cluster of Faculty of Engineering and Science, Curtin University Malaysia.
- PhD in Geotechnical Engineering, Dept. of Civil Engineering, The University of Hong Kong (2006)
- MPhil in Hydrodynamics, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, The University of Hong Kong (2001)
- BSc in Civil Engineering, National Taiwan University (1998)
- Senior Lecturer, Curtin University Malaysia, Feb 2017 to current
- Geotechnical Engineer, Mott MacDonald Hong Kong Limited, Nov 2012 to Jan 2017
- Geotechnical Engineer, CH2M Hill (Halcrow China Limited), Aug 2012 to Nov 2012
- Assistant/Assistant Resident Engineer, Halcrow China Limited, Sept 2006 to Jul 2012
- Graduate Engineer, KTA (Sarawak) Sdn Bhd, Apr 2002 to Dec 2002
- Research Assistant, Office to Reach Disabilities, National Taiwan University, Aug 1998 to Jun 1999
- Member of Institution of Civil Engineers, United Kingdom (2012)
- Member of The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (2013)
- Graduate Member of Board of Engineers, Malaysia (2018)
- Associate of the Malaysian Geotechnical Society (2019)
- Member of European Association of Geoscientists & Engineers (2019)
- Graduate Member of The Institution of Engineers, Malaysia (2020)
- Chairperson of Challenges and Opportunities of Infrastructure Development in Borneo, 10-11 September 2021
- Organising Committee of 1ST Borneo Building Information (BIM) Symposium, 6 – 7 Dec 2019, Miri, Sarawak
- Organizing Committee of 2nd International Conference on Materials Technology and Energy, 6 – 8 Nov 2019, Miri, Sarawak
Awards and Funds
- Merit Award Innovation Technology Expo, 24-25 July 2019, “Research-Driven” Innovation & Technology.
- Travel Grant EAGE-GSM 2nd Asia Pacific Meeting on Near Surface Geoscience and Engineering 23-26 April 2019, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Newton Fund under The programme, ‘British Council Researcher Links’ for attending the Workshop “The potential of groundwater in Malaysia’s resilient urban future”, 9-12 July 2018, Heriot-Watt University, Putrajaya, Malaysia
- MCEN1000 Engineering Mechanics
- BLDG 1003 Structures
- GEOT2000 Principles of Geomechanics
- GEOT3002 Geotechnical Engineering Analysis
- GEOT4002 Geotechnical Design and Modelling
- ENEN4004 Geoenvironmental Engineering
- ENEN4003 Environmental Principles and Design
20 UG (Completed) 6 UG (Ongoing)
Fianita Anthony – Durability of Northern Sarawak Shales against weathering based on geochemistry, mineralogy and textural properties
Role: Main supervisor
Erik Ngoi Yiew Tuang – Digitizing the Map of Agricultural Plantation Areas in a Southern Region of Miri for Sustainable Agricultural Land Use Planning
- Loo, V. H. and C. K. Wong (2021). Accuracy Assessment of Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) Structure from Motion Photogrammetry Compared with Total Station for a Deformed Slope. Understanding and Reducing Landslide Disaster Risk: Volume 5 Catastrophic Landslides and Frontiers of Landslide Science. V. Vilímek, F. Wang, A. Strom et al. Cham, Springer International Publishing: 291 – 299.
- Min, H., Tham, L. G., Dai, F. C., Wei, J. B., Loo, H., Deng, J. H. & Lee, C. F. (2004) Hydrodynamic monitoring of a preexisting landslide during reservoir filling – a case history of Xietan landslide, the Three Gorges Reservoir, Chinese Journal of Rock Mechanics and Engineering, Vol. 25(21), 3721-3726.
- Ngoi, E.Y.T., Tay A.C., Loo, V.H., Sung, A. N. (2021) Oil Palm Suitability Assessment in the Northern Region of Sarawak using Geographic Information System and Fuzzy Analytic Hierarchy Process Approach. 2021 International Conference on Green Energy, Computing and Sustainable Technology (GECOST).
- Loo Hui Vera & Wong Chou Khong (2019). Comparison of Slope Deformation by Total Station Surveying and Application of Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV). Innovation Technology Expo, 24-25 July 2019, “Research-Driven” Innovation & Technology.
- Loo V (2019). Surveying of a Shale Slope Failure along Highway by Application of Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV). EAGE-GSM 2nd Asia Pacific Meeting on Near Surface Geoscience & Engineering 23-26 April 2019, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Chung, M.Y., Loo, V.H. (2018). The Effect of Rainfall Variability On Slope Stability In Canada Hill, Miri. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 495 (1), art. no. 012099. DOI: 10.1088/1757-899X/495/1/012099
- Clement Vun Hong Yap and Vera Hui Loo (2018). Influence of fine content to the shear strength of clay shale. One Curtin International Postgraduate Conference (OCPC), Nov, 2018, Sarawak, Malaysia.
- Liu, X. L., Loo, H., Min, H., Deng, J. H., Tham, L. G. & Lee, C. F. (2005) Shear strength of slip soils containing coarse particles of Xietan landslide (2006) Geotechnical Special Publication, (151), pp. 142-149. DOI: 10.1061/40863(195)13.
- Deng, J. H., , Tham, L. G., Dai, F. C., Wei, J. B., Min, H., Loo, H. & Lee, C. F. (2005) Monitoring a preexiting landslide during reservoir filling Geotechnical Special Publication, (130-142), pp. 2999-3008.
- Webinar: Shape the World, Institution of Civil Engineers. International women in Engineering Day, 23 June 2020
- Loo Hui Vera & Wong Chou Khong (2019). Application of Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) for Slope Deformation Measurement. 1st Borneo Building Information (BIM) Symposium, 6 – 7 Dec 2019, Miri, Sarawak.
- Vera Hui Loo, Leslie George Tham and Chack Fan Lee (2017). Influence of shear strength on the reactivation of an old landslide: a case study at Three Gorges Reservoir. 1st International Congress on Earth Sciences. 2017.
Research Grants and Consultancy Projects
- Jabatan Kerja Raya Sarawak
Review the Technical Requirements and Conditions of Surface Drainage Channel on Slope along Highway, from 15 Nov 2021 to Aug 2022 (RM20,000)
Role: Project leader
Evaluation on existing methods for design and construction of gabion wall in Sarawak, from 15 Nov 2021 to Aug 2022 (RM20,000)
Role: Team member
- Ministry of Eduation (Fundamental Research Grant Scheme)
Characterization of the durability of Northern Sarawak Shales against weathering based on geochemistry, mineralogy and textural properties commence on 1 Sep 2019 (RM108,700)
Role: Principal Investigator
- Sarawak Multimedia Authority
Digitizing the Map of Agricultural Plantation Areas in a Southern Region of Miri for Sustainable Agricultural Land Use Planning under Sarawak Multimedia Authority commence on 15 April 2019 (RM70,000)
- Curtin Malaysia Research Institute Top Down Grant
Improving Knowledge of Stability of Slope in the Presence of Clay Shale Materials, Feb 2018 to Jul 2018 (RM3,000)
Role: Project leader
Teaching and Learning Grant
- Curtin Malaysia Teaching Innovation Project (CMTIP)
Development of Mobile Apps to Learn Geology in and around Miri Region for Engineering and Geology Students, Nov 2020 to Oct 2021 RM2,000)
Role: Project leader
Selected Industrial Projects
- Hong Kong Third Runway System – New Automated People Mover and Baggage Handling System of 2.6km Tunnels Design under Agreement of Hong Kong International Airport, 2016 to 2017
- Site Formation of Hotel of Hong Kong Theme Park, 2014 to 2017
- Redevelopment of Kwun Tong Swimming Pool Complex and Recreation Ground under Consultancy Agreement of Architectural Department, 2013 to 2015
- Engineer and Routine Maintenance Inspections of Country Park Slopes Maintained by Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department, 2015 to 2017
- Third Runway Reclamation under Contract of Hong Kong International Airport, 2013
- 10-Year Extended Landslip Preventive Measures Project, Phase 8, Package A – Landslip Preventive Works for Slopes in Kowloon and the New Territories under Contract of Hong Kong Geotechnical Engineering Office, 2007-2011
- Development of Bathing Beach at Lung Mei, Tai Po – Environmental, Drainage and Traffic Impact Assessment – Investigation under Agreement of Hong Kong Civil Engineering Development Department, 2006-2007
Student Projects (On-going)
- Climate Change and its Impact on Environment and Natural Disasters in Seychelles
- Review on Road Maintenance Practice in Malaysia
- Assessment of Photogrammetric Mapping Accuracy Based on The Arrangement of Ground Control Points
- Sustainability implications of the use of recycled materials as embankment fill
- Soil strength characteristic by additives of food waste
- Campus settlement assessment by satellite images and available site investigation data