Ir. Dr. Vera Loo Hui
Ir. Dr. Vera Loo Hui
PhD, MPhil, BSc, CEng, MICE, MHKIE
Department of Civil & Construction Engineering
Telephone: +60 85 630 100 Ext. 2502
Location: Skylark 3 (SK3) Room 306
ORCID Profile: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-4287-1635
ResearchGate Profile: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Vera_Loo
- Characterization of the durability of weathered rock
- Mapping of the susceptibility landslides/other hazards
- Landslide reconnaissance by application of Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV)
- Improvement of soft soil by food waste
- Geotechnical modelling of stability of slope and ground settlemen
Dr Loo joined Curtin Sarawak in 2017. She obtained her MPhil and PhD degrees from The University of Hong Kong (HKU) in 2006 and Bachelor Degree from National Taiwan University in 1998. She has about 12 years working experience in industry in both Malaysia and in Hong Kong. Her experiences include ground investigation, settlement assessment for underground tunnel build at reclaimed area, design of and site formation for Hong Kong theme park, and also foundation and piling design review for building and bridge. Other experiences include contract management and site supervision works. Her research experiences include assessment of reservoir landslides and development of the subsurface drainage system for slope. Her current research focus on application of Unmanned Aerial Vehicle for slope study, characterization of durability of weathered rock and improvement of marine clay.
- PhD in Geotechnical Engineering, Dept. of Civil Engineering, The University of Hong Kong (2006)
- MPhil in Hydrodynamics, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, The University of Hong Kong (2001)
- BSc in Civil Engineering, National Taiwan University (1998)
- Senior Lecturer, Curtin University Malaysia, Feb 2017 to current
- Geotechnical Engineer, Mott MacDonald Hong Kong Limited, Nov 2012 to Jan 2017
- Geotechnical Engineer, CH2M Hill (Halcrow China Limited), Aug 2012 to Nov 2012
- Assistant/Assistant Resident Engineer, Halcrow China Limited, Sept 2006 to Jul 2012
- Graduate Engineer, KTA (Sarawak) Sdn Bhd, Apr 2002 to Dec 2002
- Research Assistant, National Taiwan University, Aug 1998 to Jun 1999
- Chartered Engineer, Institution of Civil Engineers, United Kingdom
- Member, Institution of Civil Engineers, United Kingdom
- Member, The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers
- Associate, The Malaysian Geotechnical Society
- Member, European Association of Geoscientists & Engineers
- Graduate Engineer, Board of Engineers, Malaysia
- Organizing Committee, 1ST Borneo Building Information (BIM) Symposium, 6 – 7 Dec 2019, Miri, Sarawak
- Organizing Committee, 2nd International Conference on Materials Technology and Energy, 6 – 8 Nov 2019, Miri, Sarawak
Awards and Funds
- Merit Award Innovation Technology Expo, 24-25 July 2019, “Research-Driven” Innovation & Technology.
- Travel Grant EAGE-GSM 2nd Asia Pacific Meeting on Near Surface Geoscience and Engineering 23-26 April 2019, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Newton Fund under The programme, ‘British Council Researcher Links’ for attending the Workshop “The potential of groundwater in Malaysia’s resilient urban future”, 9-12 July 2018, Heriot-Watt University, Putrajaya, Malaysia
- MCEN1000 Engineering Mechanics
- GEOT2000 Principles of Geomechanics
- GEOT3002 Geotechnical Engineering Analysis
- GEOT4002 Geotechnical Design and Modelling
- ENEN4004 Geoenvironmental Engineering
- ENEN4003 Environmental Principles and Design
- 10 UG (Completed) 7 UG (Ongoing)
- Min, H., Tham, L. G., Dai, F. C., Wei, J. B., Loo, H., Deng, J. H. & Lee, C. F. (2004) Hydrodynamic monitoring of a preexisting landslide during reservoir filling – a case history of Xietan landslide, the Three Gorges Reservoir, Chinese Journal of Rock Mechanics and Engineering, Vol. 25(21), 3721-3726.
- Loo Hui Vera & Wong Chou Khong (2019). Application of Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) for Slope Deformation Measurement. 1st Borneo Building Information (BIM) Symposium, 6 – 7 Dec 2019, Miri, Sarawak.
- Loo Hui Vera & Wong Chou Khong (2019). Comparison of Slope Deformation by Total Station Surveying and Application of Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV). Innovation Technology Expo, 24-25 July 2019, “Research-Driven” Innovation & Technology.
- Loo V (2019). Surveying of a Shale Slope Failure along Highway by Application of Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV). EAGE-GSM 2nd Asia Pacific Meeting on Near Surface Geoscience & Engineering 23-26 April 2019, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Chung, M.Y., Loo, V.H. (2018). The Effect of Rainfall Variability On Slope Stability In Canada Hill, Miri. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 495 (1), art. no. 012099. DOI: 10.1088/1757-899X/495/1/012099
- Clement Vun Hong Yap and Vera Hui Loo (2018). Influence of fine content to the shear strength of clay shale. One Curtin International Postgraduate Conference (OCPC), Nov, 2018, Sarawak, Malaysia.
- Vera Hui Loo, Leslie George Tham and Chack Fan Lee (2017). Influence of shear strength on the reactivation of an old landslide: a case study at Three Gorges Reservoir. 1st International Congress on Earth Sciences. 2017.
- Liu, X. L., Loo, H., Min, H., Deng, J. H., Tham, L. G. & Lee, C. F. (2005) Shear strength of slip soils containing coarse particles of Xietan landslide (2006) Geotechnical Special Publication, (151), pp. 142-149. DOI: 10.1061/40863(195)13.
- Deng, J. H., , Tham, L. G., Dai, F. C., Wei, J. B., Min, H., Loo, H. & Lee, C. F. (2005) Monitoring a preexiting landslide during reservoir filling Geotechnical Special Publication, (130-142), pp. 2999-3008.
Research Grants and Consultancy Projects
- Ministry of Education (Fundamental Research Grant Scheme) – Principal Investigator, Characterization of the durability of Northern Sarawak Shales against weathering based on geochemistry, mineralogy and textural properties commence on 1 Sep 2019 (RM 108,700)
- Sarawak Multimedia Authority – Co-investigator, Digitizing the Map of Agricultural Plantation Areas in a Southern Region of Miri for Sustainable Agricultural Land Use Planning under Sarawak Multimedia Authority commence on 15 April 2019 (RM 70,000)
- Curtin Malaysia Research Institute Top Down Grant – Project leader, Improving Knowledge of Stability of Slope in the Presence of Clay Shale Materials, Feb 2018 to Jul 2018 (RM 2,000)
- Assessment of landslide susceptibility for selected area at northern region of Sarawak
- Influence of weather to the slaking of clay bearing rock by using modified natural slake test
- Improvement of undrained shear strength of Marine clay by adding industrial and food waste
- Compressibility behaviour of marine clay treated with different additives
- Modelling of the influence of soil water characteristic to the seepage flow and slope stability due to rainfall