Ir. Dr. Vera Loo Hui
Ir. Dr. Vera Loo Hui
PhD, MPhil, BSc, CEng, MICE, MHKIE
Civil & Construction Engineering
Telephone: +60 85 630 100 Ext. 2502
Fax: +60 85 443 837
Location: Skylark 3 (SK3) Room 306
Dr Loo joined Curtin Sarawak in 2017. She obtained her MPhil and PhD degrees from The University of Hong Kong (HKU) and Bachelor Degree from National Taiwan University. She has about 12 years working experience in industry both in Malaysia and in Hong Kong. Her experiences include ground investigation, reclamation and settlement assessment, slope works, retaining structures and site formation and also foundation and piling. Other experience includes contract management and site supervision works. Her research experiences include reservoir landslide, development of the subsurface drainage system for rockfill slope overlying fill slope, and analytical solution of dispersion of pollutant under surface waves. Her current research focus on application of Unmanned Aerial Vehicle for slope deformation, durability of shale and improvement of marine clay.
- PhD in Geotechnical Engineering, Dept. of Civil Engineering, The University of Hong Kong (2006)
- MPhil in Hydrodynamics, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, The University of Hong Kong (2001)
- BSc in Civil Engineering, National Taiwan University (1998)
- Surveying of slope deformation by application of Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV)
- Slaking mechanism and durability of shale
- Improvement of marine mud/alluvial deposits
- Numerical modelling of influence of rainfall pattern to stability of slope
- Settlement assessment of reclaimed land
- Vera Hui Loo. Surveying of a Shale Slope Failure along Highway by Application of Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV). EAGE-GSM 2nd Asia Pacific Meeting on Near Surface Geoscience & Engineering 23-26 April 2019, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Ming Yong Chung. and Vera Hui Loo. The Effect of Rainfall Variability On Slope Stability In Canada Hill, Miri. Curtin University Technology, Science and Engineering (CUTSE) Conference, 2018, Sarawak, Malaysia.
- Clement Vun Hong Yap and Vera Hui Loo. Influence of fine content to the shear strength of clay shale. One Curtin International Postgraduate Conference (OCPC), Nov, 2018, Sarawak, Malaysia.
- Vera Hui Loo, Leslie George Tham and Chack Fan Lee. Influence of shear strength on the reactivation of an old landslide: a case study at Three Gorges Reservoir. 1st International Congress on Earth Sciences. 2017.
- Liu, X. L., Loo, H., Min, H., Deng, J. H., Tham, L. G. & Lee, C. F. (2005) Shear Strength of Slip Soils containing coarse particles of Xietan Landslide, Geoshanghai, June, 2006, Shanghai, China.
- Deng, J. H., , Tham, L. G., Dai, F. C., Wei, J. B., Min, H., Loo, H. & Lee, C. F. (2005) Monitoring a preexiting landslide during reservoir filling, Proc. Geofrontiers05. Proc. 8th National Conference of Rock Mechanics and Engineering, Jan, 2005, Austin, Texas.
- Min, H., Tham, L. G., Dai, F. C., Wei, J. B., Loo, H., Deng, J. H. & Lee, C. F. (2004) Hydrodynamic monitoring of a preexisting landslide during reservoir filling – a case history of Xietan landslide, the Three Gorges Reservoir, Chinese Journal of Rock Mechanics and Engineering, Vol. 25(21), 3721-3726.
- Deng, J. H., Dai, F. C., Min, H., Wei, J. B., Loo, H., Tham, L. G.& Lee, C. F. (2004) Monitoring system for Xietan landslide, the Three Gorges Reservoir area, Proc. 8th National Conference of Rock Mechanics and Engineering. Oct, 2004, Chengdu, China
- Loo, H. & Chwang, A. T. (2001) Effect of Surface Waves on Pollutant Dispersion, Proceedings of 2001 Mechanics and Materials Summer Conference, San Diego, CA, USA.
- Member of Institution of Civil Engineers, United Kingdom
- Member of The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers