Vera Loo Hui
Ir. Dr. Vera Loo Hui
PhD, MPhil, BSc, CEng, MICE, MHKIE
Department of Civil & Construction Engineering
Telephone: +60 85 630 100 Ext. 2502
Location: Skylark 3 (SK3) Room 306
ORCID Profile: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-4287-1635
ResearchGate Profile: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Vera_Loo
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=YZzlT64AAAAJ
- PhD in Geotechnical Engineering, Dept. of Civil Engineering, The University of Hong Kong (2006)
- MPhil in Hydrodynamics, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, The University of Hong Kong (2001)
- BSc in Civil Engineering, National Taiwan University (1998)
- Characterization of the durability of sedimentary rock
- Mapping of the susceptibility landslides/other hazards
- Agriculture land use planning
- Improvement of soft soil by food waste
- Geotechnical modelling of stability of slope and ground settlement
Awards and Funds
- Merit Award Innovation Technology Expo, 24-25 July 2019, “Research-Driven” Innovation & Technology.
- Travel Grant EAGE-GSM 2nd Asia Pacific Meeting on Near Surface Geoscience and Engineering 23-26 April 2019, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Newton Fund under The programme, ‘British Council Researcher Links’ for attending the Workshop “The potential of groundwater in Malaysia’s resilient urban future”, 9-12 July 2018, Heriot-Watt University, Putrajaya, Malaysia
A. Book Chapters
- Loo, V. H. and C. K. Wong (2021). Accuracy Assessment of Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) Structure from Motion Photogrammetry Compared with Total Station for a Deformed Slope. Understanding and Reducing Landslide Disaster Risk: Volume 5 Catastrophic Landslides and Frontiers of Landslide Science. V. Vilímek, F. Wang, A. Strom et al. Cham, Springer International Publishing: 291 – 299.
- Lai, T.Y., Loo, V.H., Wong, V.K., Wong, K.S. (2022). Modification of the Natural Slake Test and Assessment of Slaking Behavior of a Shale from Malaysia Under Rainfall. Geotech Geol Eng https://doi.org/10.1007/s10706-022-02085-x
- Vera H. Loo, Wahidul K. Biswas, Nicholas Z. S. Chin (2022). Life Cycle Assessment of Utilization of Shredded Tire for Sustainable Road Embankment. World Engineering, Science and Technology Congress, International Conference on Emerging Smart Cities. Borneo Convention Centre Kuching, Sarawak, 1 to 2 Dec 2022.
- Hassan, M. S. K., Loo, V. H. (2022). Effect of Slope Geometries on 3D Slope Stability under the Influence of Infiltration. The HKIE Geotechnical Division 42nd Annual Seminar 2022.
- Anthony, F., Loo, V. H., Wong, K.S., Ben-Awuah, J., Ramasamy, N., Leong, W.K. (2022). Durability Assessment of The Cenozoic Shales in The Northern Sarawak, Malaysia. Proceedings of the 7th International Young Geotechnical Engineers Conference, 29 April – 1 May 2022, Sydney, Australia.
- Ngoi, E. Y. T., Tay, A. C., Loo, VH, Sung, AN (2021). Oil Palm Suitability Assessment in the Northern Region of Sarawak using Geographic Information System and Fuzzy Analytic Hierarchy Process Approach. 2021 International Conference on Green Energy, Computing and Sustainable Technology (GECOST).
- Loo Hui Vera & Wong Chou Khong (2019). Comparison of Slope Deformation by Total Station Surveying and Application of Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV). Innovation Technology Expo, 24-25 July 2019, “Research-Driven” Innovation & Technology.
- Loo V (2019). Surveying of a Shale Slope Failure along Highway by Application of Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV). EAGE-GSM 2nd Asia Pacific Meeting on Near Surface Geoscience & Engineering 23-26 April 2019, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Chung, M.Y., Loo, V.H. (2018). The Effect of Rainfall Variability On Slope Stability In Canada Hill, Miri. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 495 (1), art. no. 012099. DOI: 10.1088/1757-899X/495/1/012099
- Clement Vun Hong Yap and Vera Hui Loo (2018). Influence of fine content to the shear strength of clay shale. One Curtin International Postgraduate Conference (OCPC), Nov, 2018, Sarawak, Malaysia.
- Liu, X. L., Loo, H., Min, H., Deng, J. H., Tham, L. G. & Lee, C. F. (2005) Shear strength of slip soils containing coarse particles of Xietan landslide (2006) Geotechnical Special Publication, (151), pp. 142-149. DOI: 10.1061/40863(195)13.
- Deng, J. H., Tham, L. G., Dai, F. C., Wei, J. B., Min, H., Loo, H. & Lee, C. F. (2005) Monitoring a preexiting landslide during reservoir filling Geotechnical Special Publication, (130-142), pp. 2999-3008.
- Min, H., Tham, L. G., Dai, F. C., Wei, J. B., Loo, H., Deng, J. H. & Lee, C. F. (2004) Hydrodynamic monitoring of a preexisting landslide during reservoir filling – a case history of Xietan landslide, the Three Gorges Reservoir, Chinese Journal of Rock Mechanics and Engineering, Vol. 25(21), 3721-3726.
Research Grants and Consultancy Projects
- Jabatan Kerja Raya Sarawak
Review the Technical Requirements and Conditions of Surface Drainage Channel on Slope along Highway, from 15 Nov 2021 to Aug 2022 (RM 20,000)
Role: Project leader
Evaluation on existing methods for design and construction of gabion wall in Sarawak, from 15 Nov 2021 to Aug 2022 (RM 20,000)
Role: Team member
Review and Determination of Bearing Capacity Using Makintosh Probe in Sarawak, 15 Mar to 15 Sept 2022 (RM 20,000)
Role: Team member
- Ministry of Eduation (Fundamental Research Grant Scheme)
Characterization of the durability of Northern Sarawak Shales against weathering based on geochemistry, mineralogy and textural properties commence on 1 Sep 2019 (RM108,700)
Role: Principal Investigator
- Sarawak Multimedia Authority
Digitizing the Map of Agricultural Plantation Areas in a Southern Region of Miri for Sustainable Agricultural Land Use Planning under Sarawak Multimedia Authority commence on 15 April 2019 (RM70,000)
- Curtin Malaysia Research Institute Top Down Grant
Improving Knowledge of Stability of Slope in the Presence of Clay Shale Materials, Feb 2018 to Jul 2018 (RM3,000)
Role: Project leader
Teaching and Learning Grant
- Curtin Malaysia Teaching Innovation Project (CMTIP)
Development of Mobile Apps to Learn Geology in and around Miri Region for Engineering and Geology Students, Nov 2020 to Oct 2021 RM2,000)
Role: Project leader
- Curtin Malaysia Teaching Innovation Project (CMTIP) – A Comparative Study of Predominant Face-to-face and Online Learning Modes for First Year Engineering Students and the Impact on their learning outcome attainments (RM 2,000), Oct 2022 to Oct 2023
Role: Project member
Selected Industrial Projects
- Kuching Urban Transportation System (KUTS) Project – Phase 1, 2022
- Hong Kong Third Runway System – New Automated People Mover and Baggage Handling System of 2.6km Tunnels Design under Agreement of Hong Kong International Airport, 2016 to 2017
- Site Formation of Hotel of Hong Kong Theme Park, 2014 to 2017
- Redevelopment of Kwun Tong Swimming Pool Complex and Recreation Ground under Consultancy Agreement of Architectural Department, 2013 to 2015
- Engineer and Routine Maintenance Inspections of Country Park Slopes Maintained by Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department, 2015 to 2017
- Third Runway Reclamation under Contract of Hong Kong International Airport, 2013
- 10-Year Extended Landslip Preventive Measures Project, Phase 8, Package A – Landslip Preventive Works for Slopes in Kowloon and the New Territories under Contract of Hong Kong Geotechnical Engineering Office, 2007-2011
- Development of Bathing Beach at Lung Mei, Tai Po – Environmental, Drainage and Traffic Impact Assessment – Investigation under Agreement of Hong Kong Civil Engineering Development Department, 2006-2007
- Climate Change and its Impact on Environment and Natural Disasters in Seychelles
- Review on Road Maintenance Practice in Malaysia
- Assessment of Photogrammetric Mapping Accuracy Based on The Arrangement of Ground Control Points
- Sustainability implications of the use of recycled materials as embankment fill
- Soil strength characteristic by additives of food waste
- Campus settlement assessment by satellite images and available site investigation data
- Miri Geology Mobile Apps. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Curtin.curterramiri
- Fianita Anthony – Durability of Northern Sarawak Shales against weathering based on geochemistry, mineralogy and textural properties (completed)
Role: Main Supervisor
- Erik Ngoi Yiew Tuang – Digitizing the Map of Agricultural Plantation Areas in a Southern Region of Miri for Sustainable Agricultural Land Use Planning (completed)
- Chairperson of Challenges and Opportunities of Infrastructure Development in Borneo, 10-11 September 2021
- Organising Committee of 1ST Borneo Building Information (BIM) Symposium, 6 – 7 Dec 2019, Miri, Sarawak
- Organizing Committee of 2nd International Conference on Materials Technology and Energy, 6 – 8 Nov 2019, Miri, Sarawak
- Member of Institution of Civil Engineers, United Kingdom (2012)
- Member of The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (2013)
- Graduate Member of Board of Engineers, Malaysia (2018)
- Associate of the Malaysian Geotechnical Society (2019)
- Member of European Association of Geoscientists & Engineers (2019)
- Graduate Member of The Institution of Engineers, Malaysia (2020)