Dr. Jayakumar Muthuramalingam
- Graduate Certificate in Tertiary Teaching, Curtin University, Australia, 2009
- PhD in Civil Engineering, Curtin University of Technology Perth, Australia, 2007
- Masters in Engineering (Structural Eng.), Madras University, 1981
- Bachelor in Engineering (Civil), Madurai Kamaraj University, 1976
|Since Jan 2008||Senior Lecturer, Curtin University Malaysia|
|Feb 2005 – Dec 2007||Lecturer, Curtin University Malaysia|
|Nov 1983 – Oct 1991||Reader, Manipal Institute of Technology, Manipal, India|
|Nov 1981 – Oct 1983||Lecturer, Government College of Engineering, salam, India|
|Nov 1976 – Oct 1981||Lecturer, government College of Technology, Coimbatore, India|
Professional Contributions to Educational Development
- Chair of Industrial and External Relations Committee for this year 2012
- Chair of R and D committee, SoE and member of University R and D and graduate studies committee for this year 2010.
- Involved with curriculum development and redesign of many Civil Engineering units.
- Supervised many BE (Hons) projects and Co-supervisor for PhD student
- Published 4 T and L research papers in conferences and Journal.
- Teaching various core and optional units to Civil Engineering courses and Engineering Law, Engineering Management and Contracts to common engineering students
- Construction engineering, management and contracts
- Assessment of wave loads and structural response of offshore structures
- Design and construction of offshore concrete platforms and bridges
- Study on high strength concrete with partial replacement of cement by low calcium fly ash and lime as an additive
- Sustainable design and construction of pavements in soft soil region
- Jayakumar. M., Thiagarajan, K.P. and Rangan, B.V., “Hydrodynamic Load Models for Ringing on Offshore Structures” International Conference in Ocean Engineering, December, 2001, IIT, Madras, India, pp. 201-206.
- Jayakumar. M., Thiagarajan, K.P. and Rangan, B.V., “Effect of Slenderness in High Strength Concrete Columns Under Wave Impact Loads” The Ninth East-Pacific Conference on Structural Engineering and Construction,December, 2003, Bali, Indonesia, pp. CPM 57-62.
- Jayakumar. M., Thiagarajan, K.P. and Rangan, B.V., “Response of High Strength Concrete Columns / Piles Under Wave Impact Loads” The International Conference on Structural and Foundation Failures, August, 2004, Singapore, pp. 201-209.
- Gajendra and Jayakumar. M., “Environmental Impact assessment Studies and Choices for Developmental Projects” The international Conference AEESEAP, KL, June 2005.
- Jayakumar. M. and Gajendra“Construction of highway in soft soil regions of Borneo” The international Conference ICCREM 2005, December, 2005, Penang, pp215-218, V1.
- Jayakumar. M. “Identify Design and Construction Constraints for Road Projects in Soft Soil Urban Areas”Conference Managing and Planning Construction Projects in Malaysia, September 2006 Kuala Lumpur.
- Jayakumar. M., Thiagarajan, K.P. and Rangan, B.V., “Parametric study on Reinforced Concrete Columns subjected to Lateral Loads and Eccentric Compression”, World Engineering Congress WEC 2007, August, 2007, Penang, Malaysia.
- Jayakumar. M., “The Role of Resources Management in Strategic Project Management” Strategic Project Management Conference, August, 2007, Kualalumpur, Malaysia.
- Jayakumar. M., Thiagarajan, K.P. and Rangan, B.V., “Effect of Vertical Compression on Lateral Strength of Reinforced Concrete Slender Columns”, International Conference on Modern Design, Construction and Maintenance of structures, December, 2007, Hanoi, Vietnam.
- Jayakumar. M., Thiagarajan, K.P. and Rangan, B.V., “Numerical analysis of high strength concrete columns subjected to wave impact loads and eccentric compression” 18th Analysis & Computation Specialty ConferenceApril, 2008 Vancouver, BC, Canada.
- Jayakumar. M., Thiagarajan, K.P. and Rangan, B.V., “Effect of Longitudinal Reinforcement on Lateral Strength of High Strength Concrete Columns under Eccentric Compression” for EASEC-11 International Conference, November 19-21, 2008, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Alex Ting Yew Hin, Ronnie Ling Ting Chung and Jayakumar. M., “Performance of Offshore Concrete Structures as compared to steel Jacket Structures” for 2nd Regional Conference, Encon 08, December18-19, 2008, Kuching, Malaysia.
- Jayakumar. M., “Successful way to be a teacher of student choice in multicultural class room of tertiary education” for 1st International conference ICERP2009, June 10-11, 2009, Kualalumpur, Malaysia.
- Jayakumar. M. and Rajalingam. S., “Feedbacks in experiential learning for continual improvement in teaching to tertiary education” for Teaching and Learning Open Forum 2009, July 17-18, Miri, Malaysia.
- Rajalingam. S. and Jayakumar. M., “Engaging learners in large classes of tertiary educations” for Teaching and Learning Open Forum 2009, July 17-18, Miri, Malaysia.
- Jayakumar M., Thiagarajan, K.P. and Rangan, B.V., “Wave Load Resistance of High Strength Concrete Slender Columns Subjected to Eccentric Compression” Journal of Structural Engineering and Mechanics, published by Techno-Press, South Korea.- Submitted
- Jayakumar, M., and Ling, T. C., “Performance of High Strength Concrete with Mineral Admixture in Marine Environment” for 2nd International Conference CUTSE, November 24-25, 2009, Miri, Malaysia.
- Ng, B. Y., and Jayakumar, M., “Experimental Study on Concrete with Low Calcium Fly Ash as Mineral Admixture” for International Conference on Advance in Materials and Techniques in Civil Engineering, ICAMAT, January 7-9, 2010, Coimbatore, India.
- Jayakumar. M., “Expectations of Students Engaged in Tertiary Education on Engineering from Their Teachers of Choice” for Journal, International Education Studies, Canadian Centre of Science and Education, Toronto, Canada, Vol.3, No.2, May 2010
- Jayakumar. M., “Non-linear wave load model to predict the high frequency deep wave impact forces on offshore structures” for International conference on Advances in Interaction and Multiscale Mechanics, AIMM10, May 30- June 2010, Jeju, Korea.
- Jayakumar. M. and Rajalingam. S.,”Successful Teaching Model for Engaging the Learners Effectively in Large Classes of Higher Educations” for International Conference on Education, Training and Informatics (ICETI 2011), 27-30 March 2011, Orlando, USA.
- Jayakumar, M. and Salman, M. A., “Experimental Study on Sustainable Concrete with the Mixture of Low Calcium Fly Ash and Lime as a Partial Replacement of Cement” for International Journal “Advanced Materials Research”, Vol.250-253, pg. 307-312, May 2011.
- Jayakumar, M., and Lau Chee Sing., “Experimental Studies on Treated Sub-base Soil with Fly Ash and Cement for Sustainable Design Recommendations” for 3rd International Conference CUTSE, November 8-9, 2011, Miri, Malaysia.
- Curtin Sarawak Research Fund (CSRF) 2008: Chief Investigator Project Title: Study on high strength high performance concrete in marine environment
- Curtin Sarawak Collaborative Research Fund (CSCR): Co- Investigator Project Title: An Investigation on the Sustainability and Adaptability of Light Steel House in Local Industry: Design & Construction Phase
Previous Industry Appointments
|Feb 2000 – July 2000||Contracts / Planning Engineer in Zainal HM Daud, Seria, Brunei|
|Oct 1995 – Jan 2000||Consulting Engineer in Jurutera Tempatan, Brunei|
|Mar 1995 – Sep 1995||Project Manger in Nirman Constructions, India|
|Mar 1994 – Feb 1995||Senior Project Engineer in Wimpey Alawi, Sultanate of Oman|
|Oct 1991 – Nov 1993||Project Manager in Al Turki LLC, Sultanate of Oman|
- SCORE training program, handled Transportation Engineering module to 3 batches in 2009
- Visited the Canada Hill, Miri land slide 2009 and submitted the preliminary report of cause of failure and suggested remedies. Involved with design and construction of temple in Penang, Malaysia.
- Completed the professional qualification in teaching, GCTT in 2009.
- Attended and presented technical paper in various international conferences in many countries.
Affiliate Member American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
Fellow Academy of General Education (AGE)
Member of Indian Society for Technical Eductaion (MISTE)