Choy Sook Yan
Dr. Choy Sook Yan
Ph.D., B.Eng. (Hons.)
Location: Skylark 3 Room 418
Telephone: +60 85 630 100 Ext: 2635
Fax: +60 85 630 254
Dr. Choy is currently a lecturer in the Department of Chemical Engineering at Curtin University Malaysia. She obtained her PhD and Bachelor Degree (First Class Honours) in Chemical Engineering at Monash University Malaysia. Prior to joining Curtin, she has been involved in teaching as a tutor and a trainer.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Chemical Engineering), Monash University Malaysia
- Bachelor of Engineering (with Honours – Chemical Engineering), Monash University Malaysia
- Diploma in Chemical Engineering, SEGi University & Colleges
- 2019 – Present: Lecturer, Curtin University Malaysia
- 2018: Data Scientist Associate, The Center of Applied Data Science (CADS)
- 2012 – 2017: Tutor/Lab Demonstrator/Final Year Project (FYP) Mentor/Peer Assisted Study Session (PASS) Leader, Monash University Malaysia
- 2012: Research Assistant, Monash University Malaysia
- Water treatment
- Natural coagulants
- Biomass utilization
- Microalgae harvesting
Research Funding & Research Project
- Funder: Sarawak Research Development Council (SRDC)
Title: Synthesis of cationized starch derived from fruit wastes as promising natural coagulants for turbidity removal
Amount: RM 49, 954
Team members: Dr Choy Sook Yan (PI), Assoc Prof Dr John Lau Sie Yon
Duration/Status: April 2020 – November 2021/On-going
- Choy, S.Y., Prasad, K.M.N., Wu, T.Y., Raghunandan, M.E., Phang, S.-M., Juan, J.C., Ramanan, R.N., 2018. Separation of Chlorella biomass from culture medium by flocculation with rice starch. Algal Res. 30, 162-172.
- Choy, S.Y., Prasad, K.M.N., Wu, T.Y., Raghunandan, M.E., Phang, S.-M., Juan, J.C., Ramanan, R.N., 2018. Starch-based flocculant outperformed aluminium sulfate hydrate and polyaluminium chloride through effective bridging for harvesting acicular microalga Ankistrodesmus. Algal Res. 29, 343-353.
- Choy, S.Y., Prasad, K.M.N., Wu, T.Y., Raghunandan, M.E., Yang, B., Phang, S.-M., Ramanan, R.N., 2017. Isolation, characterization and the potential use of starch from jackfruit seed wastes as a coagulant aid for treatment of turbid water. Environ. Sci. Pollut. Res. 24, 2876-2889.
- Choy, S.Y., Prasad, K.N., Wu, T.Y., Raghunandan, M.E., Ramanan, R.N., 2016. Performance of conventional starches as natural coagulants for turbidity removal. Ecol. Eng. 94, 352-364.
- Choy, S.Y., Prasad, K.M.N., Wu, T.Y., Ramanan, R.N., 2015. A review on common vegetables and legumes as promising plant-based natural coagulants in water clarification. Int. J. Environ. Sci. Technol. 12, 367-390.
- Choy, S.Y., Prasad, K.M.N., Wu, T.Y., Raghunandan, M.E., Ramanan, R.N., 2014. Utilization of plant-based natural coagulants as future alternatives towards sustainable water clarification. J. Environ. Sci. 26, 2178-2189.
- Graduate Engineer, Board of Engineer Malaysia (BEM)
- 2010: Member, Golden Key International Honour Society