Dr. Sumaiya Islam
PhD (Monash), MSc (BUET), BSc (BUET)
Lecturer Mechanical Engineering
Telephone: +60 85 443939 Extn: 2481
Fax: +60 85 443837
Location: Skylark 3 (SK3) Room 456
Dr.Sumaiya has joined Curtin University, Sarawak Campus in September 2014.She completed her PhD in Nanomachining at the school of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering from Monash University, Australia, at 2012. Moreover, she did Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering and Masters in Industrial and Production Engineering (IPE) from Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET). Before joining at Curtin University, She worked as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at Advanced Institute of Manufacturing with High-tech Innovations (AIM-HI), Taiwan.
- Conventional machining
- Nano manufacturing
- Composite materials
- Sumaiya Islam,Raafat Ibrahim, Raj Das, Tim Fagan, “ Novel Approach for Modelling of Nano machining using a Mesh-less method”, Applied Mathematical Modelling, Vol. 36, pp5589–5602,2012.
- Sumaiya Islam,Raafat Ibrahim, “Mechanism of Abrasive Wear in Nano Machining”, Tribology Letters, Vol. 42, pp 275-284, 2011.
- Sumaiya Islam, Raafat Ibrahim, “Investigation of Deformation Behaviour and Wear Mechanism in Nano scale Machining of Coated Surfaces”, International Journal of Surface Science and Engineering (IJSurf Se), Vol.5 (1), pp38-50, 2011.
- Sumaiya Islam,Raafat Ibrahim, Raj Das, “Study of Abrasive Wear Mechanism through Nano Machining”, Key Engineering Materials, Vol. 462-463, pp 931-936, 2011.
- Nikhil RanjanDhar, Md. Tanvir Ahmed, and Sumaiya Islam , “An Experimental Investigation on Effect of Minimum Quantity Lubrication in Machining AISI 1040 Steel”, International Journal of Machine Tool and Manufacture, Vol. 47(5), pp.748-753, 2007.
- Nikhil RanjanDhar, Sumaiya Islam and Md. Kamruzzaman, “Effect of Minimum Quantity Lubrication (MQL) on Tool Wear, Surface Roughness and Dimensional Deviation in Turning AISI-4340 Steel”, Gazi University Journal of Science, Vol.20(2), pp.23-32, 2007.
- Nikhil RanjanDhar, Md. Wahidul Islam, Sumaiya Islam and Md Abu Hayat Mithu, “The Influence of Minimum Quantity Lubrication (MQL) on cutting Temperature ,Chip and Dimensional Accuracy in Turning AISI 1040 Steel”,Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.171, pp.93-99, 2006.
- Nikhil RanjanDhar, Sumaiya Islam, Md. Kamruzzaman&Soumitra Paul,“Wear Behavior of Uncoated Carbide Inserts under Dry, Wet and Cryogenic cooling Conditions in Turning C-60 Steel”,Journal of the Brazilian Society of Mechanical Sciences. Vol. XXVII, No.2, pp.146-152, 2006.
- Nikhil RanjanDhar, Sumaiya Islam,“Effect of Cryogenic cooling by Liquid nitrogen jet on tool wear and product quality in turning AISI-9310 steel”. ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Science. Vol. 1, No.1, pp.1-7, 2006.
- Nikhil RanjanDhar, Kazi Md. Rahman, Sumaiya Islam and Md. Hossain,“Using a Minimum Quantity of Lubricant (MQL) and a Carbide Tool in the Drilling of AISI- 1060 Steel”. Journal of Mechanical Engineering, The Institution of Engineers, Bangladesh .Vol. ME 33, pp.22-31, 2006.
- Nikhil RanjanDhar, Sumaiya Islam and Md. Kamruzzaman, “Experimental Investigation on effect on Minimum Quantity Lubrication (MQL) in Machining Steel” Journal of Engineering and Technology, IUT, Bangladesh. Vol.5 No.1 Jan-June, pp.21-35, 2006.
- Nikhil RanjanDhar, Sumaiya Islam, and Md. Kamruzzaman, “Experimental Investigation on Effect of Minimum Quantity Lubrication (MQL) in Machining Steel”, An International Journal of Manufacturing Technology & Research, India, Vol.2 No.1&2, pp.45-52, 2006.
- Sumaiya Islam, Raafat N Ibrahim, Noman Khandoker, “The mechanics of single crystal Cu machining at nanoscale.”11thInternational Conference on the Mechanical Behavior of Materials, pp 2369-2374, Milan, Italy,June 2011.
- Sumaiya Islam, Raafat N Ibrahim, Raj Das, Tim Fagan, “Understanding of Nanomachining using Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics,” Processing and Fabrication of Advanced Materials XIX, pp1162-1173, Auckland, New Zealand, January 2011.
- Sumaiya Islam, Raafat Ibrahim, “Study of Abrasive Wear Mechanism through Nano Machining”,Proceedings of 8th International Conference on Fracture and Strength of Solids, Kualalumpur, Malaysia, June 2010.
- Sumaiya Islam, Raafat Ibrahimand Raj Das, “On Cutting Mechanisms during Nano Machining of Metals”. Proceedings of 2010 International Conference on Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Sydney, Australia, February 2010.
- Sumaiya Islam Raafat Ibrahim, “Evaluation of Composite Hardness & Wear Mechanism of Copper Thin Film Coating”, Proceedings of 8th International Conference on Mechanical Engineering, BUET, Dhaka, Bangladesh, December 2009.
- Sumaiya Islam, Raafat Ibrahim, “ Investigation of the Elastoplastic Deformation Behaiviour by Nano Scratching Method”, 17th International Conference on Composites or Nano Engineering, ICCE-17, in Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, July 26 – August 1, 2009.
- Nikhil RanjanDhar, Sumaiya Islam, Md. Kamruzzaman and T. Ahmed, “The Calibration of Tool Work Thermocouple in Turning Steel”, Proceedings of International Conference on Industrial Problems on Machines and Mechanisms (IPROMM),IIT Kharagpur, India, December 2005.
- Nikhil RanjanDhar, Md. Tanvir Ahmed and Sumaiya Islam. “Cutting Temperature, Tool Wear, Surface Roughness and Dimensional Deviation in Cryogenic Machining”, Tehran International Congress on Manufacturing Engineering (TICME), Iran, 2005.
- Nikhil RanjanDhar, SumaiyaIslam. “Chip Tool Interface Temperature, Chip Formation and Surface Finish in Turning AISI 1060 Steel by Coated Carbide Insert Under Cryogenic Cooling Condition”,Proceedings of 4th International Mechanical Engineering Conference & 9th Annual Paper meet, The Institution of Engineers, Mechanical Engineering Division, Dhaka, Bangladesh, January 2004.
- MdAshiqur Rahman, Sharifur Rahman, Khandoker Neamul Ahsan Noman, and Sumaiya Islam, “Optimum Design of a Proving Ring”, Proceedings of 2nd BSME-ASME International Conference on Thermal Engineering, Dhaka, Bangladesh, January 2004.
- MdAshiqur Rahman, Sharifur Rahman, Khandoker Neamul Ahsan Noman and Sumaiya Islam, “Large Deflection Analysis of Super Elastic Shape Memory Alloy”, Proceedings of 5th International Conference on Mechanical Engineering,BUET, Bangladesh, December 2003.