Neamul Ahsan Noman Khandoker
Dr. Neamul Ahsan Noman Khandoker
PhD (Monash, Australia), MPhil (RMIT, Australia), and BSc Eng (BUET, Bangladesh), FHEA (UK)
Senior Lecturer | Department of Mechanical Engineering | Faculty of Engineering and Science
Contact Details Telephone: +60 85 443939 Extn: 2482 | Location: Skylark (SK3)-310 | Email: email@example.com
Research Interests: Materials, Mechanical Design, and Advanced Manufacturing Processes
Dr. Noman Khandoker is presently working in Curtin University, Malaysia as a Senior Lecturer in Mechanical Engineering department. He joined Curtin University, Malaysia Campus in September 2014. He obtained his PhD in Mechanical Engineering from Monash University, Australia with specific research focuses on mechanical characteristics of nano materials. His Masters by research degree from RMIT University, Australia was supported by automotive industry to address mechanical design related issues for automotive body-in-white structures. He had served as a Project Engineer in an engineering consulting firm in Melbourne from Dec 2007 to Oct 2008. He has been aiming for lifelong learning and developing a career as a successful engineering educator and researcher. Some key areas of strength are desire for continuous improvements; strong background in the principles of mechanical engineering, ability to grasp new concepts and methodologies quickly, efficiently plan, direct and co-ordinate the activities of engineering teaching and research.
- Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Engineering and Science, Curtin University Malaysia (12/2017 – Till date)
- Lecturer, Faculty of Engineering and Science, Curtin University Malaysia (09/2014 – 11/2017)
- Tutor, Monash University, Australia (05/2009 – 12/2012)
- Project Engineer, VIPAC Engineers and Scientists Ltd, Melbourne, Australia (12/2007 – 10/2008)
- Tutor, RMIT University Melbourne, Australia (02/2005 – 08/2007)
Scholarships and Awards
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy, UK (2018)
- Best paper award in International Conference on Material Engineering and Application (ICMEA), Hong Kong (2018)
- Monash Research Graduate School (MRGS) Travel Grant to attend 11th International Conference on Mechanical Behaviour of Materials (ICM11), Milan, Italy (2011)
- ConferenceBursary from organising committee to attend 21st Australian Conference on Microscopy and Microanalysis, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia (2010)
- John Farrant Student Prize (Physical Science) for a scientifically significant presentation by Australian Microscopy and Microanalysis Society at Brisbane, Australia.
- Monash University Departmental Scholarship (MDS) for Ph.D. Research (2010 – 2012)
- RMIT Pro Vice Chancellor’s RTSC recommendation for excellent result in Masters by Research Programme (2008)
- Cooperative Research Centre for Advanced Automotive Technology (AUTOCRC) Postgraduate Scholarship for Masters by Research Programme (2005 – -2007)
- Dhaka Board Merit Scholarship for B.Sc. Engineering degree (1998 – 2004).
- Certificate of appreciation for project “Optimum design of proving ring” in International conference and exhibition on engineering and technology, Dhaka, Bangladesh (2003)
- Finite Element Analysis
- Fundamentals of Strength of Materials
- Machine Dynamics
- Machine Design
- Fundamentals of Mechanical Vibrations
- 1 MPhil (Completed), 2 MPhil (Ongoing)
- 11 UG (Completed), 8 UG (Ongoing)
Scott van Straten, Noman Khandoker, Sumaiya Islam, Hieng Ho Lau, “Design of a proving ring with improved sensitivity and optimum stress distribution”, Key Engineering Materials, (Accepted for publication).
YikVui Kong, Noman Khandoker, Vincent Lee and Sumaiya Islam, “A simple spot weld joint finite element model for vibration analysis”, Materials Science Forum, Vol 911, pp. 112 – 117, 2018.
M. E. Rahman, Phang Ji Ong, Omid Nabinejad, Sumaiya Islam, Noman Khandoker, VikramPakrashi, and KaziSorowardi; “Utilization of blended waste materials in brick”, Technologies, Vol 6(1), 2018.
A L Fong, N Khandoker, and S Debnath, “Development and characterisation of sugarcane bagasse fiber and nano-solica reinforced epoxy hybrid composites”, Materials Science and Engineering, 344, (2018) 012029.
P. S. Balaji, Leblouba Moussa, Noman Khandoker, M. E. Rahman, Lau Heing Ho, “Experimental study on vertical static stiffnesses of polycal wire rope isolators”, Materials Science and Engineering, 217 (2017) 012032.
Noman Khandoker, Sumaiya Islam and Yup Shin Hiung, “Finite element simulation of Mechanical properties of Graphene sheets” Materials Science and Engineering, 206 (2017) 012057.
Sumaiya Islam, Noman Khandoker, Mohammad Izham, TengkuAzizi and Sujan Debnath, “Development of a low cost MQL setup for turning operations”, MATEC Web Conf., Vol 95, 2017.
Sumaiya Islam, Raafat Ibrahim, Noman Khandoker, “ Effect of machining velocity in nano scale machining operations“, Materials Science and Engineering, 78, 2015 .
Noman Khandoker, Stephen C. Hawkins, Raafat Ibrahim,Chi P Huynh, “Peel test of spinnable carbon nanotube web”, Physica E, Vol. 60, pg. 160-165, 2014.
Noman Khandoker, Monir Takla, “Tensile strength and failure prediction of simplified spot weld models”, Material & Design. Vol 54, pg. 323-330, 2014.
N. Khandoker, S.C. Hawkins, R. Ibrahim, C.P. Huynh, F. Deng, “Tensile Strength of Spinnable Multiwall Carbon Nanotubes”, Procedia Engineering, Volume 10, pg 2572-2578, 2011.
S. Islam, R. Ibrahim, N. Khandoker, “The mechanics of single crystal Cu machining at nanoscale”,Procedia Engineering, Volume 10, pg 2369-2374, 2011.
M. Ashiqur Rahman, Sharifur Rahman, K. N. Ahsan,Noman, “Optimum Design of a Circular Proving Ring with variable Cross Section”, Transactions of The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers, Vol.11, Number 4, pg. 53-55, December 2004, ISSN 1023-697X.
Scott Van Stratan, Noman Khandoker, Sumaiya Islam, Lau Hieng Ho, Sujan Debnath, M E Rahman, “On finite element analysis of design and sensitivity of a proving ring”, Proceedings of One Curtin International Postgraduate Conference (OCPC) 2017, Malaysia.
Sumaiya Islam, Raafat Ibrahim, Noman Khandoker, “ Effect of machining velocity in nano scale machining operations “, Proceedings of 9th Curtin University Technology, Science and Engineering (CUTSE) international conference, Sarawak, Malaysia, pg 169 – 172, 2014.
Stephen C Hawkins, Chi P Huynh and Noman Khandoker, “Direct spun pure carbon nanotube yarn fabrication – Fabrication, characteristics, prospects”, The 11th Asian Textile Conference, Daegu, Korea, 2011,pp165 – 172.
N. Khandoker, S.C. Hawkins, R. Ibrahim, C.P. Huynh, F. Deng, “Tensile Strength of Spinnable Multiwall Carbon Nanotubes”,11th International Conference on Mechanical Behaviour of Materials, Milan, Italy, 2011
Islam, R. Ibrahim, N. Khandoker, “The mechanics of single crystal Cu machining at nanoscale”, 11th International Conference on Mechanical Behaviour of Materials (ICM11), Milan, Italy, 2011.
N Khandoker, M Takla and T Ting, 2010, ‘Development of simplified spot weld models: Stiffness prediction and computational performance evaluation ‘, Proceedings of ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition, United States, 12 – 18 November, 2010, Volume 8: Dynamic systems and control, Part A & B, Paper no IMECE 2010-38320, pp. 313-319, ISBN 978-0-7918-4445-8.
Stephen C Hawkins, Noman Khandoker, Raafat Ibrahim et al., “Carbon nanotube strength measurement by SEM nano tensile stage”, CSIRO Advanced Materials Conference and Workshop 2010, Melbourne, Australia.
Stephen C Hawkins, Noman Khandoker, Raafat Ibrahim et al., “Carbon nanotube strength measurement by SEM nano tensile stage”, 21st Australian Conference on Microscopy and Microanalysis 2010, Brisbane.
K N Ahsan Noman, Monir Takla, Thomas Ting, “Comparative performance and verification study of simplified spot weld models”, Proceedings of 8th International Conference on Mechanical Engineering 2003, BUET, (Paper no. ICME03-AM-06), Dhaka, Bangladesh, ISBN 984-32-1042-5.
M. Ashiqur Rahman, Sharifur Rahman, K. N. Ahsan Noman, S Islam, “Large deflection analysis of super elastic Shape Memory AlloyBeams”, Proceedings of 5th International Conference on Mechanical Engineering 2003, BUET, (Paper no. ICME03-AM-54), Dhaka, Bangladesh, ISBN 984-32-1042-5
M. A.Rahman, Sharifur Rahman, K. N. A. Noman, and S. Islam, “Optimum Design of a Proving Ring”,2nd BSME-ASME International Conference on Thermal Engineering 2004, Dhaka, Bangladesh, (Vol.2, pp 1123-1128, 2-4 January 2004, ISBN 984-32-1003-4).
M.A.Salam Akanda, K. N. Ahsan Noman, M. Shahnewaz Bhuiyan, “Zooming of Critical Zone to Refine Finite Difference Solution of Elastic Problem”, 4th International Mechanical Engineering Conference, Institute of Engineers, Bangladesh. (pp. 12 – 18, 29-31 December 2004).
Research & Teaching Grants/Consultancy Projects
1. A mathematical model of a circular force transducer with uniform stress distribution; FRGS Research Grant 2016, Total Amount: RM 59,400.00; Funded by Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE), Govt. of Malaysia. Role: Principal Investigator
2. Impact of real time student response systems on active learning performances; Curtin Sarawak Teaching Innovation Project (CSTIP) 2017, Total Amount: RM 2000.00; Funded by Curtin University, Malaysia. Role: Principal Investigator
3. Polycal wire rope vibration isolator for industrial equipment – A mathematical model; FRGS Research Grant 2015, Total Amount: RM 52,200.00; Funded by Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE), Govt. of Malaysia. Role: Co-Investigator
4. Impact of palm oil based minimum quantity lubrication on machinability of Ti and its alloy (Ti-6Al-4V); FRGS Research Grant 2018, Total Amount: RM 70,000.00; Funded by Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE), Govt. of Malaysia. Role: Co-Investigator