Aja Ogboo Chikere
Dr. Aja Ogboo Chikere
PhD, CEng, MIMechE
Lecturer Mechanical Engineering
Telephone : +60 85 443939
Facsimile : +60 85 443837
Location : Skylark 3 (SK3) Room 339
Dr. Aja Ogboo Chikere joined Curtin University, Sarawak Campus in August 2015 as lecturer with the Department of Mechanical Engineering, School of Engineering and Science. Dr. Aja Ogboo Chikere graduated with a Doctorate Degree in Mechanical Engineering from Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS (UTP), Malaysia. His doctorate research project is “Investigation on Hybrid Solar-Flue Gas Chimney Power Plant” mainly aimed at performance enhancement of solar chimney power plant. He has one-year working experiences as a Postdoctoral Researcher with the Crude Oil Research Centre, Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS after his PhD. He holds a Master of Science in Energy Technology for Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia and a Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical/Production Engineering from Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Nigeria.
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS, Bandar Seri Iskandar, Tronoh Perak, Malaysia
- Master of Science in Energy Technology from Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Bangi, Malaysia
- Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical/Production Engineering from Enugu University of Science and Technology, Enugu, Nigeria.
- ACSSSR 2011 Best Paper Award – “On the natural convection heat transfer in the casing annulus of oil wells” presented at the ASEAN Conference on Scientific and Social Science Research, (ACSSSR), Penang, Malaysia. 2011 by Mohammad Amin Shoushtari, Hussain H. Al-Kayiem, Aja Ogboo Chikere and Sonny Irawan
- ITEX 2012 Gold Medal Award – “Invention of Co-generation to Enhance Thermal Chimney Performance” presented in the 23rd International Invention Innovation and Technology Exhibition, by Hussain H. Al-Kayiem, Aja Ogboo Chikere and Khor Yin Yin
- Renewable energy systems (Solar thermal, Wind, Geothermal)
- Thermo-fluid (Convection and Radiation Heat Transfer)
- Waste Heat Recovery (Production of power from low grade heat)
- Power plant and power generation
- Flow assurance
- Waste Management
- August 2015 – present: Lecturer, Mechanical Engineering Department, Faculty of Engineering & Science, Curtin University, Sarawak Malaysia
- August 2014 to August 2015: Postdoctoral Researcher, Crude Oil Fouling Research Center, Chemical Engineering Department, Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS, Bandar Seri Iskandar, Tronoh, Perak, Malaysia
- July 2009 to March 2014: Graduate Assistant/Graduate Research Assistant Mechanical Engineering Department Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS, Bandar Seri Iskandar, Tronoh, Perak, Malaysia
- March 2004 to March 2008: Project Manager, ROKNET KONSULT, Maryland Enugu, Nigeria
- December 2002 to March 2004: Site Engineer, ROKNET KONSULT, Maryland Enugu, Nigeria
Postgraduate Research Opportunities
Thermal and Total Performance Enhancement of Inclined Solar Chimney Power Plant Using Underneath Air-vent and thermal Storage medium
The increasing demand for electrical and heat energy put pressure on natural resources leading to high deposits of greenhouse gas in the atmosphere and deforestation. Renewable energy has been emphasized to alternate the use of fossil fuels for power generation. The solar chimney power plant (SCPP) is a potential commercial electrical power generation plant which combines the principles of solar-air-collector/greenhouse, turbine and chimney to generated electricity. The SCPP has very low efficiency (<2%) but favored with long operating life of about 100 years. The poor efficiency of the plant is as a result of the indirect conversion of the solar energy to electrical energy through various conversion process, thus the plant efficiency is a product of the efficiencies of the greenhouse, turbine and the chimney. The solar-air-collector/greenhouse, turbine and 1000 m high chimney have > 20%, > 60% and about 3% efficiencies respectively. Conventionally, increasing the size of the SCPP improves efficiency with the consequences of high thermal losses (above 50% thermal loss to the ambient) at the collector and high investment cost on the chimney. This research develops an inclined SCPP with underneath air-vents to enhance collector performance and reduce the thermal losses associated with the collector. The method of investigations are numerical and experimental methods. Numerical investigations will employ ANSYS-FLUENT software to study the system under various ambient conditions considering Malaysia climate, and various vent sizes and design for optimum performance. The numerical method will also study the effect of using chimney with the turbine at the chimney-base and compare with staging the turbine at the collector exit thereby eliminating chimney. An experimental prototype will be established to validate the results of the simulations following the optimum design achieved from the numerical studies.
This project is funded by the Ministry of Higher Education, (MOHE), Malaysia under the Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (FRGS). Thus, there is full scholarship for this project, which include a monthly stipend of RM2,100.00.
Requirements: The requirements include the following:
- The applicant must be a Malaysian
- The applicant should have good background in heat transfer and fluid mechanics
- Good knowledge in the use of ANSYS is desirable.
Interested candidate should contact:
Dr. Aja Ogboo Chikere,
- Aja Ogboo Chikere, Hussain H. Al-Kayiem and Zainal Ambri Abdul Karim “Review on the Enhancement Techniques and Introduction of an Alternate Enhancement Technique of Solar Chimney Power Plant”. Journal of Applied Science, vol. 11, pp. 1877-1884, 2011. http://scialert.net/abstract/?doi=jas.2011.1877.1884
- Aja Ogboo Chikere, Hussain H. Al-Kayiem and Zainal Ambri Abdul Karim “Analytical Investigation of Collector Optimal Tilt Angle – A Case Study of Tronoh, Perak, Malaysia. Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy. Vol.5, Issue 6, 2013. E-ISSN: 1941-7012.http://scitation.aip.org/content/aip/journal/jrse/5/6/10.1063/1.4829434
- Aja Ogboo Chikere and Hussain H. Al-Kayiem “Review of Municipal Solid Waste Management Options in Malaysia cum Recommendation for Sustainable Waste to Energy Option” Journal of Material Cycles and Waste Management. ISSN 1438-4957. 2013. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10163-013-0220-z
- Aja Ogboo Chikere, Oseghale Sunday Dalton and Hussain H. Al-Kayiem “Review and status evaluation of municipal solid waste management practices in Malaysia” The Journal of Solid Waste Technology and Management. ISSN: 10881697. Vol. 40, Iss. 3, pp 215-232 2014.http://solidwaste.metapress.com/content/t047347132554672/
- Aja Ogboo Chikere, Hussain H. Al-Kayiem and Zainal Ambri Abdul Karim “Review on the Enhancement Techniques and a Novel Alternate of Solar Chimney Power Plant”. In proceedings of International Conference on Plant Equipment and Reliability (ICPER), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. 2010
- Aja Ogboo Chikere, Hussain H. Al-Kayiem and Zainal Ambri Abdul Karim “CFD Simulation and Analysis of Thermal Diffuser for High Temperature Flue Gases”. In proceedings of International Renewable Energy and Environment Conference (IREEC), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 2011.
- Mohammad Amin Shoushtari, Hussain H. Al-Kayiem, Aja Ogboo Chikere and Sonny Irawan “On the natural convection heat transfer in the casing annulus of oil wells” In proceedings of ASEAN Conference on Scientific and Social Science Research, (ACSSSR), Penang, Malaysia. 2011 – Best Paper Award.
- Sreejaya K.V., Hussain H. Al-Kayiem, and Aja Ogboo Chikere “CFD Simulation and Analysis of the Inlet Shapes Effect on Air Velocity in a Roof Top Solar Chimney Passage” In proceedings of International Conference on Mechanical, Automotive and Aerospace Engineering (ICMAAE), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. 2011.
- Aja Ogboo Chikere, Hussain H. Al-Kayiem and Zainal Ambri Abdul Karim “Thermal Field Study and Analysis in Hybrid Solar Flue Gas Chimney Power Plant” In proceedings of National Postgraduate conference (NPC), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. 2011
- Aja Ogboo Chikere, Nowshad Amin, M. A. Alghoul, Hussain H. Al-Kayiem “Design of an Intelligent Dual-axis Solar Tracking Device for Solar System Usage” 3rd Curtin University of Technology Science and Engineering International Conference (CUTSE), Miri Sarawak, Malaysia. Pp 705-714, 2011.
- Oseghale Sunday Dalton and Aja Ogboo Chikere, “Towards a Cleaner Environment: A study on the Potential Utilization of Solid Waste as Fertilizer and Energy Sources in Malaysia” 3rd Curtin University of Technology Science and Engineering International Conference (CUTSE), Miri Sarawak, Malaysia. Pp 715-719, 2011
- Aja Ogboo Chikere, Hussain H. Al-Kayiem and Zainal Ambri Abdul Karim “Experimental Investigation on the Effect of Wind Speed and Wind direction on Solar Chimney Power Plant” In proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Urban Regeneration and Sustainability (Sustainable City 2013) Putrajaya, Malaysia, 2013, WIT Transactions on Ecology and the Environment, Volume 179, 2ndVolume, 2013, Pages 945-955. http://www.witpress.com/elibrary/wit-transactions-on-ecology-and-the-environment/179/25273
- Dalton Sunday Oseghale1, Fariz Mohamed Ahmad and Ogboo Chikere Aja, “Oil Palm Waste to Energy – A comparative Overview of Malaysia Experiences and Similar Potentials in Nigeria” Canadian International Conference on Agriculture & Fisheries, AgriFish 2015.
- Aja Ogboo Chikere and M. Ramasamy “Thermal Management of Flow Assurance Challenges in Offshore Fields – A Review” International Conference of Fluids and Chemical Engineering (FluidsChE 2015)
- Hussain H. Al-Kayiem, Seow Lee Lee, Aja Ogboo Chikere and Khor Yin Yin “Improvement to Solar Chimney Power Plant” Patent 2011, Application No: MyIPO PI 2011 001224.
- Hussain H. Al-Kayiem, Aja Ogboo Chikere “Solar Chimney with Cogen” Patent 2012, Application No:MyIPO PI 2012 002176.
- Member, Institution of Mechanical Engineers, UK (CEng MIMechE)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- International Solar Energy Society (ISES – Silver Member)
- Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE)
- MYREN Workshop Facilitator 2015, Green Technology Working Group, Malaysia Research & Education NetworkReviewer to 2 International Journals: Journal of the International Measurement Confederation, IMEKO, (Elsevier Journal – ISSN: 0263-2241) and IAFOR Journal of Sustainability, Energy and the Environment, IJSEE, (ISSN: 2187-0632)