Dr. Wong Kiing Ing
PhD, BEng (Hons.)
Senior Lecturer | Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering
Contact Details Telephone: +60 85 443939 Extn: 2490 Fax: +60 85 443837 Location: SK3-458 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr Wong Kiing-Ing was born in Sarawak, Malaysia in 1975. He received B.Eng (Hons) degree from the University of Manchester in 1999 and PhD degree from the University of Southampton in 2003. In his PhD programme, he investigated the electrical aging phenomena of polyethylene materials using electroluminescence technique. He had successfully measured the phase resolved electroluminescence of polyethylene using a Charge Couple Device (CCD) camera for the first time.
He is working on several projects funded by MOSTI currently. One of the projects is focusing on designing body sensors for detecting physiological data, including electrocardiogram (ECG), heart rate, heart rate variability, photoplethysmography (PPG) and motion/activity of patient. An ECG and a PPG based body sensors have been prototyped successfully and several papers have been published in the international proceedings. The other project is on the instrumentation design for measuring electric field in the bulk of liquid dielectric. The replacement of mineral oils with the vegetable-based oils as the insulation materials is still in it infantry stage. The instrument would enable him to identify the weak regions in the vegetable oils, and therefore possible to improve the electrical performance of the materials in future.
- Senior Lecturer, Curtin University of Technology, Malaysia, since 2009.
- Lecturer, Curtin University of Technology, Malaysia, 2005.
- Assistant Professor, Southern Taiwan University of Technology, Taiwan, 2004.
- Postdoctoral researcher, University Sabah Malaysia, Malaysia, 2004.
- PhD, University of Southampton, U.K., 2003.
- Bachelor of Engineering in Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Honours (First Class), University of Manchester, U.K., 1999.
- The academic of the year in Teaching and Learning, School of Engineering and Science, 2010.
- Five years long service award, Curtin University, Sarawak, Malaysia, 2010.
- The academic of the year in Research and Development, School of Engineering and Science, 2009.
- University of Southampton Postgraduate Research Studentship, 2000-04.
- Wearable body sensor design
- HV insulation materials and measurements
- Design and development of permanent magnet synchronous motor (PMSM) drive
- K. I. Wong (2011). Design and Experimentation of Wearable Body Sensors, Rapid Prototyping Technology – Principles and Functional Requirements, Muhammad Enamul Hoque (Ed.), ISBN: 978-953-307-970-7, InTech, Available from: http://www.intechopen.com/articles/show/title/design-and-experimentation-of-wearable-body-sensors
- K. I. Wong, “Measurement of Space Charge Distributions in PLZT using Kerr Effect”, IEEJ Transactions on Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Vol. 7, No. 5, page 454-457, 2012.
- C. Z. Myint, N. Barsoum, K. I. Wong, “Design a Medicine Device for Blood Oxygen Concentration and Heart Beat Rate”, Global Journal of Technology and Optimization, Vol.1, page 66-71, 2010.
- S. J. Dodd, P. L. Lewin, and K. I. Wong, “Phase Resolved Electroluminescence Measurements in Thin Film of Low Density Polyethylene Using a Charge Coupled Device Camera”, IEEE Transaction on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, Vol.13, pages168-180, 2006.
- Nurul. J.B.N. Mazlan, K.I. Wong, “A Wireless ECG Sensor and a Low-complexity Screening Algorithm for Obstructive Sleep Apnea Detection”, 2012 IEEE EMBS Conference on Biomedical Engineering & Science (IECBES 2012), Langkawi, Malaysia (accepted).
- I.H. Lue, K.I. Wong, N. Barsoum, “Workload Prediction of Wireless Sensor Network based on Linear Prediction”, IEEE International Conference on Cyber Technology in automation, Control, and Intelligent Systems (IEEE-CYBER 2012) , Bangkok, Thailand, 2012.
- T. Y. Lew, C. L. Goi, K. I. Wong, C. S. Lee, “Teaching and learning for English as a Second Language (ESL) Students”, Enhancing Learning- Teaching and Learning Conference, Sarawak, Malaysia, 2011.
- K. I. Wong, “Low-power, Small Size, Wireless, Reflectance Photoplethysmogarphy Sensor for University Laboratories”, Biomedical Engineering, Innsbruck, Austria, 2011.
- K. I. Wong, N. Barsoum, C. Z. Myint, “Teaching the Electronic Design and Embedded System Courses using Body Sensor Node”, 2nd International Conference on Education Technology and Computer, Shanghai, China, page 158-162, 2010.
- K. I. Wong, “Rapid Prototyping of a Low-power, Wireless, Reflectance Photoplethysmography System”, 8thInternational Workshop on Wearable and Implantable Body Sensor Network, Biopolis, Singapore, page 47-51, 2010.
- K. I. Wong and K. A. Silek, “Integration of Brushless DC Motor Drive into Undergraduate Electric Machinery Courses”, Proceeding of the IEEE International Conference on e-Learning in Industrial Electronic, Porto, Portugal, page 2009.
- K. I. Wong, “Real-time Heart Rate Variability Detection on Sensor Node”, Proceeding of the IEEE Sensor Applications Symposium, New Orleans, USA, page 184-187, 2009.
- K. I. Wong and Mel M. S. Ho, “Fast Prototype of a Wireless Cardiac Rhythm Interpretive Instrument, Proceeding of the 30th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBS), Vancouver, Canada, page 502-505, 2008.
- K. I. Wong and Mel M. S. Ho, “Wearable biosignal monitoring nodes for real-time electrocardiogram and motion measurement”, Proceedings of the 5th International Workshop on Wearable and Implantable Body Sensor Network, Hong Kong, page190-193, 2008.
- K. I. Wong, “A light-weighted, low-cost and wireless ECG monitor design based on TinyOS operating System”, Proceeding 2007 IEEE Conference on Information Technology Applications in Biomedicine, page 165 – 168, Tokyo, Japan.
- Y.S. Kung, C. S. Chen, K. I. Wong, M. H. Tai, “Development of a FPGA-based control IC for PMSM drives with adaptive fuzzy control”, Proceeding 2005 IEEE Conference on Industrial Electronics (IECON 2005), pages 1544-1549, Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
- K. I. Wong, P. L. Lewin, S. J. Dodd, “Electroluminescence phenomena of low density polyethylene under applied ac voltage”, Proceeding 2003 IEEE Conference on Electrical Insulation and Dielectric Phenomena, pages 245-248, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
- K. I. Wong, P. L. Lewin, A. E. Davies, “Electroluminescence of low density polyethylene under uniform ac field”, Proceeding 2002 IEEE Conference on Electrical Insulation and Dielectric Phenomena, pages 664-667, Cancun, Quintana Roo, Mexico.
Research Resource Funding
- N.N. Barsoum and K.I. Wong, “Development of Smart Drive Build in AC Motors for Optimal Operation MOSTI (Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation) from 11/2008-10/2010 with RM 268,000.
- K.I. Wong, K. A. Silek and N.N. Barsoum, “Study of Electrical Properties of Palm Oil Using Kerr-Effect Technique” MOSTI (Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation) from 9/2008 – 8/ 2010 with RM221,000.
- K. I. Wong and N.N. Barsoum, “Hardware and Software Design of Body Sensor Network Device”, MOSTI (Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation) from 5/2008 – 11/2009 with RM93,700.
- K. I. Wong, “Design and Implementation of an Adaptive Fuzzy Servo Controller on an FPGA IC Board” CSRF (Curtin Sarawak Research Fund) from 3/2006 to 2/2007 with RM10,000.