Program Objectives and Program Outcomes
DEPARTMENT’S VISION, MISSION AND VALUES
Department of Chemical Engineering aspires to be an internationally reputable facility for chemical engineering education and research that is considered to be indispensable by global industries and highly respected in Asia-Pacific region.
The department is dedicated to undertake teaching and research in chemical and process engineering and to work with industry, government, the community and the profession to help increase national wealth and professional well being.
The department values integrity, innovation and team work in pursuing its vision and mission
- Graduates apply the broaden and in-depth knowledge of Chemical Engineering to analyse the practical problems and think creatively to generate innovative solutions using appropriate technologies
- Graduates make valid judgement, synthesize information from a range of sources and communicate them in ways appropriate to discipline
- Graduates sustain intellectual curiosity and know how to continue to learn not only areas that are relevant to Chemical Engineering, but also that are important to society
- Graduates adapt to different roles and responsibilities in multicultural working environment by respecting diversity, professionalism and ethical practices, and demonstrate leaderships in solving emerging engineering problems within the organization and society at national and international levels
Students of the chemical engineering programme are able to:
- Apply knowledge of mathematics, sciences as well as chemical engineering fundamentals in solving complex engineering problems.
- Identify, formulate, conduct literature research and analyse complex chemical engineering problems.
- Think critically and creatively to generate innovative solutions for complex engineering problems or chemical processes that meet specified needs with appropriate consideration that include public health and safety, cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigation into complex chemical engineering problems using research based knowledge and methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of information to provide valid conclusions.
- Create, select and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools, including prediction and modeling, to complex chemical engineering activities, with an understanding of the limitations.
- Apply engineering principles to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to chemical engineering discipline.
- Understand the impact of professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts and demonstrate knowledge of, and the need for sustainable development.
- Demonstrate commitment to professional ethics and responsibilities in chemical engineering works.
- Communicate effectively on complex chemical engineering activities and be able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, and give clear presentations to all stakeholders concerned.
- Play an effective role as a member or leader in diverse teams and in multi-disciplinary settings and demonstrate respect for cultural diversity.
- Engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change and build up professional skills
- Apply engineering and management principles to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects in multidisciplinary environments.