John Lau Sie Yon
Dr. John Lau Sie Yon
Ph.D, B. Eng (Hons)
Senior Lecturer of Chemical Engineering
Program Coordinator of Environmental Engineering Programme
Telephone: +60 85 443939 Ext 2418
Location: Skylark 3 Room 454
Dr. John Lau is currently a senior lecturer in the Department of Chemical Engineering at Curtin University, Sarawak Campus. He accomplished his Bachelor degree in Chemical Engineering at Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM), Penang in 2008. He then pursued his postgraduate studies at USM in 2009 and achieved his PhD Degree in 2013. During his PhD studies, he had served as a research engineer and involved in designing a pilot-scale pharmaceutical production plant, which was funded by the Malaysian Technology Development Corporation (MTDC). Then, he was offered to join a Malaysia-Cuba technology transfer project at Finlay Institute, Cuba in 2012. His areas of specialization include that of enzyme and membrane application technologies.
PhD in Chemical Engineering, Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM), 2009-2013
BEng (Hons.) in Chemical Engineering, Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM), 2004-2008
- USM research publication Awards, 2011 and 2012
- MyBrain 15(MyPhd) Scholarships Award, 2011
- USM-Postgraduate Research Grant Award, 2010
- Dean List Awards, 2004 – 2008
- Golden Key Award, 2004
- Biocatalysis and separation process
- Enzyme technology in various applications
- Separation using membrane technology
- Environmental biotechnology and Engineering
Selected Research Funding & Research Projects
- One-Stop Protein Information Portal to simplify information retrieval by integrating diverse proteomic data. PRGS. (2015-2018). Co-investigator
- Investigation on shear strength and consolidation behaviour of peat treated using microbial induced calcite precipitation. FRGS. (2015-2018). Co-investigator
- Enzyme-immobilised polymeric capsules for continuous palm oil mill effluent (POME) treatment. Curtin Sarawak Research Institute CSM Academic Grants. (2013-2015)- Principal investigator
- Kinetic modelling of aptameric sensing for real-time pathogen detection and bio-screening. FRGS grant. (2014-2017) Co-investigator
- Advancing pathogen detection and screening using aptameric molecules (2014-2016). Curtin Research Flagship Programme. Co-investigator
- H. Kamaruddin, M.H. Uzir, F.N. Gonawan, and S.Y. Lau.(2015) Chapter 16: Dynamic Enzymatic Kinetic Resolution of NSAIDS. Nanobiomaterials in Antimicrobial Therapy. Advances in Bioprocess Technology,Spinger int, Page 317-356.
- Tiong Chiong, Caleb Acquah, Sie Y. Lau, Ee H. Khor, Michael K. Danquah. (2016).Chapter 12: Microalgal-Based Protein By-Products: Extraction, Purification, and Applications. Protein Byproducts: Transformation from Environmental Burden into Value-Added Products. Elsevier Science and Technology. Pages 213-234
- Tan KX, Danquah MK, Sidhu A, Lau SY, Ongkudon CM. (2016 ). Aptamer-mediated polymeric vehicles for enhanced cell-targeted drug delivery. Current Drug Targets. 17 (16), 1-11.
- Tan KX, Danquah MK, Sidhu A, Ongkudon CM, Lau SY. (2016). Towards targeted cancer therapy: Aptamer or oncolytic virus? European Journal of Parhameutical Science, 96, 8-19.
- C Acquah, LS Yon, Z Tuah, NL Ngee, MK Danquah. (2016). Synthesis and performance analysis of oil palm ash (OPA) based adsorbent as a palm oil bleaching material. Journal of Cleaner Production 139, 1098-1104.
- Tung Chiong, Sie Yon Lau, Zhan Hong Lek, Yew Koh Boon, Michael K. Danquah, Enzymatic treatment of methyl orange dye in synthetic wastewater by plant-based peroxidase enzymes, (2016). Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering. ISSN 2213-3437, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jece.2016.04.030.
- Tan SY, Acquah C, Sidhu A, Ongkudon CM, Yon L S, Danquah MK. SELEX modifications and bioanalytical techniques for aptamer-target binding characterization. (2016). Crit Rev Anal Chem. 15:0. (Published)
- Caleb Acquah, Michael Danquah, John L Yon, Amandeep Sidhu, Clarence M Ongkudon. A review on immobilised aptamers for high throughput biomolecular detection and screening. (2015). Analytica Chimica Acta. 888, Pages 10–18
- Chiong T, Lau SY, Khor EH, Danquah MK. (2014). Enzymatic approach to phenol removal from wastewater using peroxidases. OA Biotechnology. 10;3(1):9.
- N. Gonawan, Lau S. Y., Kamaruddin A. H., and Uzir M. H.(2014). Rapid Base-Catalyzed Racemization of (R)-Ibuprofen Ester in Isooctane–Dimethyl Sulfoxide Medium with Improved Kinetic Model. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research . 53 (2), 635-642.
- Lau, S. Y., Gonawan, F. N., Kamaruddin, A. H., Uzir, M. H. (2013). Enzymatic Deracemization of (R,S)-Ibuprofen Ester via Lipase-Catalyzed Membrane Reactor. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. 52 (27), pp 9441–9453
- Gonawan, F. N, Lau, S. Y., Kamaruddin, A. H. and Uzir, M. H. (2012). Effect of Co-solvent addition on the reaction kinetics of the lipase catalyzed resolution of ibuprofen ester. Journal of Chemical Technology & Biotechnology. 88(4),672-679.
- Lau, S. Y., Gonawan, F. N., Bhatia, S., Kamaruddin, A. H., & Uzir, M. H. (2011). Conceptual design and simulation of a plant for the production of high purity (S)-ibuprofen acid using innovative enzymatic membrane technology. Chemical Engineering Journal, 166(2), 726-737.
- Lau, S.Y., Uzir, M.H., Kamaruddin, A.H. and Bhatia, S. (2010). Lipase-catalyzed dynamic kinetic resolution of racemic ibuprofen ester via hollow fiber membrane reactor: Modeling and simulation. Journal of Membrane Science, 357(1-2), 109-121.
- Lau, S.Y., Mohamad, H. U., and Azlina, H.K. (2012). Production of optically pure (S)-ibuprofen acid via enzymatic dynamic kinetic resolution in hollow fiber membrane reactor. Chemeca 2012, Wellington, New Zealand.
- Lau, S.Y., Bhatia, S., Uzir, M.H., and Kamaruddin, A.H. (2010). Enantioseparation of (R,S)-ibuprofen ester via lipase-catalyzed dynamic kinetic resolution in a hollow fiber membrane reactor. 13th Asia Pacific Confederation of Chemical Engineering Congress (APCChe 2010): Innovation and Sustainability in New Chemical Engineering Era, 2010, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Lau, S.Y., Bhatia, S., Uzir, M.H., and Kamaruddin, A.H. (2009). Review: Progress of Dynamic Kinetic Resolution in Production of Chiral Compound. Chemical Engineering Colloquium,2009: Synergizing Innovation, Think Beyond Sustainable Future, 2009, Penang, Malaysia.
- Tan Kei Xian (PhD). Project: Aptameric Formulation formulation for enhanced cell-targeted Drug Delivery.
- Evelyn Chiong (PhD). Project: Enzyamtic Treatment of POME using Peroxidase. 2014-2016. Co-supervisor
- Joey Tan Sze Ying (PhD). Project: Biophysical Characterisation of Aptameric Binding for Pathogen Sensing Applications, 2014-2017. Co- supervisor
- Caleb Acquah (PhD). Project: Development of smart macroporous polymers for advanced bioscreening, 2014-2017. Co-supervisor
- Member of institute of Chemical Engineers (IChemE)
- Member of American Chemical Society (ACS)
- Member of Golden Key