Dr. Ramasamy Nagarajan
Dr. Ramasamy Nagarajan
Dr. R.Nagarajan joined Curtin University Sarawak Malaysia in August 2008. He completed his PhD at Anna University (India) in 2003. Prior joining in Curtin University, he worked in India as a lecturer at SASTRA University for four years. He has been involved in teaching, research, and students’ supervision at undergraduate and postgraduate level. His research area mainly focuses on sediment and environmental geochemistry. Dr. R. Nagarajan is actively involved in Sediment Geochemistry research related to Paleo-environment, diagenesis, provenance, paleoweathering, tectonic setting and environmental pollution on recent sediments for the last 14 years. Currently he is working on Recent and Neogene sediments of Borneo to infer provenance and paleo environments. HDR Supervision: 1 PhD student – completed; 4 PhD students – in progress; 5 master students – in progress.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), Geochemistry, 2003, Anna University India.
- Master of Science (M.Sc.), Geology, 1999, University of Madras, India.
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.), Geology, 1997, Manonmanium Sundaranaar University (MSU), India.
- Best Research Paper award (CUTSE International Conference – 2008 & 2011, Malaysia)
- Curtin University – Students Choice Award 2009
- REE & Isotope Geochemistry of Carbonates and Siliciclastic Rocks
- Diagenesis of Carbonates & Paleo-Climate.
- Provenance, Paleoweathring and Tectonic Setting.
- Environmental Geochemistry (Sediments/ Soil/ Water)
Journal Publications (Recent/Selected)
- Nagarajan, J. S. Armstrong-Altrin, F. L.Kessler, J. Jong (2017) Petrological and geochemical constraints on provenance, paleo-weathering and tectonic setting of clastic sediments from the Neogene Lambir and Sibuti Formations, NW Borneo (Chapter 7). In: Sediment Provenance: influences on compositional change from source to sink (Ed. Rajat Mazumder) Elsevier Amsterdam, Netherlands. Pp.123-153. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-803386-9.00007-1.
- Raza , A., Gholami, R., Sarmadivaleh, M., Tarom, N., Rezaee, R., Bing, C.H., Nagarajan, R., Hamid, M.A., Elochukwu, H., (2016) Integrity analysis of CO2 storage sites concerning geochemical-geomechanical interactions in saline aquifers. Journal of Natural Gas Science & Engineering, 36:224-240. Elsevier.
- Retama, M. P. Jonathan, P. D. Roy, P.F. Rodríguez-Espinosa, R. Nagarajan, S.K. Sarkar and S.S. Morales-García, N.P. Muñoz-Sevilla (2015) Metal concentrations in sediments from tourist beaches of Huatulco, Oaxaca, Mexico: An evaluation of post-Easter week vacation. Environmental Earth Sciences. 75(5): article No.375. DOI 10.1007/s12665-016-5281-6.
- Raza, A., R. Rezaee, R, C.H. Bing, R. Gholami, R. Nagarajan, and M.A. Hamid. (2016) A screening criterion for selection of suitable CO2 storage sites. Journal of Natural Gas Science & Engineering. 28:317-327. Elsevier.
- Dominique Dodge-Wan and R.Nagarajan (2016) Runnel development on granitic boulders on the foothills of Mount Kinabalu (Pinosuk Gravel Formation, Sabah, N Borneo). Journal of Mountain Science. 13 (1): 46-58. Springer.
- J.S.Armstrong-Altrin, R.Nagarajan, V.Balaram, O.Natalhy-Pineda (2015) Petrography and geochemistry of sands from the Chachalacas and Veracruz beach area, Western Gulf of Mexico, Mexico: Constraints on provenance and tectonic setting. South American Journal of Earth Sciences. 64 (1): 199-216. doi:10.1016/j.jsames.2015.10.012. Elsevier
- Nagarajan, J.S. Armstrong-Altrin, Franz L. Kessler, Elisa L. Hidalgo-Moral, Dominique Dodge-Wan, and Nur Iskandar Taib (2015b) Provenance and tectonic setting of Miocene siliciclastic sediments, Sibuti Formation, northwestern Borneo. Arabian Journal of Geosciences. 8(10), pp.8549-8565. DOI: 10.1007/s12517-015-1833-4. Springer.
- R Nagarajan, M.P Jonathan, Priyadarsi D Roy, G Muthusankar, C Lakshumanan, (2015a) Decadal evaluation of a spit in the Baram River mouth in Eastern Malaysia: Continental Shelf Research, 105(15): 18-25. Elsevier.
- Nagarajan, M.P. Jonathan, Priyadarsi D Roy, M.V. Prasanna and A. Elayaraja (2014) Enrichment pattern of leachable trace metals in roadside soils of Miri City, Eastern Malaysia. Environmental Earth Sciences. 72: 1765-1773. DOI:10.1007/s12665-014-3080-5. Springer.
- Armstrong-Altrin J.S., Nagarajan R, Lee Yong Il, Kasper-Zubillaga Juan J., Córdoba-Saldaña Leslie P., (2014) “Geochemistry of sands along the San Nicolás and San Carlos beaches, Gulf of California, Mexico: implication for provenance” Turkish Journal of Earth Sciences. 23: 533-558. DOI: 10.3906/yer-1309-21.
- Nagarajan, Priyadarsi D. Roy, M.P. Jonathan, Rufino Lozano-Santacruz, Franz L. Kessler and M.V. Prasanna (2014) Geochemistry of Neogene sedimentary rocks from Borneo Basin, East Malaysia: Paleo-weathering, provenance and tectonic setting. Chemie der Erde-Geochemistry. 74 (1) 139-146. Elsevier.
- Nagarajan, M. P. Jonathan, P. D. Roy, L. Wai-Hwa, M.V. Prasanna, S.K. Sarkar and M. Navarrete-López (2013) Metal concentrations in sediments from tourist beaches of Miri City, Sarawak, Malaysia (Borneo Island). Marine PollutionBulletin.73(1), 369–373. Elsevier.
- J.S. Armstrong-Altrin, R.Nagarajan, J. Madhavaraju, L.Rosalez-Hoz, Y. Il Lee, V.Balaram, A. Cruz-Martinez and G. Avila-Ramirez (2013) Geochemistry of Jurassic and upper Cretaceous shales from the Molango Region, Hidalgo, eastern Mexico: Implications for source-area weathering, provenance, and tectonic setting. Comptes Rendus Geoscience. 345(4): 185–202 DOI: 10.1016/j.crte.2013.03.004. Elsevier
Ongoing Research Projects
- Principal Investigator: Geochemistry and distribution of trace metals in river sediments. (2014-2017)
- Co- Principal Investigator: Mapping of Soil Erosion Risk in the Catchment Area of the Baram River using Landsat and GIS (2014-2017)
- Co-investigator Reservoir Characterisation for CO2 injectivity and flooding: Offshore Malaysia (2014-2017)
- Co-investigator: A study on the status of salt water intrusion along the Miri coast, East Malaysia using Geoelectrical, Remote sensing and GIS techniques (2015-2017)
- Editorial Board member – Sustainable Water Resources Management (Springer)
- Member – American Association of Petroleum Geologist (AAPG)
- Member – European Association of Geologist and Engineer (EAGE)
- Life Member – Association of Geoscientists for International Development (AGID).
- Fellow – Society Earth Scientists (SES): Earth Science India
- Life Member – Indian Association of Sedimentologists (IAS).
- Full Member – Geological Society of Malaysia
- Visiting Professor: Anna University, Chennai, India